2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Nationals Figure Skating Championships
Jan. 14-22
Kansas City, Mo.

The championship men will skate their short program at 7:30 p.m., Central Standard Time, on Friday, Jan. 20.

START ORDER
1 Alexander Johnson, Braemar-City of Lakes FSC
2 Tomoki Hiwatashi, DuPage FSC
3 Andrew Torgashev, Panthers FSC
4 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC
5 Sean Rabbitt, Glacier Falls FSC
--
6 Oleksiy Melnyk, Washington FSC
7 Dennis Phan, Birmingham FSC
8 Jimmy Ma, SC of New York
9 Shotaro Omori, Los Angeles FSC
10 Daniel Kulenkamp, Sun Valley FSC
---
11 Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC
12 Sebastien Payannet, Rocky Mountain FSC
13 Scott Dyer, All Year FSC
14 Grant Hochstein, SC of New York
15 Vincent Zhou, SC of San Francisco
---
16 Emmanuel Savary, University of Delaware FSC
17 Kevin Shum, SC of Boston
18 Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating
19 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC
20 Ross Miner, SC of Boston
21 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC

ENTRIES

NameSectionals scoreSeason's best international Score (if applicable)
Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating
SP Le Corsaire by Adolphe Adam; choreo by Marina Zoueva
FS: Polovtsian Dances (from Prince Igor) by Alexander Borodin; choreo by Nadia Kanaeva
Grand Prix Final
Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC
SP "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith from James Bond - Spectre soundtrack; choreo by Rohene Ward
FS LP The Piano soundtrack by Michael Nyman ("Big My Secret" and "The Scent of Love"); choreo by Rohene Ward
Skate America
Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC
SP: "La Virgen de la Macarena" by Arturo Sandoval
FS: The Lion King soundtrack
Cup of China
Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSCSP Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons; choreo by Ryan Jahnke
FS Sometimes I Dream by Mario Frangoulis; choreo by Brittney Bottoms
Skate America
Vincent Zhou, SC of San Francisco
SP "Writing's on the Wall," combining the Sam Smith song with orchestral music from the James Bond movie Spectre, for which the song was written
FS Jazz music from the 1959 TV show Johnny Staccato, composed by Elmer Bernstein; choreo by David Wilson
JGP Yokohama
Grant Hochstein, SC of New York
SP Due Tramonti" SP (from last season)
FS Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo; choreo by Peter Oppegard

Nebelhorn Trophy
Ross Miner, SC of BostonSP New York State of Mind by Billy Joel; choreo by Jamie Isley, Lori Nichol
FS medley of Queen songs - "Somebody to Love," "Love of My Life" & "Crazy Little Thing Called Love.;" choreo by Jamie Isley & Lori Nichol

U.S. International Figure Skating Classic
Andrew Torgashev, Panthers FSC
SP "Le Temps des Cathedrales" by Bruno Pelletier from Notre Dame de Paris, choreo by Scott Brown, Ilona Melnichenko
FS "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen; choreo by Scott Brown, Ilona Melnichenko
JGP Cup of Moldovia
Tomoki Hiwatashi, DuPage FSCSP “Big & Bad” by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy; choreo by Maina Zoueva
FS La Strada film soundtrack by Nino Rota; choreo by Maina Zoueva
JGP St. Gervais
Sean Rabbit, Glacier Falls FSCSP East of Eden by Lee Holdridge; choreography by Sean Rabbitt and Cindy Stuart
FS Mambo Medley by Pérez Prado; choreo by Sean Rabbitt and Cindy Stuart
213.50 (P1-75.15/138.35)209.66
U.S. International figure Skating Classic
Shotaro Omori, Los Angeles FSC212.34 (P2-72.42/139.92)
Kevin Shum, SC of Boston
SP "Eleanor Rigby" by Joshua Bell and Frankie Moreno; choreo by Karen Kwan-Oppegard, Jamie Isley
FS "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed; choreo by Karen Kwan-Oppegard, Jamie Isley

211.83 (E1-68.29/143.54)
JGP Czech Skate
Scott Dyer, All Year FSC204.57 (P3-68.42/136.15)
Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SCSP
FS Romeo & Juliet (Baz Luhrmann) 1996 film soundtrack (includes voiceovers by Leonardo DiCaprio); choreo by Rohene Ward

