Question about skating clubs | Golden Skate

Question about skating clubs

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What does it mean to represent a figure skating club? I've noticed a lot of pairs, perhaps more than half, in which each member represents a different skating club. Gracie represents Wagon Wheel FSC, and is even featured on their website, but has trained in California for several years with Frank. Why are skaters affiliated with clubs that they don't train at?

twirlingblades

Medalist
What does it mean to represent a figure skating club? I've noticed a lot of pairs, perhaps more than half, in which each member represents a different skating club. Gracie represents Wagon Wheel FSC, and is even featured on their website, but has trained in California for several years with Frank. Why are skaters affiliated with clubs that they don't train at?

That is the skating club that they are registered with. The pay yearly dues there. Many high level skaters, like Gracie, choose to stay with the club they grew up skating with. The skating club they represent doesn't necessarily represent where they live. The skating club you skate for also determines what regionals/sectionals competition you skate at.

EDIT: also, that would determine if you have to pay "out of club" fees when you test. Figure skating clubs are in charge of putting on test sessions, and skaters not apart of that club have to pay out of club fees in order to skate that test. Many clubs give their own skaters priority during tests as well.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
That is the skating club that they are registered with. The pay yearly dues there. Many high level skaters, like Gracie, choose to stay with the club they grew up skating with. The skating club they represent doesn't necessarily represent where they live. The skating club you skate for also determines what regionals/sectionals competition you skate at.

Sometimes it's weird with dance/pairs teams who seem to be spontaneously registered for 2 separate home clubs for the point of being able to pick and choose which Sectionals competition they go to. Some work because they're definitely skaters from two separate states/regions/sections, but for example, a few of the WISA teams have one skater registered at Washington FSC and another at a different club. I've always wondered why Lorraine McNamara is registered at Peninsula SC in the San Francisco area when she's always been at WISA/lived in the DC area.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Yeah, I'm not too sure why! But I grew up (as a singles skater) skating for the Washington FSC, and I have friends that have switched to clubs across the country to have a better chance at making sectional/nationals. (For example, I think two or three years ago, one of the west coast regions only had 5 or 6 senior ladies-- definitely a higher chance of making sectionals than at Washington/SA regionals). There is nothing that says you can't change to a different club every year. Although most people stick with one or two clubs, in my experience (I stuck with Washington until I went to college, and had to switch to their skating club in order to skate for them).

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm not too sure why! But I grew up (as a singles skater) skating for the Washington FSC, and I have friends that have switched to clubs across the country to have a better chance at making sectional/nationals. (For example, I think two or three years ago, one of the west coast regions only had 5 or 6 senior ladies-- definitely a higher chance of making sectionals than at Washington/SA regionals). There is nothing that says you can't change to a different club every year. Although most people stick with one or two clubs, in my experience (I stuck with Washington until I went to college, and had to switch to their skating club in order to skate for them).

I somewhat understand switching home clubs to be able to compete in a less competitive Region/Section. Some levels in some regions/sections are so much more competitive than others.

Apparently only Juvenile/Intermediate singes skaters are limited by residency/primary training center for Regionals. All other levels can designate their home club with no residency rules. The only limit for the upper levels is not being able to change the "home club" until the next competitive season. Didn't realize that. Makes much more sense now. (Referring to rules 2410 and 2411 in the 2016-2017 rulebook)

A lot of pairs where partners are from different geographical locations may be registered with both skaters' clubs but each selects one as a "home club" to give them options to select between two Sections.