How do you watch Nationals without NBC? | Golden Skate

How do you watch Nationals without NBC?

narcissa

Record Breaker
Is there a live stream? I have IceNetwork subscription but they don't play the last few flights.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've pretty much stopped watching US Nationals because NBC shows abbreviated and selective coverage and Ice Network' coverage, like most other events, results in quality streams being blacked out. :yawn:

Russian Nationals has it down with the ESPN3 full event coverage. I look forward to it every year and it's become a part of my Christmas tradition. That's how you get the world to see and show interest your the sport.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I watch what I can on IN and then for those last flights there is almost always an NBC stream provided...even if not the official one. ;)

matscol

Rinkside
If you're in the US with cable or satellite, last year NBCSn - sports network channel of NBC - showed the last couple of groups live right after ice network dropped. That was important, because NBC either (my memory is foggy) delayed an hour or skipped over a handful of skaters (an entire warmup group maybe?). Outside the U.S. it's possible that an unofficial NBCSn stream might appear.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The blacked out portions of the event (eg. 2nd to last group of the ice dance) were posted on Ice Network @the week after Nationals.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If I'm not at the event, then Universal Sports or a stream.

da96103

Record Breaker
Last year there was a South Korean fan who streamed the event. Because no one could watch in online through US channels. Even the American fans have to watch the stream from a foreign country for an event that was held in their country.

Anyone remembered this?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there a live stream? I have IceNetwork subscription but they don't play the last few flights.

Not the same as seeing the skating, but good live resources to follow the action (both offered again this year, thanks to Prudential sponsorship):

~ Skate Radio live audio on IN -- available when NBC is live on air
Skate Radio has its own commentators + IIRC, sound from the arena (announcer, program music, crowd reaction) is audible​

~ the live scoring page on NBCsports.com

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Usually on the day or on the days leading up to the event someone starts a thread and tons of awesome people post live streams (and are patient and kind enough to help others navigate foreign language sites)!! I'm not sure if anything is out there right now, but I know next week there are bound to be streams posted :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Usually on the day or on the days leading up to the event someone starts a thread and tons of awesome people post live streams (and are patient and kind enough to help others navigate foreign language sites)!! I'm not sure if anything is out there right now, but I know next week there are bound to be streams posted :thumbsup:

In the past, non-official streams for US Nats have been far fewer than for major international comps ... but just one good one would do the trick.
And I agree that GS members are very good about sharing. (auser :bow: being a prime example.)

BTW, deedee mentioned in Max's thread that she will be able to watch on TV in Japan via a paid channel.
No telling whether a third party will transmit a non-official stream thereof, but this page has information (in Japanese) about the paid TV channel in Japan:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Not the same as seeing the skating, but good live resources to follow the action (both offered again this year, thanks to Prudential sponsorship):

~ Skate Radio live audio on IN -- available when NBC is live on air
Skate Radio has its own commentators + IIRC, sound from the arena (announcer, program music, crowd reaction) is audible​

~ the live scoring page on NBCsports.com

I've listened to this before thanks to your information. Very good listening. Am I right in remembering Tanith Belbin being one of the commentators?

In the past, non-official streams for US Nats have been far fewer than for major international comps ... but just one good one would do the trick.
And I agree that GS members are very good about sharing. (auser :bow: being a prime example.)

That's my experience as well. I know I watched a stream at 2011 nationals because I could stay up. US national events are mostly at an inconvinient time for European fans. So I don't recall if I even tried to find a stream recently. My hopes are with those lovely posters doing the 'Videos No Spoilers' (if it's possible) :bow:

loopy

Final Flight
Last year there was a South Korean fan who streamed the event. Because no one could watch in online through US channels. Even the American fans have to watch the stream from a foreign country for an event that was held in their country.

Anyone remembered this?

YES! If I remember it was a Korean fan using a Chinese platform or a Chinese fan using a Korean platform. I am hoping and hoping they will do the same this year. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've listened to this before thanks to your information. Very good listening. Am I right in remembering Tanith Belbin being one of the commentators? ...

Tanith will not be part of Skate Radio this year -- BUT as anchor of IN's IceDesk webcasts before and after each senior competition, Tanith will be moderating discussions among the IN commentators, leading interviews, etc.

The same was true last year. But you very well could be correct that Tanith was on Skate Radio going further back -- sorry, I don't remember one way or the other.

Anyway, speaking of IN's IceDesk webcasts, I like to try to catch most of them (either live or archived).
For anyone who does not know, the IceDesk webcasts do not require a paid IN subscription (in contrast to IN's live streaming of the competition itself).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
US Nationals as a whole is not geoblocked on IN.

In years past you used to be able to buy a single-event pass, which I duly did for US Nationals and only US Nationals. However, in recent years, IN scrapped the single-event pass, which means that even if you are geoblocked for everything else, you still have to buy a $50 full season pass.

If you aren't up for using VPNs, it's an expensive way to watch US Nationals legally.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I have cable & will be watching the US Nat'ls on NBC, NBCSN & UniHD.. Appx. 20 hours of tv coverage.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have cable & will be watching the US Nat'ls on NBC, NBCSN & UniHD.. Appx. 20 hours of tv coverage.

I only get NBC and NBCSN, at least the last time checked, and I don't think anything has changed. So, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be missing out on the Men's short. :( All because they're showing NASCAR Hall of Fame stuff on NBCSN that I'm sure no one really cares about aside from the crazy NASCAR diehards.

temadd

Final Flight
As a Californian I am always looking for a live stream after Icenetwork stops covering. It makes me crazy that NBC won't let me see the final groups live. As a way of protest I don't even record it on my DVR. They brag about having all this live coverage but fail to say that only applies if you're on the East Coast. I hate NBC for this

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a Californian I am always looking for a live stream after Icenetwork stops covering. It makes me crazy that NBC won't let me see the final groups live. As a way of protest I don't even record it on my DVR. They brag about having all this live coverage but fail to say that only applies if you're on the East Coast. I hate NBC for this

I agree. I live on the west coast too and it's complete bs that NBC shows all other Senior finals live but always tape delays the Ladies. :mad:

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This is my first Nationals without cable, so I'll be watching only with a hope and a prayer ;) I'm on the West Coast and usually waited for it to air here because I liked seeing it on my TV, but I know livestreams have come available in the past. In fact, I think sabinfire provided one of the streams one year, and it was great.