Icenetwork pre-nationals conference calls | Golden Skate

Icenetwork pre-nationals conference calls

Nathan13

Medalist
Tarah Kayne's injury sounds scary and seriously painful. I hope another withdrawal isn't on the horizon.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I felt sorry for Tarah and Danny, they only had two reporters on their call and it lasted just 11 minutes. Not much respect shown to the reigning US champs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Reposting article about Jason Brown from the US Men's thread:
http://www.espn.com/olympics/figures...hips-jan-14-22

No objection to re-posting the Jason link -- but will mention that it is based on McCarvel's own rather lengthy interview with Jason.

In other words, it is not based on one of the USFS teleconferences that are the main topic of this thread.

BTW, thank you for starting the thread :thank:.
Again, I have no problem with putting the Jason interview link here.
Just making note that it is a different animal from articles that are based on the teleconferences.

Hugs to Jason :ghug: and to others overcoming injury. (And to all who have withdrawn :sad4:.)

Good luck to everyone in KC :yay:.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
No objection to re-posting the Jason link -- but will mention that it is based on McCarvel's own rather lengthy interview with Jason.

In other words, it is not based on one of the USFS teleconferences that are the main topic of this thread.

BTW, thank you for starting the thread :thank:.
Again, I have no problem with putting the Jason interview link here.
Just making note that it is a different animal from articles that are based on the teleconferences.

Hugs to Jason :ghug: and to others overcoming injury. (And to all who have withdrawn :sad4:.)

Good luck to everyone in KC :yay:.

I'm looking forward to hearing Jason's teleconference...the article paints a really bleak picture, and leads me to thinking he may even withdraw. I'm hoping to hear something a little more positive from Jason himself.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to hearing Jason's teleconference...the article paints a really bleak picture, and leads me to thinking he may even withdraw. I'm hoping to hear something a little more positive from Jason himself.

I'm not sure what time today his telecom is, but icenetwork has been annoyingly slow about putting them up.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is USFS paying the reporters to mention Nathan Chen? This is annoying the heck out of me. They have asked Adam, Ashley and now the Shibs. Grrr.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is USFS paying the reporters to mention Nathan Chen? This is annoying the heck out of me. They have asked Adam, Ashley and now the Shibs. Grrr.

Lynn Rutherford's twitter is hilarious on this matter.

It's cheesing me off too. Good lord, there are other skaters than Chen.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Lynn Rutherford's twitter is hilarious on this matter.

It's cheesing me off too. Good lord, there are other skaters than Chen.

Ha ha - I thought Jason's telecom was supposed to be today, but maybe they moved it to tomorrow in order to give PH time to absorb the McCarvel article and formulate new questions that only subtly allude to Nathan. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha ha - I thought Jason's telecom was supposed to be today, but maybe they moved it to tomorrow in order to give PH time to absorb the McCarvel article and formulate new questions that only subtly allude to Nathan. ;)

I'm coming up with a list of the Chen-centric questions Hersh is sure to ask Max on his call.

gsyzf

Medalist

It's quite common for reporters to ask skaters about their training mate if the reporters' interest is their training mate. Adam, Ashley and Shibs are Nathan's training mates. It just means the reporters (and the general public) has more interest in Nathan.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

You were so busy griping about Phil that you apparently missed :laugh: that Jason's call indeed already was taking place.

.... Good lord, there are other skaters than Chen.

The U.S. does not have any other skater(s) at the moment who just completed her/his/their first-ever GP season by winning the silver at the GPF.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Just listened to all three of the ice dance conference. It's refreshing but also a bit telling that out of all the ice dance conferences, Madison and Zach are the most open about stating they're paying attention to their competition and working on incorporating aspects of their strengths to their skating. They mentioned the Shibs' strengths a few times and trying to be more like them while still dancing the way they themselves know how to dance. Some here criticized H/D for not having their own style/identity and just adopting the styles of their training bases, and I don't know if that answer will help with that image. That said, it's smart to pay attention to what your closest competitors are doing and what they're gaining points for and to work on that for your own development, and I'm sure every competitor does that to some extent.

As for the others, thank goodness Dave Lease came up with some real substantive questions for the Shibs after one reporter asked about Nathan and the following one had no questions because the Nathan-asker took her question. The rest of the conference afterwards was pretty good because the questions were better. After Christine Brennan asked The Shibs point blank whether they could win 2018 Gold, Alex gave a more polite answer saying he didn't want to be presumptuous but that they want to keep improving what they do best and be the best version of themselves and trust that it'll show in the results, but Maia was a bit more open and said she believes if they work on maximizing their strengths then they could win. I'm starting to believe what I hear about Maia being the leader of the duo. Interesting that they're adding more instrumentation to the Phillip Glass piece (the second half) of their FD while trying to keep the integrity of the piece as they envisioned it. They said their program has grown since the GPF and they needed the music to match that growth.

