2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS

bytheriver

On the Ice
Haley Beavers - Fall on her 3F. UR and stepout on her 3Lz. Fall on her 2A, missing her 2A-2T combo. Very UR on her 3Lz combo, only could tack on a single toe. Nice arm variation. Fought for her 3T-2T. Nasty fall on her 2A. Couldn't do her planned combination spin because she lost time trying to make up for lost combos.

She has a lovely performance quality. Shame about the jumps. She looks so disappointed. :( She should keep her head up - the transition from Novice to Junior is tough and she's been fighting an injury this season.

64.43 FS - 108.72 total - into 5th

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Great combos from Starr. Nice to see her get the 3Z today. It's obvious she's still working on the 3F and 3Z. Here's hoping she'll keep improving them over the course of the season!

bytheriver

On the Ice
Starr Andrews - She reminds me quite a bit of a young Andrea Gardiner. Takes her time with her 3-3-2 combo and lands it! Arms up the triple toe in the 2A-3T combo. Clean 2A. Fights for the landing of the 3Lz. Single flip in place of her planned combo (3Lo-2T) Tacks on an arms up 2T to her 3Lo. Problems with her landing on her 2Lo, very UR.

Pretty great other than the popped combo. I think that sucked her mojo and led to the issues with the last 2Lo. Kudos for having the gumption to add a 2T to one of her jumps to make up for the missed combo. Her performance quality will improve with age - she got a little blank-faced when the problems arose, but who doesn't?

97.31 FS - 155.14 total - into 1st

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems like the juniors are having some issues today. Hopefully better luck to the competitors still to come!!

bytheriver

On the Ice
Alexia Paganini - Clean 2A and 3T-3T. This music suits her. Got a little off-axis in the 3Lz but saved the landing, looked clean. Doubled the planned 3Lo. God, I hate A-frame spins. Doubled her planned 3Lo in the 3Lo-2T combo. Went for the 3-1-3 combo (two salchows). Clean 2A.

Long wait for her score - judges probably trying to figure out what to do with all the doubles.

94.70 FS - 147.60 total - into 2nd

frida80

Record Breaker
Starr Andrews - She reminds me quite a bit of a young Andrea Gardiner. Takes her time with her 3-3-2 combo and lands it! Arms up the triple toe in the 2A-3T combo. Clean 2A. Fights for the landing of the 3Lz. Single flip in place of her planned combo (3Lo-2T) Tacks on an arms up 2T to her 3Lo. Problems with her landing on her 2Lo, very UR.

Pretty great other than the popped combo. I think that sucked her mojo and led to the issues with the last 2Lo. Kudos for having the gumption to add a 2T to one of her jumps to make up for the missed combo. Her performance quality will improve with age - she got a little blank-faced when the problems arose, but who doesn't?

97.31 FS - 155.14 total - into 1st

I'm not concerned about Starr's flip or Lutz. She normally will master whatever trouble jumps she has over the break.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How did the announcer get Kaitlyn Nguyen into Kaitlyn Wang? LOL

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How did the announcer get Kaitlyn Nguyen into Kaitlyn Wang? LOL

I thought about you when they announced her name! Like... is that correct?? Mrs. P would know! :laugh:

Edit: Oh dear, my stream has gone haywire. Anyone else having issues suddenly?

bytheriver

On the Ice
Kaitlyn Nguyen - Very ambitious with that first combo (3Lz-1Lo-3S). Lands it. Instead of a 3F lands a 3Lo-2T with arms up on the double toe. Not completely clean 2A-3T, but holds it together. She is not letting these landings slip through her fingers. Nice 3F. UR 3Lz. Nice 3Lo (a bit of snow on the landing) and 2A.

She really held it together! Probably the toughest overall TES in the competition and she did it well. It's always encouraging to see young skaters that can calculate risk during the program and adjust if necessary (moving her combo to an easier jump).

112.36 FS - 170.16 total - into 1st