2017 Canadian Nats Senior Women's FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Women's FS

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kurt just mentioned that he felt Kaetlyn was behind the music going into the loop and he verified that with Coach Wali. So Kaetlyn couldn't catch up from that point and it accounted for the breakdown segment.

peg

Medalist
I don't think Kaetlyn or her coach are that naive. She isn't going to be on the world podium with pops either, so I feel rotating and falling is a step in the right direction. Next step...actually landing the jumps. Fingers crossed.

I agree. Plus Kaetlyn is one of the few skaters who gets right back into the performance after a fall, so her falls don't affect her PCS as much as many other skaters.

rain

Record Breaker
I don't think Kaetlyn or her coach are that naive. She isn't going to be on the world podium with pops either, so I feel rotating and falling is a step in the right direction. Next step...actually landing the jumps. Fingers crossed.

This is very true. I think this is the first time this year she hasn't popped anything in the long. That is important.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't like seeing skaters with falls winning but it's hard to argue with Kaetlyn's style and her previous lead.

While I dislike falls just as much as everyone else, I would much rather see a fall on a fully rotated jump than a pop.

Lubov and Gracie, are you listening to what I just said....? ;)

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
Kaetlyn seems incapable of doing a clean long program...but it seems that she has nailed down a clean 3F+3T, 3Lz, 2A for both programs... Either she hasn't trained her other jumps enough or she doesn't have enough second half endurance.

Anyways the score was insane. She probably would have gotten around a 125 internationally for that but 130 here would probably been fair. I would have Gabby winning slightly, since the SP gap should prob have been more like 3-4 points.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The score was too high imo but I'm fine with Kaetlyn and Gabby going to worlds so I'll not complain.

I'm really happy for Larkyn. She was overjoyed and I hope she will enjoy her time on the national team!

TGee

Record Breaker
Don't see that it's been noted here yet, but Alaine was asked in her post-event interview on CTV about twisting her ankle and missing a day of skating earlier in the week...injury took place in practice Monday, she skipped training Tuesday.

She wasn't making it an excuse, but rather saying that while she was disappointed she felt that she'd made a good showing with that.

Frankly, in my view, Pina was her best SP all season, and her FS Rome was more in form even if she gave more away in two foot landings than she should. Tracy Wilson is totally right when she says that two foot landings and URs dog Alaine when she's stressed.

But the jumps that she struggled on --3Lz and 3Lo have been her risk points for a while...

Still feeling that the coaching mix isn't quite right...She credited her win at nationals last year [at least on Instagram] in part to the amount of run-throughs she'd done with her Ottawa coach Robert Kazimir....wondering if there has been a change on this at all. While he was noted as part of her team in the Ottawa Citizen story, he's not listed in the ISU bio....If he is part of getting her in the zone, why isn't he at the big events with her, rather than just Michelle Lee and Brian Orser?

Last edited: