2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It means American ice dance is competitive and healthy. I remember back in the Lang/Tchernyeshev days and you had to pull teeth to get people to talk about American ice dancing.

And it doesn't hurt the judges were very very kind and generous. First place to the US judges for overmarking beats Canada and Russia. The hype was increased with the out of the world scores.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
And it doesn't hurt the judges were very very kind and generous. First place to the US judges for overmarking beats Canada and Russia. The hype was increased with the out of the world scores.

Well, that's what happens when you have the reigning world silver and bronze medalists plus many other medals their top three teams collected this season alone. I'm sure if we looked at the Nationals scores last season, they were much higher than what the Shibs and C/B and H/D received earlier that season, but by Worlds, they were pretty close to what they ended up getting.

Plus, nationals inflated marks don't result in fanbases or interest. L/T and Punsalan/Swallow, etc. would get 5.9s and maybe even 6.0s at Nationals.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not a great event by a long shot, but the biggest takeaway for me is absolute heartbreak for Hawayek and Baker. Nice to see Chock & Bates finally give an error-free performance of that FD, though I too question some of the choreographic changes.