Deanna Stellato & Nathan Bartholomay | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Deanna Stellato & Nathan Bartholomay

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I just want to say that I don't care that it was a throw quad and I don't care that it was two footed.... learning any form of any quad in your 30s is amazing and fabulous... and perhaps a lesson to others about the limits and capabilities of the human body.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone hasn't seen it, here is TSL interview with Deanna and Nate one year ago tomorrow, just after they'd announced their partnership. It's really fun and interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10Jw_ksGew

I just re-watched their SP from nationals again. Deanna's posture, back and presentation just knock me out. Also, I've been Nate's fan with Felicia in 2013=14 and also with Gretchen Donlan .... but I've never seen him look this confident and unworried, almost nonchalant. As though he doesn't have to worry about his partner. Their jumps are so strong: he worked esp. on his 3lutz while he was waiting to find a partner, and it shows.

Not to mention, they have this great Italian look together. Don't get me wrong ... I'm super excited about the throw quad salchow too. And .... what? they got level 4 on their 3 twist? :hap57:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Theoretical Girl's post in the "Summer Comps" forum, Deanna and Nate are scheduled to compete at the Philly International (Liberty) Summer Comp!:clap:

Now I need to decide if it's worth the 1.5 hour drive:drama:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
El henry, I think if you do go, you'll consider the drive 90 minutes very well spent. :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
El henry, I think if you do go, you'll consider the drive 90 minutes very well spent. :)

I know, I know, particularly with a Rohene SP. :dance: And if I do go, I would probably stay at my sister's, who is a mere 45 minutes from the rink and five minutes from where Nate's mother lives. I could give him a ride:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have totally forgotten my PA geography. I forgot how far you are from Philly and it's not even really in Philly --but Chester County, which is even further.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have totally forgotten my PA geography. I forgot how far you are from Philly and it's not even really in Philly --but Chester County, which is even further.

A mere 80 miles from my house to the rink, but with Turnpike traffic:palmf: At least we now have the Blue Route (was that around when you lived in the area?), so it's a straight shot.

Now if my brother hadn't gone and moved, *he* lived about 8 miles from the rink (as did my folks, he was in our childhood home). He did not consult my skating habits :dev2: Now my closest "let me crash" spot is sis in Newtown .... childhood home of Nate Bartholmay:clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna and Nate's SP at Skate Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDhdNXOxccc

Deanna had a few "touchdowns" on her jumps and throws, but it's very early days, I am loving the program itself, particularly the last lift and ending pose.

I do need to say, however, I love them, and Rohene who did the choreo, but this version of Eleanor Rigby hurts my ears.:sad21:

ETA: According to Jackie Wong on Twitter, they scored 58.2 and are in second.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^ Dang. I could not agree with you more about the music. I just kept thinking how much better it would be with the Beatles singing.

But I'm just blown away by the improvement in their skating, from Nationals to now. They look like a pair; they look like they actually took the small and large refinements of pairs skating seriously enough to really work on them. And their footwork just knocked me out; I realized halfway through that I was just "into" the skating, literally living inside it rather than observing, evaluating, etc. That is huge, IMHO! Rohene's choreography:love:

I'm not worried about mistakes on the jumps; they'll get those down. In my view, they've worked on the important stuff first. As it should be.

Have they skated their LP yet?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Deanna and Nate's SP at Skate Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDhdNXOxccc

Deanna had a few "touchdowns" on her jumps and throws, but it's very early days, I am loving the program itself, particularly the last lift and ending pose.

I do need to say, however, I love them, and Rohene who did the choreo, but this version of Eleanor Rigby hurts my ears.:sad21:

ETA: According to Jackie Wong on Twitter, they scored 58.2 and are in second.

