News articles | Page 2 | Golden Skate

News articles

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Now I'm dumbfounded. There is achnge of rule hat a WINNER has not guranteed spot at Worlds or Olympics.... http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/Competitions/2017Nationals/world team selection.htm I wonder what about 4CC? Is it based on Nationals results? Oh dear. More drama to come I guess.

I'd be interested to know the source of his information - I couldn't find it on the USFS website. Not saying it's not true, but it would be nice to read what the policy actually says rather than this writer's interpretation of it.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'd be interested to know the source of his information - I couldn't find it on the USFS website. Not saying it's not true, but it would be nice to read what the policy actually says rather than this writer's interpretation of it.

True. I was actually looking for rules of qualifications for Worlds and 4CC for this season (or some general rule) earlier on USFSA page (about a week ago) and I found nothing. So the USFSA didn't thought of enlightening fans about their policy for this season, I hope at least skaters are well informed and I'm waiting for some confirmation...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
True. I was actually looking for rules of qualifications for Worlds and 4CC for this season (or some general rule) earlier on USFSA page (about a week ago) and I found nothing. So the USFSA didn't thought of enlightening fans about their policy for this season, I hope at least skaters are well informed and I'm waiting for some confirmation...

It may be members only information - not sure. But maybe someone else knows.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
It may be members only information - not sure. But maybe someone else knows.

Yeah, I suspect it's members only info since so many of us who are usually pretty good at finding this stuff can't seem to find it. Or it's labelled something obscure because the search feature won't pick anything up.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah, I suspect it's members only info since so many of us who are usually pretty good at finding this stuff can't seem to find it. Or it's labelled something obscure because the search feature won't pick anything up.

Buried on page 45 of the current rule book is a statement that the complete approved selection procedures will be published at usfsaonline.org. I checked and it's the members only site.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Buried on page 45 of the current rule book is a statement that the complete approved selection procedures will be published at usfsaonline.org. I checked and it's the members only site.

Someone who does not wish to be named messaged me with the following info from the USFS media guide, which aligns with previous years' procedures and says the Champion in each discipline automatically makes it. They are unaware of any potential subsequent changes.

The athlete selection procedure for the 2017 World Championships is as follows:
- The winner in each discipline (ladies, men’s, pairs and ice dance) at the 2017 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 14-22, in Kansas City, Missouri, will earn an automatic spot on the 2017 World Team.
- The remaining team members in each discipline will be selected by U.S. Figure Skating’s International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
2017 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
2016 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
2016 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
2016 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
2016 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships
2016 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
- Skaters who do not compete at the 2017 U.S. Championships due to injury or illness, but who meet the other criteria, may also be considered for selection.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Someone who does not wish to be named messaged me with the following info from the USFS media guide, which aligns with previous years' procedures and says the Champion in each discipline automatically makes it. They are unaware of any potential subsequent changes.

Ha ha! Interesting. And I think I responded to you on FSU also?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Someone quoted the actual Selection Procedures document in this post on FSU, and apparently that article IS correct. Top 5 athletes per event at Championships (plus possible others with extenuating circumstances) will be put in a pool and evaluated based on a prioritized list of competitions.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thank you both for clarifying it :thank: So it is like that now.... I think the champion still should be sent, unless USA would only got 1 spot, then they might have consider if the champion is the best option. Other than that, I think it would be fair to sent champion and the the other one or two skaters who seem to be the best bet. I can understand why they make a rule like that though. At least skaters know doing well on Nationals may be not enough (especially in discipline where there is not 3 spots) and it gives a chance for skaters who can't compete at Nationals due to injury or illness. I alway thought Russian model of selecting teams was the best though. First they are choosing team for Europeans and then they make decision for World team, including skaters who didn't compete at Nationals. I'm curious how it will work out.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
News re Team Challenge Cup:

USFS is planning another edition of Team Challenge Cup, per yesterday's USFS presser with Auxier and Raith.

"After the Olympics in 2018," said Raith.

His wording is open to more than one interpretation, but sounded to me as if he meant that the next TCC will be in the Olympic season, shortly after the 2018 Games themselves.

If I have understood Raith correctly, then it is surprising to me that next season would have two competitions with a team format: 2018 OWG and TCC.
(Not necessarily a bad thing. But I am surprised.)

I know that at the time of the first TCC, the idea seemed to be that it would continue in alternate (non-WTT) years.
But even so, TBH, I was doubtful that the next TCC would be held in the same season as the Olympics. My doubts were unwarranted, it seems.

I have not seen a news article about Raith's mention of TCC, but I thought it was worth noting.

The audio of the presser is here (no IN subscription necessary):
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/213367302/v1220309383 (Raith speaks about TCC at about the six-minute mark)

Last edited: