2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs FS

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lubov and Dylan (their last names are way too hard for this Anglophone): I do love Lubov's dress. Get ready for overly sentimental dreck sang by Josh Groban.

Nice twist, high, fast
SBS Lubov Falls. (should I just cut and paste that? I hope not)
SBS Lubov doubles. (no more mistakes guys)
Beautiful lift.
SBS spins are good, close and pretty synched.
Another good lift. She's so flexible
Throw 3 landed well.
Nice entry into the death spiral
throw triple landed
Nice pair spin
beautiful ending lift. Just lovely.

Except for the SBS jumps it was very well skated.
They took out the part when she runs to him with open arms (that was my least favourite part)

TGee

Record Breaker
For a few competitions it looked like Lubov's jump woes had been rectified...but they are back in full force... their sbs jumps are mainly what hold them back (and yes, dillon has issues too). I do enjoy their skating, though.

I saw her look back to look for hi just as she is about to take off for the first jump, and could see her hesitate...and then fall. And she seemed to be okay on the take-off for the second, and when he wasn't as he should be, doubled.... She has such fast rotations in the twist and through...wonder how that is messing the synchronicity.

Amazing how well they can just leave the failed SBS jumps aside and deliver the rest of the program again and again.. but it has to be addressed...

liv

Record Breaker
I thought she did run to him after the 2nd throw? I hope it was gone and I just imagined it... I am watching multiple channels and sports right now, lol!!!

liv

Record Breaker
Now eric and megan. Their music is my favourite part of their skating... just wish it was edith piaf.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
BARB UNDERHILL in the house!

Megan and Eric:
Nice twist very high, low catch
SBS 3 lutzes got the combo. Well done.
Throw 4 S, bad fall. Almost on her face poor thing
Lift was good althought it look like Eric touched her leg
Nice SBS 3 S.
Good death spiral
SBS spins are good with decent syncro
Throw 3 lutz landing was bad'
Pair spin looks good
Nice lift, good ice coverage,
Nice closing lift with Eric in a nice spread eagle position

Better than the GPF.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought she did run to him after the 2nd throw? I hope it was gone and I just imagined it... I am watching multiple channels and sports right now, lol!!!

Yeah..she did.. I blocked it out. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

TGee

Record Breaker
The DM stream is on with men!!!

Interesting....perhaps CTV is in some "fail to meet the conditions of the contract" situation....OR perhaps they don't plan to show Bennet and some of the others...

ETA likely the latter...can't see CTV doing two whole flights...

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Megan is, what my mom used to call, a motor mouth.

I love Eric. He seems like such a nice, decent guy.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Jones and Reagan and Ruest and Wolfe are on the national team I guess. What do they do with S/B in regards to the team? Can they have 6?

Megan is quite emotional about winning 6 titles. Eric is happy with this skate after the GPF. I wonder if they will want to go to 4 CC?

rain

Record Breaker
I really wish Skate Canada would revisit whatever contract they have with CTV/TSN. But the way the new CEO was talking in an interview with Ted Barton, it sounded as though they will be doing the broadcast for next year from Vancouver...

And CBC not only has livestream as well as broadcast, but also puts up the full programs for all the medallists.

Not only that, they usually have the entire segments up so you can watch them after if you didn't catch them in real time...

TGee

Record Breaker
Jones and Reagan and Ruest and Wolfe are on the national team I guess. What do they do with S/B in regards to the team? Can they have 6?

I'm not sure it works that way....Skate Canada as the national fed makes the nominations to Sport Canada, the federal funder, for carding under the federal Athlete Assistance program. Sport Canada criteria will give priority to a team like S/B that has been in the Grand Prix final... World podium and "world cup" event podiums are definitely the objective, and potential to get to those is among the criteria.

How the Sport Canada carding and national team status [with other supports from Skate Canada] interleave I'm not quite sure...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm not sure it works that way....Skate Canada as the national fed makes the nominations to Sport Canada, the federal funder, for carding under the federal Athlete Assistance program. Sport Canada criteria will give priority to a team like S/B that has been in the Grand Prix final... World podium and "world cup" event podiums are definitely the objective, and potential to get to those is among the criteria.How the Sport Canada carding and national team status [with other supports from Skate Canada] interleave I'm not quite sure...

hmmm... I guess it could be that Ruest and Wolfe or Reagan and Jones might get dropped off the national team. Sad for one of them but they would have been behind S/B if S/B had been there.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Alaine was injured (sprained ankle) and she's teary. Poor thing. I wonder if she'll be ready to go to 4CC if she is sent?

TGee

Record Breaker
Not only that, they usually have the entire segments up so you can watch them after if you didn't catch them in real time...

CBC has the Olympic rights for Canada. They have had to up their streaming to meet expectations for that over the past two quadrennials. I think they've figured out that the ad revenue comes in from te streams too....

In any event, CTV/TSN are stuck and the past and don't deserve to have this event anymore....If they are so happy with their ratings for this year's event [as the new SC CEO says], perhaps they will be willing embrace modern norms in order to keep it.....

Don't give in Skate Canada!!!

bobbob

Medalist
Lubov and Dylan were so beautiful...it's a shame she can't do SBS jumps because otherwise they would be a major threat. There were so many moments in that program, but I was aghast when they did their beautiful dance lift with Lubov in a layback position before their final lift--amazing! They should have gotten higher PCS than Meagan and Eric, how can any judge in their right mind give such a beautiful program of Lubov lower PCS than Meagan???-reputation judging at its worst.