Conrad Orzel | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Conrad Orzel

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
well.... we will see... what I don't want for Conrad is to win on his stellar BV without proper skating skills. If ever he ended up on the podium, i would be a bit worried for him... too early... too soon.... but we are far from there now... he still needs to indeed land his 4 quads.

He could even do a quad or two in his SP as a senior. So 4 isn't a final number. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 quad in the SP. As for a podium position, it's too early to say if he can get that bronze but top 5 may be possible. PCS will play a big role too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
PCS is important when there is one or two quads landed... but if Conrad were to land 4 5 or even6 across two programs.. his pcs, even if much lower than others, wouldn't be preventing him from ranking high.

give him 70.... give patrick 90... put the others in between...

now do the maths with BV.... limitless when it is at 10 points or more a quad

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
good job on the SP for the thornhill competition... conrad is in first and I feel he has improved already with his movement, especially the upper body. long road for him to get a similar level with someone like patrick but he is getting better every time i watch him

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is my screen recording of his Skate Ontario Summer Skate SP (the password is conrad): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xaluf

I do have his LP, but I can't upload it until next week because I've already reached the weekly limit on my Vimeo account. (I have to take a break from Dailymotion because of several music violations that I've received within a short period of time.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is my screen recording of his Skate Ontario Summer Skate SP (the password is conrad): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xaluf

I do have his LP, but I can't upload it until next week because I've already reached the weekly limit on my Vimeo account. (I have to take a break from Dailymotion because of several music violations that I've received within a short period of time.)

thank you for the SP and we will be happy to see the LP when you can upload it... I saw the protocols and he changed the layout a lot from Minto... so i will be curious to see what happened for Conrad here. Of course, he is doing 3 quads still and 2 3a... very ambitious. I hope it gets more and more stable with time

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad is the second skater featured in Beverley Smith's "Boys to Men" article: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/boys-to-men/

and his coach confirms Conrad has landed all quads but the axel in practice!!! GOOOOOO !!!!! GOOOOOOOOOO!

Also to note, Conrad had difficulties at Thornhill as the ice is much smaller than his usual olympic sized training ground. He had to redo a lot of the footwork and program and he struggled with that in the LP. He said he will try to train with less ice so he can adapt better if this happens again..

ALSO!!!! CONRAD WILL BE DOING JGP IN POLAND! YAY! I am thrilled to know that he has a second assignment. Conrad speaks Polish so he may feel at home there!

cathlen what do you say?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hope he will come to Gdańsk, Poland as well :)

that's right!!! you were the one wondering about this... i immediately thought about cathlen since she posted about his Polish name up there... (first page) now I remember, icetug, that you had wished for that very much... so happy that Skate Canada acted smartly !!!! and so happy for you that you will get to see him skate potentially... can you imagine that, I have seen him (i think) sitting not far from me at Nationals, but juniors were done when I made it there... so I still have to see him skate "live" i cannot wait to see his jumps.... they look so high and fast!!!!

GO GO GO Conrad and very happy icetug that you are thinking about welcoming him with a banner!!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
google translate gives 3 definitions for Orzel

eagle, genius, reverse

I wonder which one is mostly used... Conrad flies like an Eagle HEHE :) he is a quad genius ;) (apprentice) and well... yeah.. not sure what to make of reverse !!! any Polish speakers to help us?

icetug

Medalist
google translate gives 3 definitions for Orzel

eagle, genius, reverse

I wonder which one is mostly used... Conrad flies like an Eagle HEHE :) he is a quad genius ;) (apprentice) and well... yeah.. not sure what to make of reverse !!! any Polish speakers to help us?

Basic meaning of "orzeł" is "eagle". But an eagle is not an ordinary bird in Poland as the White Eagle is the national coat of arms, so it is one of national symbols of Poland.

Metaphorical meaning of "orzeł" is "sb clever, talented, outstanding".

Polish coins have a picture of the White Eagle on their reverse (some people claim that on their obverse...).

The best Polish football team (in the 1970ies) was called "Orły Górskiego": Eagles of coach Górski :)

So, although a bird is the first thought when you hear "orzeł", the metaphorical meaning is also commonly in use.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Basic meaning of "orzeł" is "eagle". But an eagle is not an ordinary bird in Poland as the White Eagle is the national coat of arms, so it is one of national symbols of Poland.

Metaphorical meaning of "orzeł" is "sb clever, talented, outstanding".

Polish coins have a picture of the White Eagle on their reverse (some people claim that on their obverse...).

The best Polish football team (in the 1970ies) was called "Orły Górskiego": Eagles of coach Górski :)

So, although a bird is the first thought when you hear "orzeł", the metaphorical meaning is also commonly in use.

well i guess we now have Conrad's nickname "coined" down...

White Eagle ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
stayed up to watch Conrad skate... nice triple axels... but it was a tough outing .... let's do better next time!

luckyguy

Match Penalty
This is my first visit in this thread. What a wonderful source of information GS is! I didn't know before that Conrad "the Eagle" (or "the Highflyer") has Polish roots. At 2017 JWC i didn't pay really attention to him, now after the JGP in Salzburg I am despite his mistakes a fan of him. He is a great talent. But the boy needs definitely more sun.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is my first visit in this thread. What a wonderful source of information GS is! I didn't know before that Conrad "the Eagle" (or "the Highflyer") has Polish roots. At 2017 JWC i didn't pay really attention to him, now after the JGP in Salzburg I am despite his mistakes a fan of him. He is a great talent. But the boy needs definitely more sun.

welcome luckyguy! please come again and post often :) Conrad has had different layouts at each of his events since minto... it is probably difficult to adjust each time. At minto, he started with a quad lutz attempts... + 3 more quads... he removed the lutz in thornhill... and now, he was starting with the triple axel and only attempted 2 quads... so I am wondering if all the experimenting with the layout is getting to him.... normally his jumps are better