2017 Canadian Nats Junior Men Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Junior Men Short Program

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm thinking, but maybe the new generation of men is alright.

Conrad, Stephen, Roman, Nic, even Joseph if he can get the 3A and 4T to work. Canada needs more than 1 guy to get 3 spots at Worlds (unless we've got another World champion??), help win team events, and spur the competition further. I've seen it this season with Stephen & Conrad - being in the same section and going up against each other a few times has, in part, motivated them to be more competitive. It's also pushing Jack Dushenski to up his game. This kind of thing is also happening with junior ladies in BC/YK. And we see it at the senior level with the top 3 ladies. It's fun when things heat up.

TGee

Record Breaker
I really don't think Canada has anything to worry about in this discipline post 2018. As Plushenko would put it, the struggle for our men will be to see who can get "out of the country".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm thinking, but maybe the new generation of men is alright.

Conrad, Stephen, Roman, Nic, even Joseph if he can get the 3A and 4T to work. Canada needs more than 1 guy to get 3 spots at Worlds (unless we've got another World champion??), help win team events, and spur the competition further. I've seen it this season with Stephen & Conrad - being in the same section and going up against each other a few times has, in part, motivated them to be more competitive. It's also pushing Jack Dushenski to up his game. This kind of thing is also happening with junior ladies in BC/YK. And we see it at the senior level with the top 3 ladies. It's fun when things heat up.

benett and nam are also young and can be added to that list ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
benett and nam are also young and can be added to that list ;)

Someone discussed it elsewhere (not on GS) but Nam is likely very well aware of his issues in regards to speed. The fact that he isn't addressing them is a bit concerning. I see Shoma Uno, who won Junior Worlds the year after Nam, and I see how different they are. In work ethic, desire to win, passion for upping the technical, etc. I believe Nam can be better, but he needs to rework his basics. And if he couldn't do that under Team Cricket, then I'm not sure what he's going to do with another coach. Have I ever mentioned here that Nam reminds me of Rogozine in certain regards? I wonder if they will have similar fates.

I'm waiting to see how much Nam has furthered himself by 2018 Nationals before considering him part of this conversation about the future of Canadian men (just for myself - you are free to include him). We'll know this year if he's considered top 3 in Canada, if he'll go to 4CCs or not. I am not sure that Skate Canada would give him priority for a spot after what happened last season at Worlds.

Bennet and Keegan will continue to be part of this conversation as long as they don't retire. But they are more part of the present than the future. Keegan is the last Canadian man to medal in an ISU event, after all. :)

As for these junior men - most are fighting for a spot on the JGP next season. Conrad is trying to win a title and get to Junior Worlds. He's facing Sadovsky, Nadeau, and Phan in the battle for a spot. Those three are skating senior so we'll have to wait to see if they do better or worse than Conrad. Sadovsky likely has a spot already given his performances at JGP Tallinn and at Golden Spin. Stephen seems to be just passing through the junior level domestically. I have the feeling he'll be skating senior next season and try to place top 7 so that when he hits the JGP he'll be a national team member (in 2018-2019) and have more funding.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Someone discussed it elsewhere (not on GS) but Nam is likely very well aware of his issues in regards to speed. The fact that he isn't addressing them is a bit concerning. I see Shoma Uno, who won Junior Worlds the year after Nam, and I see how different they are. In work ethic, desire to win, passion for upping the technical, etc. I believe Nam can be better, but he needs to rework his basics. And if he couldn't do that under Team Cricket, then I'm not sure what he's going to do with another coach. Have I ever mentioned here that Nam reminds me of Rogozine in certain regards? I wonder if they will have similar fates.

I'm waiting to see how much Nam has furthered himself by 2018 Nationals before considering him part of this conversation about the future of Canadian men (just for myself - you are free to include him). We'll know this year if he's considered top 3 in Canada, if he'll go to 4CCs or not. I am not sure that Skate Canada would give him priority for a spot after what happened last season at Worlds.

Bennet and Keegan will continue to be part of this conversation as long as they don't retire. But they are more part of the present than the future. Keegan is the last Canadian man to medal in an ISU event, after all. :)

As for these junior men - most are fighting for a spot on the JGP next season. Conrad is trying to win a title and get to Junior Worlds. He's facing Sadovsky, Nadeau, and Phan in the battle for a spot. Those three are skating senior so we'll have to wait to see if they do better or worse than Conrad. Sadovsky likely has a spot already given his performances at JGP Tallinn and at Golden Spin. Stephen seems to be just passing through the junior level domestically. I have the feeling he'll be skating senior next season and try to place top 7 so that when he hits the JGP he'll be a national team member (in 2018-2019) and have more funding.

i don't disagree with you Mango;)

however, Shoma is a tiny boy and Nam who was a tiny boy is now almost 6 foot tall... and I do believe that his upper body hasn't filled in yet... he is so narrow at the shoulders... so I would give Nam the benefit of the doubt for now, because honestly, going through what he has gone through, losing his jumps, feeling like his new body isn't cooperating with the sport he's dedicated his life for, and still trying to relocate, relearn the jumps, and not give up when he could have done that easily, to me that shows a lot of fighting spirit... for all we know, maybe his new coach told him to slack off a bit until he feels one with himself... and to take things slowly.

I am hopeful yes... Keegan is older.. I think he will retired after 2018.... Bennet I could see skate a bit longer... he is only 19 after all...