2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Now lists at USFS site are corrected http://usfsa.org/story?id=90301&type=media (here are all teams with substitutes)
Yes, Mirai got 4CC.

I feel Gracie should not be listed as an alternate. She was too far down the list and really her skating anothehr competition seems to be a waste for everyone. She is drowning and just flailing. Let her heal and breathe. Stop the madness and give someone else a chance. This is a bit of an insult to someone like Zhang who has worked so hard to come back.

Country
Russia
I feel Gracie should not be listed as an alternate. She was too far down the list and really her skating anothehr competition seems to be a waste for everyone. She is drowning and just flailing. Let her heal and breathe. Stop the madness and give someone else a chance. This is a bit of an insult to someone like Zhang who has worked so hard to come back.

There is minor difference from results of Nats for Worlds team. 1, 2, 3 places - main, 4, 6, 5 - substitutes. Only 5 and 6 changed. Well-known Gracie above not-known Caroline. For 4cc about the same - well-known Gold and Hicks (btw, I've seen Courtney alive at Rostelecom Cup this season - interesting skating, pleasure-to-watch) above not-known.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was freaking out last night over this as I realized she won't even get an automatic bye to Nationals next year. Will she even get a Grand Prix assignment?
Not to fear... :console: Gracie will remain in the top 24 world standings, and so be guaranteed at least 1 GP next season according to ISU rules. So she still will have the door open to compete internationally and get her bye to nationals next year. This season has been a total disaster for her so far, so having that security makes it all the more a better time for her to sit out, reflect and regroup this spring & summer.

Yeah i doubt the USFS will make her skate at regionals or sectionals just to make Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie will get international assignments (GP and/or Challenge events) that will bye her from Regionals and Sectionals.

But not going to Worlds or 4CC will drop her way down in the World Rankings, and she is not high on the SB list and will drop further down after the ISU championships. Nevertheless, she will get two GP assignments, because she is still a draw and now she will be seen as beatable, making her a popular invitation choice.

desertskates

Medalist

I think she should be removed from the list simply because she doesn't currently have a coach. Take her off the lists completely and bump up the next lady. Gracie's got a lot of work to do if she has any chance of trying to rebuild for next season. I wish her the best.

princessalica

Final Flight
I think she should be removed from the list simply because she doesn't currently have a coach. Take her off the lists completely and bump up the next lady. Gracie's got a lot of work to do if she has any chance of trying to rebuild for next season. I wish her the best.

She still placed 6th. Not good for her, but above others that are listed as alternates. But she is basically where she should be on the list plus one spot. Not so much of a jump to be in basically 5th place as spots go. And other skaters have been without coaches before. That should not preclude her from competition.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I think the USFSA has a bit more insight into Gracie's current situation than we do. She will not be going to either event in her alternate postition. She could already have the coaching situation figured out for all we know.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd almost rather that Gracie go to someone other then Alex. She needs a great choreographer to work with also and Scott Brown won't cut it like when she was with Alex the first time. Say what you want about Frank but he did make huge improvements in her skating not counting the jumps. I'd love to see her with Rohene he thinks outside of the box and might finally get Gracie to open up and skate to what she really wants.

Last edited:

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I was disappointed because this Nationals could have been absolutely epic and it was not. NONE of the top women were flawless and that's what I came to see. I wanted one classic skate. Caroline Zhang made for a wonderful feel good moment, but she wasn't getting the title due to her technical content. I can't stand on ice skates, let alone jump, but am I wrong for hoping for a better night given the stories involved? I may be alone, but I expected more. If Karen, Ashley and Mariah skate the way they did on Saturday at Worlds the US does not have a snowballs chance in hell of medaling, imo. That is why I am disappointed.

Barb

Record Breaker
I was disappointed because this Nationals could have been absolutely epic and it was not. NONE of the top women were flawless and that's what I came to see. I wanted one classic skate. Caroline Zhang made for a wonderful feel good moment, but she wasn't getting the title due to her technical content. I can't stand on ice skates, let alone jump, but am I wrong for hoping for a better night given the stories involved? I may be alone, but I expected more. If Karen, Ashley and Mariah skate the way they did on Saturday at Worlds the US does not have a snowballs chance in hell of medaling, imo. That is why I am disappointed.

But I don´t understand why you had high expectations, Gracie was a mess all season, Ashley did not get GPF, the second competition of Mariah was not good, Mirai is Mirai.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
But I don´t understand why you had high expectations, Gracie was a mess all season, Ashley did not get GPF, the second competition of Mariah was not good, Mirai is Mirai.

He/she expected the Adelina-Olympic-mega-inflation effect on these women.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I'd almost rather that Gracie go to someone other then Alex. She needs a great choreographer to work with also and Scott Brown won't cut it like when she was with Alex the first time. Say what you want about Frank but he did make huge improvements in her skating not counting the jumps. I'd love to see her with Rohene he thinks outside of the box and might finally get Gracie to open up and skate to what she really wants.

You don't have to be coached by Frank to have Lori as a choreographer (not that Lori's programs for Gracie were that good, JMO). And even the best programs in the world won't change anything for Gracie if she keeps on falling and doubling her jumps. I'd say, packaging is not her #1 problem right now.
Going to back to Alex seems like a logical choice for her now: he knows her, he is the one she learned her jumps from, and the next season is the Olympic season, while getting a new coach now would require some time for that new coach and Gracie to get used to each other. Also, I would love to see her beautiful big jumps back, because her jumps with Frank became significally lower and nothing special overall.

Some of my thoughts on ladies event:
Karen Chen is probably the best American lady right now. Still, her 3-3 would get called UR anywhere outside of the US (not that she is the only one, when I watched top 5 after the SP I haven't seen a single clean 3-3, yet the protocols tell different story) and I never liked her programs, I think she deserves better ones. And, of course, consistency is not her strong side.
Mariah Bell is a joy to watch, very charismatic and beautiful skater. However, her scores with such mistakes were too high, but it's Nationals. Consistency is a big question for her too, and it's quite risky for the US to have two inconsistent debutants in the team in terms of 3 spots next year, but not that there are much choice. Mirai is just as inconsistent, and Gracie was a disappointment all season.
Ashley is not my cup of tea at all.
I really liked Tessa Hong, great posture and musicality, and she is so young. But backloading the LP is a big mistake for her (and also her performance shows how hard it really is to do the jumps in the second half and why it's rewarded, even though I agree with those who prefer well-balanced programs).
Glad for Caroline Zhang, after so many ups and downs she still found the strenght to come back and even improve her skating