2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs SP

QuadThrow

Medalist
Thanks! And I see it was with + GOE too. Well, not as high as Tarasova/Morozov, but that's still many points.

EDIT: I'm mad the camera angle of their twist was bad, I can't clearly see their "difficult entry"... I was curious why they got level 4 then, but never again. They almost alwyas do have clean catch, he has his arms down, she did have split position. But she never had ar over her head, so it must be difficult entry for level 4, and that's the only thing I couldn't see :scowl: I have watched their twist from LP same event (and same tech panel), and their twist (from angle of camera) look excatly the same, yet they didn't get credit for difficult entry in LP. Makes no sense. And actually in LP camera angle show the step before take off.... I don't understand it, because if they got credit in SP, they should have got it in FP too. (Btw. I wonder what was break down for Sui/Han twist in SP at Worlds, since it look to me like they went for all 5 features)

The levels for the twist are not clear and a bit subjective. The difficult entry usually depends on the time between the transition and the take off. T/M directly go into the twist after steps. S/M have a little break. So they do not get the feature for this (I do understand why they do not try change it).

Maybe the technical commitee decided for level 4 this time at Skate Canada for D/R but the committee defined this as level 3 after the discussiion backstage after the SP. So they only gave level 3 in the Free.

A big miracle is the split position. That is the reason why S/M only got level 2. Their coach mentioned that Aljonas split should not be good enough. What the hell??

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Julianne SĂ©guin and Charlie Bilodeau have WD from the competition due a concussion suffered by Julianne.

(source)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah. It is said. But the only thing they definitly announced is the 3T+3T+Seq in the Free.

I think they will go for the 3ATh in the short. What else should the do?

actually, i am pretty sure I read that they were scaling down the throws, and even reorganized their layout so that Aliona wouldn't be doing a salchow throw as the last element... so not only the jumps but the throws have been scaled down for Europeans.

I really doubt Aliona will risk the 3A throw in the SP. Her ankle is still weak.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL but this was Di Manno at her nicest LOL :) I agree...interesting info about the twist and getting more ice coverage and flow...

I think that it's totally fine for them, at this point, to scale down a bit on their throws. Yes BV will go down. However, they have already made a name for themselves. If they skate clean and manage to improve small details like the twist and some more flow etc... PCS will rise so will GOE... I think they can, at this point, play a safe card. They pushed the sport. Not many teams have been able to follow. They kept pushing.. They are now rebalancing risk and reward.

I don't like how this article was written, but oh well. At least there was some interesting info. I'm curious about the twist. They never got level 4 to this point, right? (If they did, please remind me) I think it's good idea for them. They are not going to do the quad one in FP anyway, so they may max out the BV of triple one. And also give them additional advantage over Seguin/Bilodeau. I checked protocols from this season, and S/B had done twist level 4 once, at Skate America, but without positive GOE (so very similiar to Tarasova/Morozov), in the past their triple twist level 3 was very good, so they could rival D/R in that element. Btw. I hope S/B will try SBS 3Lo again.

QuadThrow

Medalist
actually, i am pretty sure I read that they were scaling down the throws, and even reorganized their layout so that Aliona wouldn't be doing a salchow throw as the last element... so not only the jumps but the throws have been scaled down for Europeans.

I really doubt Aliona will risk the 3A throw in the SP. Her ankle is still weak.

They planned to change the order of elements shortly after the Grand Prix in Russia. And I saw the new style at German Nationals. They switched the pairspin and the salchow throw.

Aljona has even still not announced that she ditches the 4STh. We will see.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The levels for the twist are not clear and a bit subjective. The difficult entry usually depends on the time between the transition and the take off. T/M directly go into the twist after steps. S/M have a little break. So they do not get the feature for this (I do understand why they do not try change it).

Maybe the technical commitee decided for level 4 this time at Skate Canada for D/R but the committee defined this as level 3 after the discussiion backstage after the SP. So they only gave level 3 in the Free.

A big miracle is the split position. That is the reason why S/M only got level 2. Their coach mentioned that Aljonas split should not be good enough. What the hell??

Yeah, I agree it is a little bit subjective. What excatly is "clear split" position and when it isn't clear? I'm wondering why S/M are geting only level 2. I've just watched both of their twists in SP and LP in TdF twice and in both there was clear split position, his arms down and very, very clean catch. They may think the difficult entry is not directly before take off, ok. But that's still level 3, in both cases... I wonder how it will be judged at Europeans next week. I wonder what tech panell see that they didn't award S/M a level 3. As for me, they even have difficult entry. I wonder if they got feedback why they aren't awarded levels. I guess I will never understand judging completely...

ETA: You've got to be kidding me. S/B has injury again??? What have they done to deserve it.... I wish Julianne quick recovery, but hope she will take all rest she needs.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
Sad about S/B. I hope she is able to take her time to recover. Concussions can be nasty business and can either heal quickly, or take a very long time.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Yes, that is correct; S/M are doing easier throws at least at Europeans in order to protect Aliona's foot.

Oh yeah. I read this article. Do not worry;)

My point is that Aljona and Bruno did not say something specific concerning the throws. It seems like they are going to decide directly at Euros which throws they are going to perform.

According to some instagram clips it does not seem that they will ditch the 3ATh. So I think decreasing the level of difficulty means going for the 3Sth instead of trying again the 4STh in the Free.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO16vCIFLz9/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO4ewpUlENJ/

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Oh no! Does that mean that S/B will be without a Worlds spot?

Not sure. It probably depends on their recovery, if they can go to 4CC, how whoever takes silver and bronze at Nationals performs at 4CC, etc.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I found it.

I have one wish for these new teams: Personal Bests!

No crashy twists and no aborted lifts (I'm looking at you MM)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
6 months of skating (she is an American from Chicago) together. Fall on the SBS jumps, Tracy admires the ice coverage, good throw triple loop, mirror footwork sequence (a little scratchy), spins way off on the synchro but they are new. Skated to Sting. I think they did pretty well. Nice costumes.,

rain

Record Breaker
6 months of skating (she is an American from Chicago) together. Fall on the SBS jumps, Tracy admires the ice coverage, good throw triple loop, mirror footwork sequence (a little scratchy), spins way off on the synchro but they are new. Skated to Sting. I think they did pretty well. Nice costumes.,

I thought they were impressive for such a new team, especially since she wasn't a pairs girl. The throw was gorgeous, good lift. They'll easily be able to upgrade the twist.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If you guys are relying on me to do the PBP this is going to suck big time.

Another team that has only been together 6 months. A Russian lady and Canadian dude and a crashy triple twist. Got the sbs triples, skating to Lucy in the sky with diamonds (not the beatles), They are going to be really sad they missed the twist because so far they are doing well. A little slow on the step sequence, decent unison on the spins for a new team. Weird end to the program. Not on the music, before the music ended. They are with the wirtzes. (

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought they were impressive for such a new team, especially since she wasn't a pairs girl. The throw was gorgeous, good lift. They'll easily be able to upgrade the twist.

I wonder why she decided to go to pairs. It's always interesting to me when people switch disciplines.