2017 Canadian Nats Senior Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Short Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Doesn't anyone else like all three of the top teams???? :scratch2: :popcorn:

I really like all three of the Canadian dance teams. I think they each bring something different. I do think Weapo lost their way a bit - especially the freedances. They need to do their best and maybe the judges will reward them and Canada with two medals - they ddi it with the US. But Weapo must regain their speriority over the Shibs andChocks and Bates for that to h appen.

Right now so many teams can taste it - an oly medal at their grasp. Deep down they know P/C and V and M have twoof the medals it would appear but the bronze is up for grabs. Just so many teams with a reasonable shot - Shibs, Chock and Bates, B/S, Italians, Weapo and in a year I anticipate maybe another Russian team, G/P and H/D. 8 teams for bronze.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I do think that WP deserve to stay #2 if they skate clean

That having said W/P are favourites for 2nd place in Canada Championships given their record and class.

That is excatly what I find shocking: so many people automatically assume that W/P are no longer worth to be the number one. Within the space of 12 months, from hero to zero. :gaah: They were the dream couple, masters of the ice, people all over them at last year's Nats, but as soon as the two retirees (top class retirees, I admit) turn up, they are shoved aside. I feel very deeply that is not what they deserve.
I am a G/P fan und I keep my fingers crossed that they do as well as they can, but WeaPos still have a certain class to my mind that makes them wonderful ambassadors for Canadian ice dancing.
And yes, despite having great teams themselves, the Russians appreciate them more these days than some of the Canadian home crowd, it seems. Well, it's gonna be a very interesting event and I can't wait.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That is excatly what I find shocking: so many people automatically assume that W/P are no longer worth to be the number one. Within the space of 12 months, from hero to zero. :gaah: They were the dream couple, masters of the ice, people all over them at last year's Nats, but as soon as the two retirees (top class retirees, I admit) turn up, they are shoved aside. I feel very deeply that is not what they deserve.
I am a G/P fan und I keep my fingers crossed that they do as well as they can, but WeaPos still have a certain class to my mind that makes them wonderful ambassadors for Canadian ice dancing.
And yes, despite having great teams themselves, the Russians appreciate them more these days than some of the Canadian home crowd, it seems. Well, it's gonna be a very interesting event and I can't wait.

How is it shocking that people assume that W/P are no longer the number one? V/M were the number one team before they took time off and they've clearly showed this season that they haven't lost a step. I like W/P, don't get me wrong, but to me it's pretty obvious that V/M are the Canadian number ones again.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
funny how some people think Ice Dance is dead in Canada since many teams retired and split this year... ermmm hello top of page 4 of the short dance thread a week before it even happens?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

When I was a teenager and watched soap operas I would always marvel at those lovely girls who cried so prettily and never had running mascara or a snotty nose and able to speak coherently. I wanted to be like that. Instead I am an gulping, sobbing, wiping my nose, desperately looking for a tissue kind of girl if I get really emotional. Kaitlyn Weaver cries like I do. With our whole hearts leaking out on the floor for all to see. Thank goodness she has the lovely Andrew Poje to lean on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When I was a teenager and watched soap operas I would always marvel at those lovely girls who cried so prettily and never had running mascara or a snotty nose and able to speak coherently. I wanted to be like that. Instead I am an gulping, sobbing, wiping my nose, desperately looking for a tissue kind of girl if I get really emotional. Kaitlyn Weaver cries like I do. With our whole hearts leaking out on the floor for all to see. Thank goodness she has the lovely Andrew Poje to lean on.

exactly... I'd cry ugly if i could lean on Andrew... but since I cannot... i just cry....

Weathergal

Medalist

exactly... I'd cry ugly if i could lean on Andrew... but since I cannot... i just cry....

I'd cry tears of joy if I could lean on Andrew. :luv17::laugh::eek:: My goodness he is one handsome guy--and more importantly, seems like such a sweetheart.

maddiesparks

Rinkside

I don't think you can blame V/M for your perception of W/P being shoved aside. They made very obvious mistakes at their GP events this season yet were still given very competitive and relatively high scores. However, they did not make the GPF, whereas V/M did (undefeated all season) and won with a WR. That's why I would be surprised if V/M didn't reclaim their national title this year, not because I don't think W/P have "worth" but rather because V/M's results seem to have a sizeable edge over W/P's.

Also count me in as someone who wouldn't mind being able to lean on Andrew Poje. Met him once in person back in 2011 and he was super sweet and super tall (especially for someone who is 5'3, aha) and super dreamy.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

As a fan of both W/P and G/P I just wish them a clean skate and may the better win :) As for V/M, with such big international scores, they would have to bomb not to win, and I don't wish that upon anyone. So I'm hoping for a very high level competition between these teams & will enjoy it regardless of results :hap10:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As a fan of both W/P and G/P I just wish them a clean skate and may the better win :) As for V/M, with such big international scores, they would have to bomb not to win, and I don't wish that upon anyone. So I'm hoping for a very high level competition between these teams & will enjoy it regardless of results :hap10:

The same view here :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm watching this thread and think :popcorn:

my two cents - from my purely subjective point of view I am glad and feel privledged to see those 3 teams being on top and bringing so much in every competition, each one with something special and unique. Tessa and Scott - this mature, intimate connection combined with that great refinement and versatility, Kaitlyn and Andrew - being such great entertainers, always expressing so much of emotions, bringing that sensual 'rawness', especially with their best FDs, Piper and Paul - always being themselves, staying proudly on bit odd/quirky side and bringing some originality and uniqueness in terms of programs/music chosen.

Looking at the season so far and taking into consideration WeaPo switch to Morozov, Tessa and Scott's shockingly (for me, because I did not expect such scores and such strong disposition from the very beginning) amazing return and striking set of programs combined with constant rise from Psquared, it could look like gold is locked (unless a major bombing or other natural catastrophe will happen) and there will be a fierce battle for silver, I have no doubt about it. Heck - for me, looking just at material from all 3 teams, ALL of them could win if skating lights out of their programs.

I am not a happy person with WeaPo under Morozov, but I do think that the change was a necessary thing and if they wanted to do it, better now than in Olympic season as there is expected to get used to new dynamics in their team. So far this season, their outings were maybe not as strong as we would wish them to look like, but I do feel like they have a good, impactful material, they just have to perfect and 'automatize' technical side and sell programs as they do the best. I think that past two seasons were quite tough on them and they somehow lost their power and confidence in executing their stuff - they are still one of the best performers and entertainers in the field. I wish they would get it back and being 2nd at Nats (realistically, b/c gold seems to be out of reach) could be a boost they need, all in their heads and bodies.

I expect nothing but excellent entertainment, sharp execution and passionate performances from all 3 teams, may the best team win!:cheer:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Hey, does anyone know what happened to Bent/Razgulajevs? Aren't they supposed to be competing in senior ice dance now?

LadyB

Record Breaker
I've got my fingers firmly crossed for Piper Gilles. I'd be devastated if they couldn't perform tonight after this great build-up during the season. I was hoping for them to secure the momentum during Nats and finish the season at 4CC and Worlds on as high a note as they can possibly manage. :scard8:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Me too!!!! I am hoping it's not a "real flu" virus... just a big cold... flu gets you down for several days... I am heading to Ottawa and I really want to see them do their SD!!!!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Me too!!!! I am hoping it's not a "real flu" virus... just a big cold... flu gets you down for several days... I am heading to Ottawa and I really want to see them do their SD!!!!

Best of luck to you, 4everchan! Hope you have a great and fantastic time and see all your faves killing it.