Madison and Evan spoke about not paying too much attention to their "disappointing" results because anyone who pays too much attention to it will just go crazy. They said some nice answers about how much they're loving skating and just want to keep doing it for as long as possible. They then mentioned they changed the choreography a bit in the middle of the program to make it more "romantic". They also said their experiences, including the rough times, made them grow closer together.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I realize that Nathan is the new flavor of the month. But I still think it is rude. These conference calls are supposed to be that skater/team's time to shine. Nathan's call will probably go the full 30 minutes and have a record number of reporters. Maybe Lynn will ask him how it feels to train with the Shibs, or Ashley or Adam.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You were so busy griping about Phil that you apparently missed :laugh: that Jason's call indeed already was taking place.

The U.S. does not have any other skater(s) at the moment who just completed her/his/their first-ever GP season by winning the silver at the GPF.

Ice coverage, I would be very grateful if you would please just accept that you and I have different opinions on Phil Hersh sometimes and leave it at that.

And thanks for letting me know, but I actually didn't miss the fact that Jason's telecom took place today.

Barb

Record Breaker
Just listened to all three of the ice dance conference. It's refreshing but also a bit telling that out of all the ice dance conferences, Madison and Zach are the most open about stating they're paying attention to their competition and working on incorporating aspects of their strengths to their skating. They mentioned the Shibs' strengths a few times and trying to be more like them while still dancing the way they themselves know how to dance. Some here criticized H/D for not having their own style/identity and just adopting the styles of their training bases, and I don't know if that answer will help with that image. That said, it's smart to pay attention to what your closest competitors are doing and what they're gaining points for and to work on that for your own development, and I'm sure every competitor does that to some extent.

As for the others, thank goodness Dave Lease came up with some real substantive questions for the Shibs after one reporter asked about Nathan and the following one had no questions because the Nathan-asker took her question. The rest of the conference afterwards was pretty good because the questions were better. After Christine Brennan asked The Shibs point blank whether they could win 2018 Gold, Alex gave a more polite answer saying he didn't want to be presumptuous but that they want to keep improving what they do best and be the best version of themselves and trust that it'll show in the results, but Maia was a bit more open and said she believes if they work on maximizing their strengths then they could win. I'm starting to believe what I hear about Maia being the leader of the duo. Interesting that they're adding more instrumentation to the Phillip Glass piece (the second half) of their FD while trying to keep the integrity of the piece as they envisioned it. They said their program has grown since the GPF and they needed the music to match that growth.

Madison and Evan spoke about not paying too much attention to their "disappointing" results because anyone who pays too much attention to it will just go crazy. They said some nice answers about how much they're loving skating and just want to keep doing it for as long as possible. They then mentioned they changed the choreography a bit in the middle of the program to make it more "romantic". They also said their experiences, including the rough times, made them grow closer together.

I know, I remember the interview in TSL https://youtu.be/ReHMsQ4QYjI?t=231, when they asked to Marina about Maia being the leader I thought it was just a joke but maybe is true :think::cool2:.

So, probably Evan and Madison will continue after Korea, interesting. Just thinking about how many american good teams will be competing after Korea gives me headache.
And about Nathan, is impressive how much attention he is getting, I wonder when he will start to feel the pressure and expectations above him. I know, japanese skaters deal with this kind of attention daily but at least is gradual.

Last edited:

gsyzf

Medalist
I realize that Nathan is the new flavor of the month. But I still think it is rude. These conference calls are supposed to be that skater/team's time to shine. Nathan's call will probably go the full 30 minutes and have a record number of reporters. Maybe Lynn will ask him how it feels to train with the Shibs, or Ashley or Adam.

It would be rude if the reporters only asked about Nathan during someone else's conference calls. Only one reporter in each conference asked about Nathan. Once the interviewee answered the reporter's question about Nathan, the other reporters didn't ask other questions about Nathan any more because they already got the answer. Also, reporters will only ask a skater about Nathan if that skater has some connection with Nathan, e.g. training mate, rival or friend. They are not going to ask someone about Nathan if that skater has no connection with Nathan whatsoever, e.g. Gracie gold, other dance teams or pairs team.

Last edited:

gsyzf

Medalist
And about Nathan, is impressive how much attention he is getting, I wonder when he will start to feel the pressure and expectations above him. I know, japanese skaters deal with this kind of attention daily but at least is gradual.

Figure skating is not popular in the USA and is much more popular in Japan. Ladies get the most attention from the media and the public in the USA, not men. I don't think any American male skater will ever feel the expectation that Japanese skaters do even if he feels a sudden increase in public attention.