KC under state of emergency | Golden Skate

KC under state of emergency

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Kansas and specifically KC are now officially under a state of emergency.
Up to an inch of ice will fall over the weekend.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article315017/Kansas-City-declares-state-of-emergency.html

Lets hope for the safety of all figure skaters, their families, and fans as well as everyone in the swath of states effected by this monster.

Chris who was a radio communications tech on Easter, 1978, in Urbana Illinois and survived THAT ice storm.

(Get this...Delta is offering to change my flights for free due to emergency but I would now have to fly ON OR AFTER Jan 19th....AND pay any higher fares now in effect.)

(The Fates, of course, love figure skating and are not pleased with the USFS throwing the novices under the bus)

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If this storm materializes as projected, KC will be an icy mess. I guess I would rather this happen on opening weekend instead of championship weekend. Travel safely.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Kansas and specifically KC are now officially under a state of emergency.
Up to an inch of ice will fall over the weekend.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article315017/Kansas-City-declares-state-of-emergency.html

Lets hope for the safety of all figure skaters, their families, and fans as well as everyone in the swath of states effected by this monster.

Chris who was a radio communications tech on Easter, 1978, in Urbana Illinois and survived THAT ice storm.

(Get this...Delta is offering to change my flights for free due to emergency but I would now have to fly ON OR AFTER Jan 19th....AND pay any higher fares now in effect.)

(The Fates, of course, love figure skating and are not pleased with the USFS throwing the novices under the bus)

Just a note..... If you call Delta they almost never charge you the fare increase, if you are trying to do it on the website then it does... Delta's IT has "issues"

icemusings

On the Ice
I live in St. Louis and they closed the schools for today at 4pm yesterday and MODOT has advised everyone to stay off the roads. I'm not planning on leaving the house until at least Sunday. Last time we had an ice storm this size we also had major power outages. Stay safe everyone!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just a note..... If you call Delta they almost never charge you the fare increase, if you are trying to do it on the website then it does... Delta's IT has "issues"

In the Past, that was my experience. I would always call Customer service and they would treat me right....never paid a change fee, in fact.
Now, the pressure seems to be on....
I called customer service two weeks ago and found out I couldnt change my return flight as the two changes THEY made did not total one hour. They said it would cost me 200 bucks to change my return flight.
I agreed to that. Then I found out even though I paid to have the ability to pick my seats, they took that away for the return flight. After 4 back and forth emails, they caved and let me pick my seats.
As a long time SkyMiles customer, I am not impressed with them and the path they have chosen, but many airlines are squeezing our tushes into smaller seats as well as squeezing our wallets for their bottom line.
I am probably in the minority but I would gladly pay 20 percent more and re-regulate the airlines and get treated like a human being and not a means to the end of a bottom line for the stock holders. With
competition all but gone in the industry, it is WE that have to do THEIR bidding.
https://skift.com/2016/05/03/u-s-airline-profits-surge-to-record-levels-as-fees-increase/

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In Missouri that should read: They even moved the CHIEFS game!:biggrin:

This has nothing to do with Nats, or Steelers -Chiefs

But did I just now understand this user name: SE Missouri Skate Fan?

:palmf: that I didn't get that one before, with the hubby born in *SW* Missouri:laugh:

Ice storms are nothing to mess with, stay safe!

louisa05

Final Flight
Same storm is supposed to hit here Sunday evening. Dreading it and just hoping there are no power outages or just a short one.

I'm just relieved that the forecast for championship weekend when we are driving down is looking good! Planning to travel in the Midwest in January is always a risky venture.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
This has nothing to do with Nats, or Steelers -Chiefs

But did I just now understand this user name: SE Missouri Skate Fan?

:palmf: that I didn't get that one before, with the hubby born in *SW* Missouri:laugh:

Ice storms are nothing to mess with, stay safe!

Yes I am a skating fan from southeast MO, not many of us down here! Excited to attend nationals because prior to "moving off the face of the planet" (which is how my children describe our move) we lived in the KC area. Will get to spend time with family and friends next week.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Y'all are weak! we had a week-long storm blizzards here in Winnipeg for the Christmas-New Year's week!
:laugh::devil::laugh:

joking aside, wishing everyone to be careful and be bundled up with their closed one! :console::ghug:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Blizzards are rough, but ice storms are worse. The ice takes down trees which take down power lines, turning off electricity and HEAT for everyone affected. People have been injured or even killed in their own homes by trees falling on the house.

I live in the northeast US where we get both blizzards and ice storms, and I'd take a blizzard every time over an ice storm. At least people have the sense not to go out in a blizzard. In an ice storm, some idiots think their 4w drive is good for every road condition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Blizzards are rough, but ice storms are worse. The ice takes down trees which take down power lines, turning off electricity and HEAT for everyone affected. People have been injured or even killed in their own homes by trees falling on the house.

I live in the northeast US where we get both blizzards and ice storms, and I'd take a blizzard every time over an ice storm. At least people have the sense not to go out in a blizzard. In an ice storm, some idiots think their 4w drive is good for every road condition.

All very true. With ice, 4wd/awd get you alittle farther from the farm house before you go into the ditch....I was a radio repair person on Easter, 1978 in Urbana Illinios when a big ice storm hit. WAND's tower came crashing down.....power was out everywhere. Blizzards are easy to deal with....even whiteouts....if you dont have a bowl of stupid for breakfast. But ice kills. Last big Icestorm in Spokane I was at my office at the state patrol headquarters watching trees fall...no power at home for four days.....and we were lucky.....20,000 were still without power six days later....Nov 19th, 1996.....inch and a half of freezing rain on top of two to four inches of snow.....worst power outage in 108 years....4 people killed.....I was prepared at home but I lost quite a few trees....
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/month-climate-history-1996-eastern-washington-ice-storm

IIRC, wasnt it Angela Nikodinov mother that died in the Portland Nats Icestorm? 2005?

I wimped out and changed my flight to Monday......

meem

On the Ice
Angela's mom died when the shuttle van they were in at the airport merged onto a highway and was hit by another vehicle. I don't think there was an ice storm at the time but I could be wrong.

snip
IIRC, wasnt it Angela Nikodinov mother that died in the Portland Nats Icestorm? 2005?

I wimped out and changed my flight to Monday......

mrrice

Record Breaker
Angela's mom died when the shuttle van they were in at the airport merged onto a highway and was hit by another vehicle. I don't think there was an ice storm at the time but I could be wrong.

If I remember correctly, I think there were just flurries when the accident happened. I believe it was more about the traffic at the time as the accident occurred when they were merging onto the freeway. I'll double check..

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, I think there were just flurries when the accident happened. I believe it was more about the traffic at the time.

I wasnt there so I will take your word for it....so sad.....
I had just retired and for some reason didnt think I could afford to go....wish I had...an easy drive for me....oh well.....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Angela, her parents, and her coach left California a little late because of the heavy rain and mudslides which closed many mountain roads. The accident happened when they arrived in Portland as the shuttle was merging onto the highway. Angela and her coach were both injured and her mother was killed. Such a tragedy. The ice storm happened on the day of the ladies FS. Local forecast kept saying all the ice would be melted by evening, but it wasn't. It was really difficult to get back to the hotel and many people who had checked out of their hotel and went to the airport couldn't get out as flights were cancelled. As I recall, instead of flying out Monday morning I had to wait until Tuesday and the flight was packed....full. I'm glad I went in 2005, even with the ice storm....it was the last nationals for Michelle Kwan.