2017 Canadian Nats - Junior Pairs FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats - Junior Pairs FS

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Well, Ted said that MacKenzie is 4 years older than Olivia, so it might be possible this season for them to go to Europe if Skate Ontario sends a group again this year.

I think they can go. I think Mackenzie was 15 last year. I meant more that I am not sure Skate Canada sends novice ice dance or pairs teams out to international events. Even last season Natalie and Bruce went as singles skaters, not as ice dancers.

TGee

Record Breaker
There was Ted comentating? :luv17: I'll have to watch this! Well, I would anyway, but that's another reason to do so :)

Ted Barton and Debbi Wilkes [former pairs girl herself] are doing the commentary for the Novice and Juniors events. Sometimes, it's just one of them, and other times it's both. Really great coverage.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ted Barton and Debbi Wilkes [former pairs girl herself] are doing the commentary for the Novice and Juniors events. Sometimes, it's just one of them, and other times it's both. Really great coverage.

Canada is lucky to have Ted. I love his commentary of Juniors events :) And good to know the lady commentator is former Pairs lady, she understand the hardships of Pairs ladies well I guess.

nadster

Final Flight
Just went to the ISU and checked out the international advanced novice for pairs. The rules are quite restrictive.

The relevant ISU communication can be found here.

http://static.isu.org/media/1001/2013-novice-sandp_id_sys_communication-2016_revised.pdf

IMO , it would a bad idea to send Boys-Eddy team to an international novice event as the requirements would not give them a chance ( no triple anything at all allowed in either program ) to work on their skills Also no group 5 lifts are allowed.

The advance novice requirements are as follows.

3.2 Pair Skating Advanced Novice

The Short Program for Pairs shall consist of the following elements:
a) One lift of Groups 1 to 4, one arm holds not allowed
b) One Twist lift (single or double)
c) One solo jump (single or double)
d) One pair spin with at least one change of position of each partner (minimum of six (6)
revolutions)
e) One death spiral
f) One step sequence fully utilizing the ice surface

A well balanced Free Skating program must contain a maximum of:

a) Two different lifts of Groups 1 to 4, one arm holds not allowed, (in group 1 and 2 full
extension of the lifting arm of the partner is not required).
b) One Twist lift (single or double)
c) One Throw jump (single or double)
d) One solo jump (single or double)
e) One solo spin or solo spin combination without change of foot (minimum of six (6)
revolutions)
f) One death spiral
g) One step sequence fully utilizing the ice surface

These requirements are so watered down it does not make any sense.

TGee

Record Breaker
Just went to the ISU and checked out the international advanced novice for pairs. The rules are quite restrictive.

The relevant ISU communication can be found here.

http://static.isu.org/media/1001/2013-novice-sandp_id_sys_communication-2016_revised.pdf

IMO , it would a bad idea to send Boys-Eddy team to an international novice event as the requirements would not give them a chance ( no triple anything at all allowed in either program ) to work on their skills Also no group 5 lifts are allow

These requirements are so watered down it does not make any sense.

Ugh....agree totally....

Really wonder about the advanced novice rules for a number of disciplines. They really are holding skaters back, especially in those countries where there isn't sufficient domestic competition to make different national rules viable...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
watching the pairs....

Boys-Eddy

WOW at that twist OMG ... this is crazy... their lifts are also super cool. I liked the SBS spins too. Come on... get on those SBS. The boy is stocky and strong and she's so delicate but he is mostly done growing and not very tall... At that size, they are fine but what if she grows???

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Matte - Ferland..

I like how they are quite polished... just not sure how their twist and sbs jumps can hold up in tougher fields... a fighter for the throws... good job.

But yeah, the barcarolle from tales of Hoffmann....well... it's a love song... didn't feel mucho loveeee

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Walsh-Michaud... am I crazy ? they remind me of sale-pelletier.. very solid pair... great at sbs jumps/spin... great first throw.... i think i read they downgraded to the 2twist today... wise move... however, they obviously need a triple twist if they go to WC?

How many teams can Canada send??? I am guessing that none of the teams in Seniors are still eligible for JWC right? So that would be W/M and???

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Walsh-Michaud... am I crazy ? they remind me of sale-pelletier.. very solid pair... great at sbs jumps/spin... great first throw.... i think i read they downgraded to the 2twist today... wise move... however, they obviously need a triple twist if they go to WC?

How many teams can Canada send??? I am guessing that none of the teams in Seniors are still eligible for JWC right? So that would be W/M and???

Two teams.

They tried out the triple twist for the first time at Challenge in December. They did it in the SP, but not the FS.

W/M and Matte/Ferland should get the spots for JWC. Brasseur/Ostiguy would've been the favs last season but their season hasn't gone so well this year. They're trying the throw 3Lz in the SP and keep falling on it.