FEB 2017 NORTH KOREA FS Comp. Invitation | Golden Skate

FEB 2017 NORTH KOREA FS Comp. Invitation

ICESKATEKOREA

Spectator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

WEBSITE: http://paektuculturalexchange.org/north-korea-welcomes-international-figure-skaters-and-media-to-participate-in-international-competition-this-february/

North Korea Welcomes International Figure Skaters and Media to participate in International Competition this February
PRESS RELEASE (2017-01-13):

PYONGYANG, North Korea (DPRK) – The 25th annual Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival will take place at the Pyongyang Ice Rink this February 15-17 2017. This event is one of the festivities which is held to celebrate the “Day of the Shining Star” and to globally promote independence, and international peace and friendship.

PCE Figure skatingVarious levels of funding are available to support qualified international figure skaters who are interested in competing in this special event. The organizing committee will also offer sightseeing tours of the capital and athletes will be invited to attend official government commemorative events held during this nationwide festival involving relevant government officials, North Korean and international athletes.

Interested figure skaters can contact the Canadian-based Paektu Cultural Exchange (PCE) for more information on competing and attending this unique event. PCE is an official partner of the DPRK Ministry of Sport and collaborates to promote and organize international sports exchanges, competitions, training and educational programs.

To date, 8 professional international figure skaters have already been confirmed for this year’s competition which will include a former Olympic gold medalist, who has also won the World, European, and Grand Prix Final figure skating champions.

“This event aims to challenge negative stereotypes, allow people to gain knowledge and understanding, share in a unique experience, and hopefully foster friendships through friendly competition while taking part in this exciting event,” said Michael Spavor, Paektu Cultural Exchange’s director.

Spavor organized several delegations for the NBA hall of Famer Dennis Rodman, culminating in an internationally renowned basketball game in January 2014 between the DPRK National Basketball Team and former NBA players. He also organized the 2016 Pyongyang International Friendship Hockey Exhibition (PIFIHE), as well as participated in the 2014 Inoki North Korea Wrestling Extravaganza.

Spectators are welcome to attend the event, with proceeds from group and private tour packages being used to support projects for intellectually disabled athletes in the DPRK. Please contact as soon as possible as the sign-up time is limited.

Last year’s international figure skaters included Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, from Russia, Alina Fjodorova from Latvia, Janina Makeenka from Belarus and Elladj Balde from Canada. Also attending this three-day event are foreign diplomats, students, athletes, representatives from international organizations, government officials, other foreign guests and overseas Koreans.

Professional media wishing to televise or cover this event can contact Paektu Cultural Exchange directly for more information.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Event Name: 25th Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival

Event Name in DPR Korean: 제25차 광명성절경축 백두산상국제휘거축전

More information and content will be released shortly through our website and social media feeds:

About Paektu Cultural Exchange

Paektu Cultural Exchange is a non-profit organization facilitating sustainable cooperation, cross-cultural exchanges involving sport, tourism, business and trade with the DPRK.

Links:

email: [email protected]

Webpage: www.paektuculturalexchange.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PaektuCulturalExchange

Twitter: www.twitter.com/mpspavor

Instagram: https://instagram.com/paektuexchanges

Google+ https://plus.google.com/+PaektuculturalexchangeOrgAgency

MEDIA

If you are a member of a news or media organization and you would like to request an interview, to attend the event or would like more information, please contact us here.

SPONSORSHIP & DONATIONS

If you are interested in sponsoring, donating or contributing to the 25th Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival please contact us here.

ON SAFETY AND SECURITY

Despite these recent issues in the media, the DPRK remains to a safe place to travel. As with all of our projects and delegations, will make sure our guests are properly briefed before traveling to North Korea.

Skye

On the Ice
I get that this is quite a prestigious competition, but why does North Korea have to hold an invitational at the same time when down south they are running a test event for the PyeongChang Olympics? :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I get that this is quite a prestigious competition, but why does North Korea have to hold an invitational at the same time when down south they are running a test event for the PyeongChang Olympics? :disapp:

Because the Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival is an annual event held to mark Kim Jong-Il's birthday (16[SUP]th[/SUP] February). And somehow I don't think there is much chance of that date changing.

I think the question should instead be "why does South Korea have to hold the Olympics test event at the same time as the big invitational in the North?"

And the answer is in the question.

It's pure politics. The South has deliberately chosen this date to hold the Olympic test event try to draw top skaters away from going to the invitational in the North.

I am so disappointed that it has come to this. This is sport. There should be no place for politics in it.

CaroLiza_fan

Skye

On the Ice
Because the Paektusan International Figure Skating Festival is an annual event held to mark Kim Jong-Il's birthday (16[SUP]th[/SUP] February).

The things you get to learn on FS boards... :laugh: North Korea has national holidays celebrating the birthdays of their previous leaders - Day of the Shining Star (Feb 16) and Day of the Sun (Apr 15) and there are all sorts of festivals held throughout the two months.

I doubt South Korea deliberately chose the dates for 4cc to overlap with Paektusan. It's an Olympic test event so the dates were most likely consulted by ISU and IOC. Just sad that we won't be able to see the lovely Ryom/Kim there. :sad21:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I doubt South Korea deliberately chose the dates for 4cc to overlap with Paektusan. It's an Olympic test event so the dates were most likely consulted by ISU and IOC.
There's certainly nothing "unusual" about this year's 4CC dates - it's normally around that time (except Olympic years?).

But the annual North Korean event is apparently into its 25th year, whereas this year is the 19th 4CC. So if there is/was an intentional/political clash, it started a long time ago (and not in South Korea)...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The things you get to learn on FS boards... :laugh: North Korea has national holidays celebrating the birthdays of their previous leaders - Day of the Shining Star (Feb 16) and Day of the Sun (Apr 15) and there are all sorts of festivals held throughout the two months.

I doubt South Korea deliberately chose the dates for 4cc to overlap with Paektusan. It's an Olympic test event so the dates were most likely consulted by ISU and IOC. Just sad that we won't be able to see the lovely Ryom/Kim there. :sad21:

There's certainly nothing "unusual" about this year's 4CC dates - it's normally around that time (except Olympic years?).

But the annual North Korean event is apparently into its 25th year, whereas this year is the 19th 4CC. So if there is/was an intentional/political clash, it started a long time ago (and not in South Korea)...

The shame! :shame:

I didn't realise that it was Four Continents that we were talking about. :eek:: I thought South Korea were holding their first ever Senior B to act as a Test Event!

Just shows how much attention I pay to where Four Continents is being held each year... :slink:

Yeah, just an unfortunate coincidence then.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Nirti

Medalist
The Paektusan price isn't on ISU calendar.
We never had any results published, it seems that's more a "promotional" competition than a real event.

So that's not really interesting for skaters, and I think we see only north korean skaters, with some invited foreign skaters (maybe invited with some money?). And for the ones who go there, if there's known, they will have to face public opprobrium in western countries (that's not the place to discuss about politic, but we cannot speak about a competition in North Korea without thinking of it.)

Last edited:

Taan

On the Ice
"To date, 8 professional international figure skaters have already been confirmed for this year’s competition which will include a former Olympic gold medalist, who has also won the World, European, and Grand Prix Final figure skating champions."

mmm who could this be?? :scratch2:

gmyers

Record Breaker
There has been controversy over skaters who have gone to this. Like when celebrities went to Chechnya.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
thx for the vid
I spot Kavalyova/Belyaev & Elladj
same like last year

I loved the women in traditional clothes:luv17:
Brian doesnt age:love:

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
oh that's interesting, Brian saying that he is very surprised by the level of the local North Korean figure skaters because we don't see them in competition and that they are very very good