2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 108 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

That was interesting. You're right that Grant definitely says what sounds like "Steen" It was also interesting that Caroline says what sounds to me like "Zang" instead of "Shang" which is how I have always pronounced it. That was cool. Thanks for posting.

I think that Zhang is pronounced something like Jiang or J'ong?

Speaking of German names, I alway got a kick out of U.S. country singer Patsy Cline.

Does Albert Einstein mean "Single Stone"? :)

I am still working on my Mariah Bell poem. Here's what I've got so far: "Mariah Bell is mighty swell. If you don't like her, go _______." I can't seem to find the right rhyme.

xox

On the Ice
I think you've forgotten the fact that Kevin Reynolds won Four Continents in 2013. He beat Yuzuru Hanyu, to boot.

Kevin's also won an Olympic silver medal in the team event. He's had break out moments and competitions. Injuries have made it hard to stick around though.

Nathan has had some serious setbacks too. Most skaters have at one time or another. Fact is Kevin has not improved to the level of of others. He often underrotates and has no glide out of jumps. His skating skill compared to Patrick have not strengthened
He has had the same coach throughout his whole career. Bottom line he never developed the full package. Known in the stands as a human helicopter

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nathan has had some serious setbacks too. Most skaters have at one time or another. Fact is Kevin has not improved to the level of of others. He often underrotates and has no glide out of jumps. His skating skill compared to Patrick have not strengthened
He has had the same coach throughout his whole career. Bottom line he never developed the full package. Known in the stands as a human helicopter

Some people deal with set backs better than others. You can't put everyone in the same boat. If we apply that logic then Yuzuru should be back to break records now that's had time to heal his injury. Why's he not doing that? Do you blame him for that?

I have never heard Kevin called that and if I did I would not turn a deaf ear to such comments. I agree Kevin could be better. With the skills he has he did manage to accomplish somethings. I won't dismiss those things while keeping in mind that he can improve.

I find it pointless to compare the skating skills of most men to Patrick Chan. Patrick's got something almost no one else on the ice does. In part because of who he is and the hard work he put in, but also in large part because of Osborne Colson. I don't fault Kevin for not training with Mr. Colson because Kevin grew up in BC.

Honestly the only Canadian man right now who has SS maybe coming close to Patrick is Liam Firus. And his record speaks for itself.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I think that Zhang is pronounced something like Jiang or J'ong?

Yeah, it's close to Jong in Mandarin Chinese. Hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ3HgI2xIwo

Caroline is pronouncing it the way a lot of second-generation (or later) Chinese Americans say it. It's the Westernized pronunciation and is very different from how Zhang actually sounds in Mandarin Chinese.

I am still working on my Mariah Bell poem. Here's what I've got so far: "Mariah Bell is mighty swell. If you don't like her, go _______." I can't seem to find the right rhyme.

Bell is quite hard! fell, knell, yell, sell, h___,.... mostly unusable

"Mariah Bell is mighty swell. She'd be wonderful skating to Ravel" is all I've got :slink:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He has had the same coach throughout his whole career. Bottom line he never developed the full package.

xox, i feel that we need to clarify a few things here.

kevin won 4CC ahead of the top athletes of his time... he is the first man to land two quads in a SP. He also skated brilliantly, some say he should have ended first, in the LP of the team event at Sochi... He was really on top of his shape back then and finding his momentum. An olympic silver medal is quite a feat!!! Also, during those years, he was backing up Chiddy at worlds, which allowed Canada to send a third man at worlds and olympics... without his great performances, no Liam at Sochi...

so think whatever you want of Kevin but any athlete with a major title, a silver at olympics and a 5th in the world after winning a small medal for the SP is not someone I would belittle.

After that? Already in mid twenties, he lost a year with boot issues and another with a hip injury... He focused on his studies.... He seems to be getting better and better since the fall and I wouldn't be surprised if his plans included working really hard to get back to the Olympics. You gotta give him that, returning to the sport, after having had relative success including a silver at Olympics....

As we don't know the nature of the injuries of nathan and kevin, as we aren't their physicians or in touch with them, we cannot compare....for what it's worth, perhaps Nathan's injury was one that can fully heal and is easier to heal if it happens during young age???? I don't know... it seems like Kevin's injury had to do with wear and tear.... those don't fully heal... but I also don't know... it could be the opposite....

But here's the deal : i think it is psychologically much easier to get back into a sport, before you haven't had your opportunities, before a certain age. knowing that all the hard work to get back into shape may be worth it...

as for the insulting name calling in your post... i removed it... it's not appropriate in my opinion. In the stands, at Nationals, ladies were giggling about his hair and thought he was cute and funny looking ;) but it was just in good spirits.... nothing harmful or disrespectful.

Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
Hawksteen is actually very funny to a german, because that name is a german name meaning 'high stone' and is definitely pronounced differently in german.

Chan and Chen is the same name? I always thought that Chinese is a language where the difference in pronounciation changes everything.

Chan and Chen are just examples of different romanization systems of the Chinese language, the former from Yale romanization, developed by an American in the 1940s, the latter from the standard romanization developed in the 1950s by a Chinese. The Yale system has been more widely used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and other Chinese speaking regions, and the latter is the official system used in mainland China post-1949. They both refer to the same family name. (Another example: Wong and Wang)

Nathan's family originally came from Beijing, which explains the way he spells his last name. Patrick's family I would imagine originally came from southern part of China or emigrated before the new system was adopted.

Last edited:

Johnet

Rinkside
Chan and Chen are just examples of different romanization systems of the Chinese language, the former from Yale romanization, developed by an American in the 1940s, the latter from the standard romanization developed in the 1950s by a Chinese. The Yale system has been more widely used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and other Chinese speaking regions, and the latter is the official system used in mainland China post-1949. They both refer to the same family name. (Another example: Wong and Wang)

Nathan's family originally came from Beijing, which explains the way he spells his last name. Patrick's family I would imagine originally came from southern part of China or emigrated before the new system was adopted.

Not just different romanizations, really, but actually romanization of the same surname in different languages/dialects. Chen is how it's pronounced in Mandarin, and Chan for Cantonese. There are also Chin, Tin, Tan and many more in other Chinese languages/dialects. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_(surname).

Also, there are more than just one Yale romanization system. The Yale system for Mandarin is not the same thing as the Yale system for Cantonese. The spelling "Chan" was used by Cantonese speaking people long before establishment of any standardized system anyway.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks everybody. Okay, Rittberger = loop. Rittberger = loop. Rittberger = loop.
Never forgetting it again.
Until tomorrow or so. ;-)

Named for it's inventor, the late Werner Rittberger. He was German National Champion and World silver medallist several times from 1911 through to 1928. Never forget!! :biggrin: I think the term 'Rittberger' is used in Europe but not as much (if ever?) in the U.S. Personally, I love when a skill's inventor is honored by being remembered in this way.

I LOVED the men's SP. I enjoyed it very much and I was especially THRILLED for Nathan! :love: Please skate gods keep him healthy through the Olympics and many more years to come!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Named for it's inventor, the late Werner Rittberger. He was German National Champion and World silver medallist several times from 1911 through to 1928. Never forget!! :biggrin: I think the term 'Rittberger' is used in Europe but not as much (if ever?) in the U.S. Personally, I love when a skill's inventor is honored by being remembered in this way.

I LOVED the men's SP. I enjoyed it very much and I was especially THRILLED for Nathan! :love: Please skate gods keep him healthy through the Olympics and many more years to come!

As a European, it was always Rittberger for me. I was so confused by "Loop" jump at first when I started reading English forums :laugh: