2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

Olympic

On the Ice
I think 7 of the top 8 scorers for this season will be here (Fernandez missing) - Hanyu, Uno, Chen, Chan, Jin, Ten, Brown. If Rippon were healthy, it could've been 8 out of 9! Truly a mini-Worlds.

Israel should dump Euros and jump on the 4CC train. Bychenko could join the fun. They are technically in Asia, anyway. :)

da96103

Record Breaker
It's raining quads, hallelujah, it's raining quads, amen ~ ♪

Another reunion of 5 quad brothers?

We may also get to see at least 4 of the brothers bringing their three-toed girlfriends

Nathan also bring quad flip and its two-toed twins..

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Do you really believe they (top men) will all show up at 4 CC's? Risk injury before Worlds? Risk coming in off the podium behind 3 of their competitors going into Worlds?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Israel should dump Euros and jump on the 4CC train. Bychenko could join the fun. They are technically in Asia, anyway. :)

I don´t believe that is a matter of choice, because Israel is kind of counted into Europe (from some reason) and they participate e.g. at Eurovision song contest... Israel is also a full member of The European Olympic Committee.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Do you really believe they (top men) will all show up at 4 CC's? Risk injury before Worlds? Risk coming in off the podium behind 3 of their competitors going into Worlds?

I am not sure if it's that bigger risk of injuiry than any other training day

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

Of course. For one, the 4CC is an Olympic test event this year, which is pretty important and two, it's pretty nicely situated in terms of timing so provides for a sense of continuity in competitions without that big break otherwise between most Nats and the Worlds. It's also a good measure of strength against the top men, bar Javier, with still some room to work on possible improvements until Helsinki.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is the exact contrast against the Euro where it was a weak field of Men except for Javi the easy winner. Here it's deep, tough, quads filled, and unpredictable, with all the top Men but for the Euro Champ. IOW, exciting.

Will Patrick include a 4S in his SP or will he rather go for two clean programs? How will Yuzuru do after a long break and will he try a new quad? Will D10 show up or will he send one of his doubles? Who will land 5 clean quads in the LP, Boyang or Nathan? Who will land the most quads in total? Will Shoma win his first medal outside of the GP events? Will Han retain his Bronze medal the fourth time? Will the well loved non medal contenders delight and charm their fans all over again?

There will be triumphs and drama.

sallycinnamon

Medalist

It is possibly the most important 4CC since 2009 (in 2009 it was held in Vancouver, in the Pacific Coliseum where the fs event at the Olympics were a year later. Interestingly, the 4CC in 2001 was also in the same arena in SLC where the Olympics took place in 2002).
The skaters can test the arena - not only the rink itself, but they can also get used to the whole arena, the conditions and the environment too (like temperature for example which can also be important because the competition will be around the same time in February as the Olympics).
They can check their programs before Worlds, too. For many skaters it will be the first competition since December, so three months without a competition would be too long for some. They will have 5 weeks until Helsinki to improve their programs.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I wonder if Javi feels cheated of the Olympic arena testing opportunity. :think:

Seriously? Skating there once over a year before Olympics doesn't mean you are guaranteed to have a good skate there when the time comes. Javier is one of the most experienced skaters in the men's field and he's surely dealt with every possible kind of conditions in every kind of rink...he will manage it. Besides, the things that matter most like the quality of the ice and the judges are not going to be the same in one year. I really doubt he feels "cheated" when he looks at his 5th gold medal from Euros.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^

at the same time, athletes like to do visualization.... for instance, Alaine Chartrand, if I recall correctly, went down to Boston to watch a hockey game before worlds in boston.... some skaters trained in Mississauga before Skate Canada...

Javi, if he is one skater who does visualization may go check the rink out before the games. So yes, in that sense, without feeling we was deprived as he did get to compete in his prestigious event, he may be feeling a bit jealous not being there to have a feeling about how it will be a year from now...

Of course, visualization doesn't mean winning... and some athletes do not care about it... but many do. Also, there is acclimatization which seems to be a trend with athletes... Look at how many top Canadians went to Finlandia this year, just to get accustomed with the jet lag and so on as worlds will be in Helsinki... same deal...

So I do not expect many withdrawals from the top men... and I wouldn't be surprised if Javi went in the off-season to check the venue out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Seriously? Skating there once over a year before Olympics doesn't mean you are guaranteed to have a good skate there when the time comes. Javier is one of the most experienced skaters in the men's field and he's surely dealt with every possible kind of conditions in every kind of rink...he will manage it. Besides, the things that matter most like the quality of the ice and the judges are not going to be the same in one year. I really doubt he feels "cheated" when he looks at his 5th gold medal from Euros.

Not that seriously. :) However, testing out the facilities is still an advantage that Javi's real and main rivals are not turning down for the Main Event that far exceeds Euros in prestige.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's nice to see this competition FINALLY getting the respect it deserves from the big-country skaters. A shame it took it being the Olympic test event for it to happen, but at least people are finally respecting it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Not that seriously. :) However, testing out the facilities is still an advantage that Javi's real and main rivals are not turning down for the Main Event that far exceeds Euros in prestige.

I guess that's just a matter of opinion. It only feels a little bit different in the men's event this time because Yuzuru will be there; otherwise I do not agree that it "far exceeds Euros in prestige" at all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I guess that's just a matter of opinion. It only feels a little bit different in the men's event this time because Yuzuru will be there; otherwise I do not agree that it "far exceeds Euros in prestige" at all.

I meant the Olympics being the Main Event. But, 4CC has been more prestigious in recent years than Euro IMO.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No way. Over the last couple of years 4CC has far exceeded Euros in terms of the quality of skating and the scoring. That score Javi got last year was a freaking joke.

(WOOT WOOT, we're on page 4 and still have two weeks to go! :yes: )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's nice to see this competition FINALLY getting the respect it deserves from the big-country skaters. A shame it took it being the Olympic test event for it to happen, but at least people are finally respecting it.

I think one of the issues was that the top countries were sending lower ranked athletes to 4CC to allow them to score points in an ISU championship.... with the depth of some teams like the USA and Japan, it meant sometimes that they would send their B teams to the 4CC... However, it is starting to change I believe... not just with the Olympics... but athletes realize, especially men these days, that they need the mileage to perform oh so many quads.... We see a very gradual improvement from the first Challengers of the season to the GP, then Nationals... etc... so why not take advantage of yet another outing...? I think it will be a big benefit for the top skaters... will it push further down the "second tier" skaters, not really as the Challenger series is also getting more popular....

Just to give on example, Patrick never used to compete before the Grand Prix season.. he would do Japan open or just stay home... He said this year he wanted to get out earlier (Finlandia) to get his programs out earlier and have more competition experience. I think that's just one example that confirms that we may see more and more of the top athletes attend 4CC.

This is not to diminish the prestige of the European Championship that has been around for decades and means a lot to the skaters... However, the fact is that in Dance, and Men, a 4CC championship will be a huge achievement this year.

da96103

Record Breaker

Of course, 2017 4CC is also known as NE Olympics in the men's competition and NENAW Olympic in the ladies competition..

NE = Non-European

See if any fan can deduce what NENAW is.