202.99 (M1-64.53/138.46)
Alexander Johnson, Braemar-City of Lakes FSC
SP Intro by B-Tribe and Bamboleo by Gipsy Kings; choreo by Tom DicksonLP La Strada by Niño Rota; choreo by Tom Dickson
201.32 (M2-75.38/125.94)208.64
Ondrej Nepela Memorial
Emmanuel Savary, University of Delaware FSCSP "Viejos Aires" by Ensamble Nuevo Tango; choreo by Evgeny Platov
FS House of Flying Daggers, Fearless and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtracks; choreo by Evgeny Platov
200.82 (E2-63.00/137.82)160.33
JGP Yokohama
Jimmy Ma, SC of New YorkSP "The Real Slim Shady" by Eminem
FS Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmaninoff
196.74 (E3-68.29/128.45)
Oleksiy Melnyk, Washington FSCSP "Ancient Lands" by Ronan Hardiman; choreo by Tommy Steenberg
FS "Thunderball" by Tom Jones; choreo by Tommy Steenberg
192.67 (E4-62.59/130.08)165.81
JGP St. Gervais
Daniel Kulenkamp, Sun Valley FSC178.64(P4- 65.97/112.67)
Dennis Phan, Birmingham FSC163.35 (M3-54.70/108.65)
Sebastien Payannet, Rocky Mountain FSC162.34 (M4-54.69/107.65)

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Good Luck to Emmanuel! That's a name that stood out to me during the JGP :) And of course Max :cool:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Holy Mother of Plushenchrist I am not ready for this.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is Max going to try 4T as 2nd quad in SP too or only in FS ?

He definitely said it was going to be in the FS. He hasn't said anything specific about the SP, but Tom Z was vague when asked and in the Ice Talk interview Max mentioned "the first quad" at the start of his SP (which implies there's more than one) so I think we could see it.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
He definitely said it was going to be in the FS. He hasn't said anything specific about the SP, but Tom Z was vague when asked and in the Ice Talk interview Max mentioned "the first quad" at the start of his SP (which implies there's more than one) so I think we could see it.

well , if he could nail 2 quad sp he could set himself with a chance of a title

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
well , if he could nail 2 quad sp he could set himself with a chance of a title

True but remember there is Nathan and I think the judges have him as no.1 if he skates reasonably well. Look at his fast rise, his GP results, rising pcs...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
True but remember there is Nathan and I think the judges have him as no.1 if he skates reasonably well. Look at his fast rise, his GP results, rising pcs...

US judges don't like quads so it's not so obvious at US nationals;)

I can even see Jason winning this with 1 quad ;)

Nathan13

Medalist
US judges don't like quads so it's not so obvious at US nationals;)

I can even see Jason winning this with 1 quad ;)

They're going to have to start liking them I think because 2/3 of the favorites are big time quad jumpers. I think Nathan is going to be the one to drag the US judges into the current skating era...They surely can't ignore a GPF silver medal (although they tried to brush a JGPF gold under the rug last year putting Nathan 4th in the SP :noshake:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Chen will be fine - the USFS have been desperate for him to happen, and now he is. He'll get a big PCS boost and probably has a two-error margin.

Jason will, deservedly, get his usual mid-range PCS bump.

And Max will, undeservedly and as always, get minimal PCS bump, and have no margin for any errors whatsoever, no matter how small.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They're going to have to start liking them I think because 2/3 of the favorites are big time quad jumpers. I think Nathan is going to be the one to drag the US judges into the current skating era...They surely can't ignore a GPF silver medal (although they tried to brush a JGPF gold under the rug last year putting Nathan 4th in the SP :noshake:)

Nathan had no *programs* last year, just a series of jumps, and his placements were well deserved.

This year he at least has an SP (and a really decent one at that), and actually, it doesn't really matter. At long as he stands up, he's going to Worlds.

The fight is for second. And I also wanna know, when is the draw?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't be the only person who thinks that a clean Max will beat Nathan, Can I? I definitely see Nathan on the team but I still think Max is the Man.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't be the only person who thinks that a clean Max will beat Nathan, Can I? I definitely see Nathan on the team but I still think Max is the Man.

You know how much I love Max, but this will never happen, unless Nathan splatters himself all over the ice. He just won't get the relative PCS bumps to do it.

Nathan13

Medalist
Nathan had no *programs* last year, just a series of jumps, and his placements were well deserved.

This year he at least has an SP (and a really decent one at that), and actually, it doesn't really matter. At long as he stands up, he's going to Worlds.

The fight is for second. And I also wanna know, when is the draw?

I think his FS this year is actually quite excellent and well composed, and I think his musicality is really quite good. He's improved leaps and bounds from last year, but I think he was still underscored.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You know how much I love Max, but this will never happen, unless Nathan splatters himself all over the ice. He just won't get the relative PCS bumps to do it.

Karne, I DO know how much you love Max and I just don't understand how he seems to have fallen out of favor with "Some" of the judges. It's so clear to me how far he's come since he won his Championship in 2013. He has done everything right and even took the risk to take on a new SP just for Nationals. Even without Adam, the US still has a deep group of Men. It's how they perform under pressure that I care about. Nathan was under a Tremendous amount of pressure at the GPF and unless he falls more than once, I'm sure he'll win. It's the Silver Medalist who needs to be able to deal with it this time. Nathan has proven he can beat the best in the world when he defeated Patrick and Javi. The new #2 needs to bring it at Worlds. I don't know who it will be but, there's almost as much pressure on him as he needs to get that 3rd spot back for the US.

Last edited: