2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS

frida80

Record Breaker
She could still do her 3T-3T or 3S-3T couldn't she? Probably from a strategy point better to just do a combo she's mastered so she doesn't have to try to juggle a new combo and a newish jump.

Both those combos I think would score well.

In the short no. For some reason they snub those that don't attempt the big ones. It seems Gabby is the exception. But hers are HUGE.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In the short no. For some reason they snub those that don't attempt the big ones. It seems Gabby is the exception. But hers are HUGE.

Perhaps they would, but we're talking long-game here...would it really help her to try to do a new combo while trying to work on the edge.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Congrats to the medalists. I think Kaitlyn ad Starr will push each others in the next few years. Can't wait to see their progresses next season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
? do you know what happened?

Are you asking what the results of the FS were?

If so, then please see the results link in the OP.
As you know (or should know by now), Mrs. P has gone to a lot of trouble to put the results link (and many other helpful links) in the OP of every single Nats thread.

That was what I originally wrote before deleting my post above.

But I caught myself and deleted my post, b/c I convinced myself that someone as familiar with GS as you are surely already would know that the results link is in every OP.

So ... I have to assume that you are asking about the status of the IN archived video.
And I do not know anything about its status.

frida80

Record Breaker
Perhaps they would, but we're talking long-game here...would it really help her to try to do a new combo while trying to work on the edge.

I think she already has them. She has a 3Lz+3t already. Because the 3Lo+2T is at the end of the program, I'm sure she is already working on it. Last season she had a 3S+2t+2L and a 3T+2T at the very end of her program, while prepping both her 3S+3T and 3T+3T during the season. This season both are very consistent. Which is why I'm sure she is working on both her 3Lo and 3Lz combos right now.

I think what she'll be working on for next season are those combos, more rippon jumps, better spins, better footwork, her flying sit spin, and her lutz edge. And she's one of them most determined skaters I've seen. So I'm not worried about her.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Are you asking what the results of the FS were?

If so, then please see the results link in the OP.
As you know (or should know by now), Mrs. P has gone to a lot of trouble to put the results link (and many other helpful links) in the OP of every single Nats thread.

That was what I originally wrote before deleting my post above.

But I caught myself and deleted my post, b/c I convinced myself that someone as familiar with GS as you are surely already would know that the results link is in every OP.

So ... I have to assume that you are asking about the status of the IN archived video.
And I do not know anything about its status.

Yes, I meant to ask about the video being up on IN, but frida80 already informed me it takes a while to upload it. Thanks, don't worry, I didn't see what you originally posted.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She could still do her 3T-3T or 3S-3T couldn't she? Probably from a strategy point better to just do a combo she's mastered so she doesn't have to try to juggle a new combo and a newish jump.

Both those combos I think would score well.

Correct, Emily Chan did quite well (Until this year) With no Lutz at all. Starr may be disappointed but, I'm sure she understands that it was mistakes that cost her the Gold. She still has all the qualities she needs to win and she still has at least another year at this level. The sting will wear off and she'll be fine.

Last edited:

matcha

Medalist
Hate to be that person, but what's the likelyhood that we'll get videos for these skates. I wanna see the little'uns.

frida80

Record Breaker
Hate to be that person, but what's the likelyhood that we'll get videos for these skates. I wanna see the little'uns.

Kaitlyn is probably going to post when she gets back. Emma will probably post her free skate. Slim to none on the rest. Teenagers hate to post videos of them making mistakes. However, sometimes someone post the top three online so fans can see. Try in a few days.

frida80

Record Breaker
Correct, Emily Chan did quite well (Until this year) With no Lutz at all. Starr may be disappointed but, I'm sure she understands that it was mistakes that cost her the Gold. She still has all the qualities she needs to win and she still has at least another year at this level. The sting will wear off and she'll be fine.

No. Most girls her age go directly to senior level, especially if they medal. She will compete international as a junior. But she's going to compete as a senior domestically next year. Sadly, that's the best way to get a spot at JW. This year, the top two qualifying age eligible seniors will go to JW, just like last year, and the year before.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Tessa Hong will likely get one of those spots if she maintains her top spot, but I think Starr still has a shot. I don't see them sending Megan Wessenberg since she's way down in the standings.

ETA: There's also Paige Rydberg...

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
No. Most girls her age go directly to senior level, especially if they medal. She will compete international as a junior. But she's going to compete as a senior domestically next year. Sadly, that's the best way to get a spot at JW. This year, the top two qualifying age eligible seniors will go to JW, just like last year, and the year before.

Does that mean that Tessa Hong will go? Isn't she still technically an age eligible Junior?

princessalica

Final Flight
I've wondered... do they just look at total score potential and send who could have the biggest score that is age eligible? Gracie went as the Junior champion, but most the go are competing domestically as seniors. If Karen drops in rankings much then maybe they will send Karen and Tessa to Junior Worlds

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Does that mean that Tessa Hong will go? Isn't she still technically an age eligible Junior?

It's possible. But not for sure. No one will know until after the Senior FS. Tessa still has to complete that with a relatively good amount of success.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've wondered... do they just look at total score potential and send who could have the biggest score that is age eligible? Gracie went as the Junior champion, but most the go are competing domestically as seniors. If Karen drops in rankings much then maybe they will send Karen and Tessa to Junior Worlds

I don't think Karen has a TES-eligible score in juniors (required to go to junior Worlds) --she hasn't competed in juniors since the 2014-2015 season. Obviously if they really wanted Karen to go they could send her to Bavarian Open and get those TES....

And actually this is the year for Karen to go since she'd be able to keep her current layout since hte Loop is the required jump...but I feel like she's moved on.

princessalica

Final Flight
Nevermind. I doubt that Karen goes to Junior worlds since she has been competing internationally as a senior.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

The reason most that go are domestically Seniors is because the US skaters don't have the ability to compete both Junior and Senior. ISU-Junior-eligible skaters have to pick one or the other. USFS probably does factor in scoring potential. Tessa will probably get JWs if she can maintain a decent placement (since she can't go to 4CCs or Worlds), but I'm not sure if they'd send Karen.

frida80

Record Breaker

When Gracie won Jr nationala she was better than all the senior skaters technically. I think it will be Tessa and maybe Amber if they send Karen to worlds. Or they can try to send Karen to both. Not advisable but possible.