KC under state of emergency | Page 2 | Golden Skate

KC under state of emergency

b-man

Final Flight
Angela, her parents, and her coach left California a little late because of the heavy rain and mudslides which closed many mountain roads. The accident happened when they arrived in Portland as the shuttle was merging onto the highway. Angela and her coach were both injured and her mother was killed. Such a tragedy. The ice storm happened on the day of the ladies FS. Local forecast kept saying all the ice would be melted by evening, but it wasn't. It was really difficult to get back to the hotel and many people who had checked out of their hotel and went to the airport couldn't get out as flights were cancelled. As I recall, instead of flying out Monday morning I had to wait until Tuesday and the flight was packed....full. I'm glad I went in 2005, even with the ice storm....it was the last nationals for Michelle Kwan.

Wow! I wasn't familiar with this at all. Thanks for sharing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Angela, her parents, and her coach left California a little late because of the heavy rain and mudslides which closed many mountain roads. The accident happened when they arrived in Portland as the shuttle was merging onto the highway. Angela and her coach were both injured and her mother was killed. Such a tragedy. The ice storm happened on the day of the ladies FS. Local forecast kept saying all the ice would be melted by evening, but it wasn't. It was really difficult to get back to the hotel and many people who had checked out of their hotel and went to the airport couldn't get out as flights were cancelled. As I recall, instead of flying out Monday morning I had to wait until Tuesday and the flight was packed....full. I'm glad I went in 2005, even with the ice storm....it was the last nationals for Michelle Kwan.
A sad story...I would have liked to see MK win but at least I saw her win at SA 2002.
One of my problems with the airline system as it is today is that there is no slack to take care of people in the winter....Most planes are filled to capacity so that if one goes down due to mechanical problems or a bunch of flights get canceled, there is no where to put the stranded people. I was lucky to find some "last seats" on airplanes flying on Monday today to try and get to KC, but I had to work at it. I got one middle seat between two crying sick babies cause their mother changed HER seat to get away from them!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The storm is now predicted to be 1/2 to 2/3 inch of ice for KC, ending 3pm Sunday. (Officially at Midnight) That's pleanty to take down power lines and trees.
Travelers advised to keep checking flights....
Wisely, 280 churches have canceled for Sunday....

"After midnight, freezing rain takes over. It will be widespread and it will cause slick roads. There will be up to a half inch of ice accumulation through Sunday. Temps will not start to warm until the afternoon from the south to the north. That means for several hours, freezing rain will be a concern"

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Wow, "warm" weather forecasted for Championship weekend! :eek: Now I'm tempted to go. There's a chance I may actually be there, but probably only for Saturday & Sunday... maybe. Will probably decide in the next couple of days.

Olympic

On the Ice
I checked the weather forecast, and the freezing rain hits Sunday AM but it is supposed to change over to rain Sunday PM and stay above freezing for the remainder of the storm, meaning only rain. Power will go down in some areas but hopefully roads and airport will be OK when many of the competitors arrive

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I checked the weather forecast, and the freezing rain hits Sunday AM but it is supposed to change over to rain Sunday PM and stay above freezing for the remainder of the storm, meaning only rain. Power will go down in some areas but hopefully roads and airport will be OK when many of the competitors arrive

Looks like the really bad ice is sliding just to the south of KC, headed east....the fates love figureskating!
Glad I changed my flights though. Saved $230 and I dont have to get up at 4:30 am Tomarrow.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow, "warm" weather forecasted for Championship weekend! :eek: Now I'm tempted to go. There's a chance I may actually be there, but probably only for Saturday & Sunday... maybe. Will probably decide in the next couple of days.

The secret squirrel GS slack account is still up and running! We can say snarky things about the coaches' fashion statements.... ;)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
From friends in KC, they say the storm fizzled out. They got a glazing of ice on the trees but main roads are OK. Temperatures will rise this afternoon and all precip will be in the form of rain. The weather service pretty much shut down the state of MO this weekend with their forecast. Which was really good news for grocery stores, who sold out their supplies of milk and bread. French toast will be on the menu across the state!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
From friends in KC, they say the storm fizzled out. They got a glazing of ice on the trees but main roads are OK. Temperatures will rise this afternoon and all precip will be in the form of rain. The weather service pretty much shut down the state of MO this weekend with their forecast. Which was really good news for grocery stores, who sold out their supplies of milk and bread. French toast will be on the menu across the state!

The storm went south of KC. But was never as bad as they thought.....
Ice storms are very hard to predict but I think they should have not been so "the sky is falling" sure....
Here are pics from the Kansas/OK storm of late 2015, a real storm.
http://strangesounds.org/2015/12/deadly-ice-storm-oklahoma-kansas-pictures-videos.html

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
In 2009 we had a terrible ice storm and were without power for 11 days, never want to experience a storm like that again. Nothing was open for the first 24 hours, ATMs and gas stations were closed. Even when some power was restored merchants only took cash because credit card machines were down. So when they say ice, I pay attention.