2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

FlattFan

Match Penalty
People just can't handle the truth. The truth is this, no quad, no where near the podium. If you want sunshine and cotton candy, go to disney world. This is a sport, afterall. I see a pattern in Jason Brown fans. LOL

TMC

Record Breaker
People just can't handle the truth. The truth is this, no quad, no where near the podium. If you want sunshine and cotton candy, go to disney world. This is a sport, afterall. I see a pattern in Jason Brown fans. LOL

Having at least basic manners and being generally respectful of others? Yeah, me too :rolleye:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

The truth is that Jason is #8 on the World SB list and has 2 silvers and a gold in international competition this season. The truth is that Jason is competing at Nats with watered down tech content only due to his injury, and that while his SB score of 268 may not make him a medal contender at Worlds, he is the best pure competitor we have except Nathan, and the most likely to place high enough for us to get back 3 spots. The truth is, Vincent hasn't rotated a quad in international competition in the past year. The truth is, Jason's SB score is higher than both Adam's and Max's. The truth is, he beat Adam twice and Max once in head to head competition this season. The truth is, his SB score is 25 points higher than Max's and 40-50 points higher than Vincent's, Grant's, Tim's, and Ross's, and his international results are better. The truth is that simply attempting multiple quads doesn't make you a podium threat. See, e.g., Kovtun. But hey, if you want to live in Disney World yourself, be my guest.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I was talking about Universal. Carruthers was on tonight, but I was saying that we had Ryan Bradley on there for the GPF mens event.

Got ya. I don't have Universal anymore, but did have it for several years. Carruthers used to have this earnest, awkward way about him that if I was in a REALLLLY good mood, I could find endearing. But mostly it was kind of annoying. But then over the course of a few years, things got...well...odd. Like you mentioned, he almost sounded drunk or that there was something wrong somehow. During my YouTube travels, I've watched some videos from, say, the early 90s when he was commenting. It's like a totally different person. He sounds normal. I often wondered while I was still watching Universal, if he really was OK--and I don't mean that in an unkind way. He would go off on these strange tangents and often never really answer the prompt from the other commentator. I was actually getting kind of worried about him. And, well, annoyed. I had been wondering if he was still commentating anywhere.

noskates

Record Breaker
Weathergal - totally agree with you. When I turned on Universal this week and heard his voice I was so disappointed. Ryan speaks in a monotone sometimes but at least his knowledge is current with the sport. Peter rarely finishes a complete sentence. He gets asked a question and then there's a long pause as if he's looking the answer up on Google or something. Surely there must be people that are better at commentating than him. Disappointed.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The truth is that Jason is #8 on the World SB list and has 2 silvers and a gold in international competition this season. The truth is that Jason is competing at Nats with watered down tech content only due to his injury, and that while his SB score of 268 may not make him a medal contender at Worlds, he is the best pure competitor we have except Nathan, and the most likely to place high enough for us to get back 3 spots. The truth is, Vincent hasn't rotated a quad in international competition in the past year. The truth is, Jason's SB score is higher than both Adam's and Max's. The truth is, he beat Adam twice and Max once in head to head competition this season. The truth is, his SB score is 25 points higher than Max's and 40-50 points higher than Vincent's, Grant's, Tim's, and Ross's, and his international results are better. The truth is that simply attempting multiple quads doesn't make you a podium threat. See, e.g., Kovtun. But hey, if you want to live in Disney World yourself, be my guest.

:clap:
Also, I really wished people would stop acting as if not being a medal contender at worlds would make you worthless. Of course it's a competition and winning is a big part of it, but there is more that makes you a valuable part of this sport, and Jason has a lot of that.

It's such a shame his injury is keeping him from showing his best here at nationals :sad21: For now, I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed and lightning a dozen candles for him to do as well as possible in the LP and get some 2nd season assignment, even if it's not worlds (although I will miss him horribly at worlds). And then I hope he heals well and can come back giving this sport all that he can - which is a lot, even if it's not a dozen quads or gold medals.

zschultz1986

Final Flight

Show me where I or other Jason Brown fans gave you the impression that he was a podium threat. I even gave you a list, WITH NUMBERS AND EVERYTHING, on the top scores of the Senior Men this year. If you had to ask me and if you asked other Jason fans to be honest with their assessment, Jason would probably max out at 5th place at Worlds this year, if everything fell his way, which would be 2 great skates and flawed skates from Chan, D10, and Boyang. However, he would have to be 100% and doing lots of clean runthroughs prior to Worlds, and he would have to make Worlds, which is a tough thing, given there are only two spots available this year. Realistically, he would probably be 6th-10th, depending on how others skated.

You're right that quads are necessary to be on the podium. However, generalizing and then laughing at a whole group of people based on statements on one or a few people is intellectually dishonest, and plain stupid.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Read the last 10 posts to see the pattern.
No quad = no competitive. No need to boost someone who isn't competitive at all. Can't handle the truth? Go to Disney world.

At least with Ashley, she's already maxing out the lady contents. Jason brown is about 7 quads behind the men content. Stay home.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Read the last 10 posts to see the pattern.
No quad = no competitive. No need to boost someone who isn't competitive at all. Can't handle the truth? Go to Disney world.

At least with Ashley, she's already maxing out the lady contents. Jason brown is about 7 quads behind the men content. Stay home.

I have read the last ten posts, and the pattern is that those posters have set out facts that you have neither refuted nor addressed. Instead, I see in this post I am quoting, the rhetorical devices of someone whose arguments have been defeated and has nothing further to say.

If you would like to stay home, please do so. I hope you find pleasure watching the skaters you enjoy. I know I do.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
edited: Not worth it. See you all in the free skate thread.

Last edited: