2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies SP | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Nationals Figure Skating Championships SP
Jan. 14-22
Kansas City, Mo.

The junior ladies will skate at 6 p.m., Central Standard Time, on Wednesday, Jan. 18. (time zones)

Start order
1 Emmy Ma, SC of Boston
2 Maxine Marie Bautista, DuPage FSC
3 Kaitlyn Nguyen, Los Angeles FSC
4 Shannon Porter, Broadmoor SC
5 Alexia Paganini, SC of New York
6 Ashley Lin, Dallas FSC
--
7 Starr Andrews, Los Angeles FSC
8 Nina Ouellette, St. Moritz ISC
9 Madalyn Moree, Starlight Ice Dance Club
10 Elizaveta Kulik, Glacier Falls FSC
11 Brynne McIsaac, Washington FSC
12 Haley Beavers, Washington FSC

Entries (link on name is either ISU, Ice Network or Stats on Ice bio, when available)

NameSectionals score
(via Unseen Skaters Online)
International score in 2016-2017 season (if applicable)
Alexia Paganini (Skating Club of New York)
SP: Music from "On Golden Pond" by Dave Gustin
FS:"Pas de Deux" from The Nutcracker by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Notable achievements: 2017 Eastern Sectional Champion; 2016 Novice Silver Medalist
158.40 (57.36 SP; 101.04 FS)149.87 (2016 JGP St. Gervais; 52.92; 96.95)
Kaitlyn Nguyen (Los Angeles FSC)
SP
FS: Chess
Notable achievements: 2017 Pacific Coast Sectional Champion
157.13 (58.45; 98.68)
Emmy Ma (Skating Club of Boston)
SP:
FS:
157.12 (57.55; 99.57)
Starr Andrews (Los Angeles FSC)
SP: Pink Panther
FS:
Notable achievements: 2017 Novice Pewter Medalist
156.48 (55.12; 101.36)172.02 (2016 Golden Bear; 63.27; 108.75)
Ashley Lin (Dallas FSC)
SP: "Memory" from Cats
FS: Sandstorm" By La Bionda
Notable achievements: 2017 Midwestern Sectional Champion
153.34 (49.92; 103.42)154.45 (2016 JGP Ljubljana; 57.08; 97.37)
Nina Ouellette (St. Moritz ISC)
SP:"Kissing You" by Des'ree
FS: Charlie Chaplin medley
151.51 (55.11; 96.40)141.50 (2016 JGP Germany; 46.58; 94.92)
Elizaveta Kulik (Glacier Falls FSC)
SP:
FS:
144.38 (53.14; 91.24)
Shannon Porter (Broadmoor SC)
SP
FS:
138.25 (46.12; 92.13)
Brynne McIsaac (Washington FSC)
SP:
"Sabre Dance" by Vanessa Mae
FS:"España Cañi" by Pascual Marquina Narro and "Concierto de Aranjuez" by Rodrigo
137.80 (49.59; 88.21)132.39 (2016 JGP Cup of Mordovia 2016; 48.36; 84.03)
Haley Beavers (Washington FSC)
SP:
"Espana Caní" by Pascual Marquina Narro
FS:"Charms" by various artists
Notable achievements: 2016 Novice Champion
133.33 (50.72; 82.61)
Maxine Marie Bautista (DuPage FSC)
SP:
FS:
121.15 (44.00; 77.15)
Madalyn Moree (Starlight IDC)
SP:
FS:
119.56 (45.88; 73.68)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm surprised I haven't seen any reports of skater sightings. Aren't all the skaters in town by now? When are the senior skaters supposed to arrive?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Nationals Figure Skating Championships
Jan. 14-22
Kansas City, Mo. ...

Thx to Mrs. P :bow: for all the U.S. Nats threads.
And thx to Doris :bow: for all the Canadian Nats threads.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any reports of skater sightings. Aren't all the skaters in town by now? When are the senior skaters supposed to arrive?

mrrice, Senior practices do not start until Tuesday (with Dance and Pairs), so seems to me that it would be unnecessarily early for Seniors to be arriving in KC at this point.
Assuming that most U.S. Seniors train in North America, they would be coming from only two time zones away at most.

Junior practices start on Monday (with Junior Pairs).