I loved the st sq, the pairs spin and the last lift! The music really hurts your ears ? :( As long as I accept it for what it is and don't compare it to the Beatles, I think it's pretty.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep checking and no fancam up yet (although the poster on Twitter says soon). Here is a snippet of Deanna and Nate's FS from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/magicaleggrolls/status/888858047820574721

I am assuming that the costumes are not ready yet, since I don't see Deanna making a fashion statement with black tops and leggings. Freak fall on the twist hurt them, (hey, girlfriend has only been doing pairs for a year. A year!!!), but still looked good. Also fell on the throw 4S, but they're putting it out there! Jackie says score was 170.28.

I loved the st sq, the pairs spin and the last lift! The music really hurts your ears ? :( As long as I accept it for what it is and don't compare it to the Beatles, I think it's pretty.

Probably part of my personal prejudice; I'm just not a huge fan of strings. Violins. Fiddles. In any music. Classical, celtic, rock. And obviously, being a Joshua Bell version, it is way heavier on the violin:laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because it deserves its own post:

Deanna and Nate's LP at Skate Detroit is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzSyNFyEnc

A few obvious mistakes, but I'm very hopeful for this in the future. Christopher Dean. ETA: make that Mark Pillay, I was confusing my two favorite pairs:eek::) choreographed this one, and I like his taste in pop music better:laugh: And seriously, Deanna and Nate also look like they enjoy skating together, enjoy skating period, and that means so much.:luv17:

Good start!:clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a new interview with Deanna and Nate: Reality Surpassing Story for Stellato and Bartholomay. Talks about developing their new tech elements, the choreography process, and more on Deanna's transition as a pairs skater. :)

Thank you, and I love our girl Deanna's honesty and fierceness:

On quad throws: the secret is butt pads, lots and lots of butt pads.:biggrin:

music with lyrics: it's so nice to hear music with words and not the rigamarole I heard in 1999:biggrin:

and "Baby's First Pair Camp":laugh:

How can you not love them?:luv17:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am going to put a little more detail here than I did in the general "Philadelphia Summer Comp" thread. I do not have scores, protocols, or video, (I'll look them up later), but general impressions.

First, some fangirling: this is a comp where you practically bump into skaters in the hallway. Literally. I saw Deanna after the comp with her wheelie, obviously leaving, and I told her how beautiful she and Nate were together, that she may not have had the skate she wanted, but when these programs gelled, they would be terrific, and how we looked forward to them skating in the future.

I am only telling you what I said (because who cares?) because Deanna just kept saying, thank you, thank you, thank you for being so positive, I appreciate the positivity and support, and she said it in a heartfelt manner, I think she really meant it. Our girl:luv17:

Now for programs: in person, the costumes are this lovely gray with just enough bling. I really liked the way the beading went down the center of Nate's costume both front and back. They command the ice. The lines, the skating, the spirals, the "together" spins, are all elegance. Deanna was having some trouble with the jumps, but they also landed some together, and they seemed to me to be very well paired.

And the lifts! I am such an innocent, until I saw it up close and personal, I had no idea how much skill and strength it takes to complete one of those lifts smoothly and seamlessly, like you are picking up a cup of coffee. And they had one lift (I think in the LP) where Nate skated over half the ice, partially one-handed, and Deanna held the positions perfectly. That got big applause.

OK, that's what I remember. Onward and upward: next stop for Deanna and Nate, the US Classic

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna and Nate have been assigned to Skate America!

Woot!:yahoo::clap::hap57:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did want to sneak back in here to add links to Deanna and Nate's Skate America performances. I thought they were still as captivating as ever, even with some of the errors in the programs

Deanna and Nate's SP at Skate America

Deanna and Nate's LP at Skate America

And how completely adorable Deanna and Nate's reaction to the erroneous score reading of 150 in the SP was:laugh: They are just too cute.;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, what a great comp for Deanna and Nate to absolutely slay!:yahoo:

I love that they brought back Hallelujah, they had only nice things to say about Rohene in an interview I will try to find later, but clearly Hallelujah resonates with them.

And in case you haven't seen it, here it is:clap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LDwTwrlhM

musicfan80

Medalist
I was so excited to see how much Deanna and Nate had improved this weekend!

Best of luck to them at 4CCs. Does anyone know if they plan to continue after this season?