2017 Canadian Nats Senior Short Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Short Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
KEEP YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF MY MAN!!! :ddevil:

Don't make me get in my car and drive up there!!! It's only five hours away, and I have a lead foot!

Keep your Filthy paws off my silky drawers... I'm picturing you as Sandra Dee.

rain

Record Breaker
Loved the top three. V/M were the class of the field.

A couple of obvious stumbles from W/P, but as much as I dislike Michael Jackson, I think this is a good program for them. They managed to get more of the blues feel in the first few seconds of the first portion than the French have managed all season (ducking from the pitchforks). I liked the stationary harder hip-hop bit. It just felt undertrained, at this point.

G/P - this program is just so much fun, and really stands out this season, as most of the top teams have not chosen disco. I thought it was a little bit flatter than I've seen it, but reading that Gilles has the flu explains that. It's going to be an all-out battle for second.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Up until the last three teams, I must say that the field was not particularly good. Really missed seeing teams like Paul/Islam and Orford/Hill.

That being said, V/M more than made up for it. Their movements were so precise, yet they performed the routine with such abandon. Such an entertaining, sharp program. The perfect vehicle for them.

G/P were a lot of fun and huge props to Piper for just going out there and giving all that energy. They definitely captured the disco feeling perfectly. They got really high scores considering that included a 1 point deduction.

I felt the nerves with W/P (or was that just me projecting?). I so badly wanted them to skate well but when Kaitlyn made that first wobble, I was a tad anxious for the rest of the performance. However, it was still a good skate and they managed to claw their way into 2nd. Less than a point separate them from G/P though... and as the judges don't seem to have a problem with G/P potentially usurping W/P for silver, all you can hope is that both have a great, clean skate tomorrow and may the best team win.

beki

Medalist
Chiming in as someone who hadn't watched W/P and G/P's SDs yet this season—I could see Piper and Paul moving up. Kaitlyn and Andrew have great quality, but Piper and Paul have more dynamism and standout material. Confidence and momentum are on their side.

I'm a Morosov skeptic and I'm not sure he's successfully showcased W/P. I have to say I enjoyed the Eminem program he choreographed for American senior man Jimmy Ma much more.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
To someone smarter than me: can someone tell me where the stumbles from WeaPo SD was counted? Their TES is higher that G/P, all levels 4, all positive GOE. Did it lower PCS a little? I'm really curious what judges did to reflect they had these stumbles, I;d like to know in what area they can score higher if they skate flawlessly this program.

olayolay

On the Ice
To someone smarter than me: can someone tell me where the stumbles from WeaPo SD was counted? Their TES is higher that G/P, all levels 4, all positive GOE. Did it lower PCS a little? I'm really curious what judges did to reflect they had these stumbles, I;d like to know in what area they can score higher if they skate flawlessly this program.

Their stumbles weren't really counted. Their no-touch midline should have been downgraded because of Andrew's twizzle mistake at the end. I know this is Nationals, but it's ludicrous that still counted as a Level 4.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Lucky you! I think he's quite cute, especially shaven. Doesn't he always keep a tiny stache for the tango?

if I recall correctly, he shaved them at Nepela, but kept a tiny ones for both SC and TdF. I think that tiny 'stache are good, giving that Argentine macho vibe #suaveoverload

rain

Record Breaker
Their stumbles weren't really counted. Their no-touch midline should have been downgraded because of Andrew's twizzle mistake at the end. I know this is Nationals, but it's ludicrous that still counted as a Level 4.

This is the one that's problematic. Their first stumble wasn't on an element, so isn't reflected in the technical score. The twizzle at the end of the step sequence, however, to my mind is still clearly part of that sequence.

sowcow

On the Ice

This is the one that's problematic. Their first stumble wasn't on an element, so isn't reflected in the technical score. The twizzle at the end of the step sequence, however, to my mind is still clearly part of that sequence.

As others have mentioned, the first stumble by Kaitlyn was not during an element.

As for Andrew's stumble at the end of the "non-touch step sequence", I think he may have completed the twizzle (and therefore, it counted towards obtaining the higher Level for the element).
  • When Andrew loses balance, it looks like he is going to have to put his free-foot down to save himself from falling; BUT I'm not sure that his free-foot (toe-pick) actually touches the ice or not (the camera angle is awkward).
    OR
  • IF his free-foot (toe-pick) did touch, he may have already completed the 'minimum rotations' for "twizzle turns performed within a step-sequence" to be given full credit ... before he touched down with the free-foot (toe-pick).
    • This would mean the twizzle turn still counted towards achieving the top Level for the element (although clearly the GOE for the element should have been hit).

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, but does that mean a team can stumble through program as long as it's not technical element? Shouldn't that be somehow reflected in PCS then? (and maybe it was...)

sowcow

On the Ice
Ok, but does that mean a team can stumble through program as long as it's not technical element? Shouldn't that be somehow reflected in PCS then? (and maybe it was...)

Yes, you're absolutely correct - stumbles "outside of the required elements" should affect relevant PC scores accordingly.

Which specific PC scores should be marked down?? It all depends on the severity of the stumble, whether it was during a transition element (versus just tripping over a toe-pick while skating forwards) and also how much the stumble affected the overall program fluidity/mood/etc. That means, any one (or more) of Skating skills and/or Transitions and/or Performance and/or Interpretation of the Music/Timing could be marked down accordingly. The only PC score that probably would not be affected by a stumble is the Composition score (...although, perhaps there is a way I haven't thought of where a stumble could affect this PC as well?!?).

Last edited:

xox

On the Ice
Top three teams awesome awesone one and kudos to new team Soucisse and Firus in first season together!