Juvenile and Intermediate practices started today.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thx to Mrs. P :bow: for all the U.S. Nats threads.
And thx to Doris :bow: for all the Canadian Nats threads.

mrrice, Senior practices do not start until Tuesday, so seems to me that it would be unnecessarily early for Seniors to be arriving in KC at this point.
Assuming that most U.S. Seniors train in North America, they would be coming from only two time zones away at most.

Junior practices start on Monday.

Juvenile and Intermediate practices started today.

Ice Coverage, Thank you so much for coming to my rescue. Will you giving updates during the event? I'm interested in hearing how our young skaters are looking. They didn't have the greatest JGP and with the exception of Starr, I haven't really heard much about them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice Coverage, Thank you so much for coming to my rescue. Will you giving updates during the event? I'm interested in hearing how our young skaters are looking. They didn't have the greatest JGP and with the exception of Starr, I haven't really heard much about them.

Like you and so many others, will just be trying to follow along by surfing GS, social media, IN [eta: just the parts for non-subscribers ;)], and the web in general :popcorn:.
And then by watching the Senior free skates and free dance on NBC.

(Sorry, I am not the right person at all to be informative re Juniors and other younger skaters. My awareness is limited to only a few names here and there.
And I can't tell whether you think I am going to KC -- I am not going and hope I did not give the impression that I am.)

Last edited:

truthbooth

On the Ice
Any predictions here?

Kaitlyn Nguyen is the strongest technical skater. I really enjoy Alexia Paganini's style. Ashley Lin had the strongest JGP performance, and Starr Andrews put up some big numbers at her international. Emmy Ma is a nice skater, too, but I'm not sure she's solid enough on the triples yet to grab a medal here. Their sectional scores were all within five points - should be an exciting competition!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm excited to see Liza Kulik skate. I was really surprised when I looked at the official site for the event and saw her name listed. My first thought was, is she really Junior level (that old) already?! LOL

Anyway, GO LIZA!:cheer2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm excited to see Liza Kulik skate. I was really surprised when I looked at the official site for the event and saw her name listed. My first thought was, is she really Junior level (that old) already?! LOL

Anyway, GO LIZA!:cheer2:

I'm very excited to see Liza. I loved both of her parents as skaters and it would be great if she truly loves skating and wants to try for an OGM just like her Parents. Of course, step one is try and medal this year.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Liza has always showcased the ability but never put it all together in any single event like she did at Sectionals. She is a lovely skater with one of the brighter futures, IMO, compared to all other Jr skaters. Lin is quite consistent but is not a skater I like to watch as she is sloppy and does not have good technique (her coach has several students at Nationals and they all have such poor jump technique and subpar skating skills). Haley is limping across the finish line and I would not be surprised if she just withdraws. Alexia is probably the most "experienced" 1st yr Jr and should do well dispute not having Jr level skating skills. Kaitlyn is one who has been with 3 coaches in 3 years and while her program is 1 of the stronger ones, she always receives very little if any GOE, this tells the whole story. Star seems to be getting stronger, has made no changes to her program all year and is riding alot of momentum. Shannon and Brynne are older and both repeat Jr Natiobal competitors so they should shine the most though they are not the most talented of the group. Maxine is also a beautiful skater but has struggled with her jumps.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I'm just really excited for Liza because this is the first year she even made it out of Regionals!

In terms of top contenders, I'm looking forward to seeing if Starr can keep up her success and if Kaitlyn can position herself for JGPs next year since she can't go to JWs even if she does medal this year.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm very excited to see Liza. I loved both of her parents as skaters and it would be great if she truly loves skating and wants to try for an OGM just like her Parents. Of course, step one is try and medal this year.

Well, she's her own person. Better to measure her accomplishments against her peers than against her parents who competed in a different time and place and different disciplines.

Country
Russia
Pesult of Starr Andrews at Golden Bear overscored. Alexia Paganini skated better at JGP France, but got score 22 points less.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, she's her own person. Better to measure her accomplishments against her peers than against her parents who competed in a different time and place and different disciplines.

Agreed. Especially that she's competing under a very different scoring system than from what her parents skated under.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the great interview! Best of luck to Maxine. She is a lovely young lady and a very hard worker. Keep pluggin away at that triple lutz! :)