2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs FS

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dylan is nearing his mid thirties. He has to be retiring soon. If Michael can work on his weaknesses , they could be competitive in 2022 and 2026.

Oh come on, Dylan's only 32. :p Look at old man Zhang, he'll be making the run to 2022 and nobody even knows how old he really is. :laugh:

Michael and KMT will be 30 in 2022 and 34 in 2026.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Oh come on, Dylan's only 32. :p Look at old man Zhang, he'll be making the run to 2022 and nobody even knows how old he really is. :laugh:

Michael and KMT will be 30 in 2022 and 34 in 2026.

You think by 2026 he'll finally know how to get lifts up cleanly and get them down cleanly and not abort them? Inquiring minds want to know.

waterblades

On the Ice
CBC has the Olympic rights for Canada. They have had to up their streaming to meet expectations for that over the past two quadrennials. I think they've figured out that the ad revenue comes in from te streams too....

In any event, CTV/TSN are stuck and the past and don't deserve to have this event anymore....If they are so happy with their ratings for this year's event [as the new SC CEO says], perhaps they will be willing embrace modern norms in order to keep it.....

Don't give in Skate Canada!!!
totally agree that the streaming is better on CBC but CBC bairly shows the top skaters and doesn't even show all the Canadians at the events. The CBC was horrible this year. They give us one hour for each disaplin and take at least ten minutes from that hour to show highlights for skiing bobsled speed skating, plus interviewing the skaters. Give us more skating. At least TSN is showing the top flights and then some. Wish Rod would say more intelligent things. It's so annoying when he try's to make drama when there isn't any.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Insider report coming after second round of drinks will be had. I am celebrating the excellence of canadian skating tonight. Will be back shortly.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Lubov and Dylan were so beautiful...it's a shame she can't do SBS jumps because otherwise they would be a major threat. There were so many moments in that program, but I was aghast when they did their beautiful dance lift with Lubov in a layback position before their final lift--amazing!

They are so gorgeous. Classic, stunning — she's managed to make him more elegant. I LOVE that last lift and the entry. There are so many special moments in the program. Their lifts are the best in Canada, for sure, and some of the best in the world. There is something so authentic and real about them, it makes you root for them.

TGee

Record Breaker
totally agree that the streaming is better on CBC but CBC bairly shows the top skaters and doesn't even show all the Canadians at the events. The CBC was horrible this year. They give us one hour for each disaplin and take at least ten minutes from that hour to show highlights for skiing bobsled speed skating, plus interviewing the skaters. Give us more skating. At least TSN is showing the top flights and then some. Wish Rod would say more intelligent things. It's so annoying when he try's to make drama when there isn't any.

Hard to know how CBC would handle nationals and Skate Canada....not sure their coverage of Grand Prix events held in other countries gives a good read.

Certainly, their Olympic coverage of skating was super complete, so we might see more fulsome coverage if they were the title network for nationals and SCI...

rain

Record Breaker
This was a good program for D/R, but I enjoyed I/M's performance more. So, so sad to not have S/B able to compete. A concussion — that can be a long healing time. It would be so terrible and almost unbelievably unlucky if they had to miss worlds two years in a row. And yes, I do think they should be sent if they are performing OK.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Michael has made a lot of progress on his lifts. And so has KMT. Again, this is a joint effort. All the blame would not lie just with him. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how straight he was standing in those lifts today. And they really are the least trained due to the concussion. I thought they did very well.

Lubov and Dylan are lovely. They need help on SBS, but I have to think they are in the right club for that. It almost seems like a mental/confidence thing. I'm sure there are folks who can help with that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okay... here we are.. i am so sad I didn't check this earlier... I could have filled you in... didn't know you were left without streams...

I took a few notes about each pair.... here is what i have/remember

Ekaterina and Mr. Arcieri ;)

I was very relieved when the twist was done... the falls on this element, like we saw yesterday and last year are the scariest ones... I can see he is wearing tape on this right hand... maybe that's an injury from yesterday's issues... Everything seemed better than in the SP until the mishap on the death spiral... this got me worried again... when you see mistakes that you have never seen before, you start thinking : are they really ready to be doing these hard elements at such a high level? Another lift went down... oh lord...

K/Deschamps... I love this boy... i'd pair him ;) I am about to send a formal request to SarahSynchro to increase my harem list again... I may have to release someone else if not.. he is worth it... (but I am still keeping Poje )

I loved their throws. In general they skated well. Good potential and good result considering that they are too, in the initial stages of their partnership... The last lift was a bit scary but it became spectacular. I guess that's what makes that sport... borderline between spectacular and danger... which makes it even more spectacular IMHO..

I think people, including the ISU, take pairs too for granted.. give me a break... the quad throws should be worth more... the SBS jumps too.. I am sorry but it's not the same synching two lutzes than being able to do a lutz... and the combos are much harder in pairs as well.. yet they are scored on the same scale as the singles.. no no no...

Jones and Reagan ... or Barbie and Ken ;) some weird things happened with them... like it's okay buddy... you can pop a jump but erm... there are two more doubles to go through... just don't stay and watch her do them??? a few points lost just like that... and well... it was really ugly to watch live...
Also, it should be illegal to perform to the music they had chosen today... Vanessa Mae??? oh please... and nessun dorma has never sounded so terribly... i wonder who was singing it ;)

What is good with this team : lifts... he is a beast...

Ruest and Wolfe... I have seen them at ACI... they were nervous tonight and of course, perhaps they realized that they were on the bobble of making the national team... if we assume that SC will give S/B a spot on it, well, after the SP, they were 5th including SB and thus, on the team... For pairs, it doesn't much matter in terms of international assignments... they will get some... they already did get a GP last year... but for funding... i guess that's another story...

SC : listen to me... fund one less ice dance team :devil: and one more pair team...

Ruest and Wolfe are special... His dance experience is clear in his lines, edges and of course, the beautiful dance lifts they include in their programs... However, perhaps they were a bit ambitious here... many of these dance lifts transition into big elements and today, they had a mini meltdown... it was sad to see as they were better in the fall... yet.. well.. perhaps the performance was better in the fall but it looks like they are improving in quality.... get that triple twist and onward !!!!

MTM2.0

I am not a fan of half loop combos... and i am wondering what they are thinking attempting 2A-1/2L-3S.. are you for real???? They both are solid jumpers but to synch that combo in SBS jumps... crazy.... and of course, ... more popcorn...

I have to say that I thought Michael improved a lot on the lifts.... I was almost never scared ;)

I/M

if some of you have made prayer circles for Lubov before... well the whole crowd was chanting "land your jumps... land your jumps" ... but I guess that wasn't enough.... and improvement ; she attempted the 3t... another improvement...she doubled the 3S instead of singling it.

I took 5 marks of their score for their music... COME ON!! Just Garbage again? IN the SBS spins, she goes much lower on the sit spin... her head is pretty much touching her boot... I doubt Dylan is able to do this... they should match each other...

I am glad they dicthed the cantilever death sprial entry... this one is just as cool... :)

Smart strategy for them... they do the jumo right at the beginning. which allows them to leave a long and lasting good impression with the content of the latter part : throws and lifts.

Standing ovation for a beautiful skate.

Duhamel and Radford... I was glad to see them after watching GPF where they had a lot of issues... they are always working... looking at their options and trying to score better....

their twist was gorgeous... their 3lz-2t wow.. is that the first time it's landed in pairs?? I would say so ;) the 4S throw was a bit scary... meagan is a tough girl!

then, the 3S : not only they are gorgeous but they allow for more time to get into their new throw.. with its entrance... it was big... foot down for meagan... she will get the throws... they got everything else and a huge standing ovation..

... oups.. sorry... i fell asleep while writing this... i never thought it would take that long for such a small report... but yeah... potent drink here ;) plus skating exhaustion... let's wake up so i can do the report for the men!!!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm glad to see Meagan & Eric back to their old selfs. Eric's made the right choice wearing a dark top, ash rose does not complement his handsome looks. ;)
Wishing speedy recovery to Julianne & Charlie!

LisaS

On the Ice
Skate Canada has announced World Team. Seguin and Bilodeau get Worlds. MT and M get 4Cc

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Skate Canada has announced World Team. Seguin and Bilodeau get Worlds. MT and M get 4Cc

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
This is the right decision in my opinion. S/B are better than KMT/MM right now.
My only question is: Why are D/R going to 4CC? Because it's the Olympic venue and they want to check it out? I'm surprised they feel the need to go.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is the right decision in my opinion. S/B are better than KMT/MM right now.
My only question is: Why are D/R going to 4CC? Because it's the Olympic venue and they want to check it out? I'm surprised they feel the need to go.
For the same reason they went to finland? And probably to secure the many changes they have made.