2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
33 pages for the men, 3 pages for the ladies. Whaaa.....???!!

breadstal

Record Breaker
Lol I'm happy this thread doesn't have pointless 33 pages. Lots of people will tune up for actual event at the end like always.

TGee

Record Breaker
The reason for lacks of coverage on ladies is simply because the line-up for ladies at 4CC is very weak compared to the men's and there is no distinctive star to draw the locals or people from the neighboring countries and their media.

Seriously.....??? :rofl:

While I will grant that Korea does not have a star in this event, and Sakoto's absence may impact the Japanese media market, I find it boggling to think that this is a 'weak' ladies line-up.

Yes, this is the one event in which the absence of the Russians makes a huge difference given that Medvedeva and Pogorilaya are always podium prospects. But the chance to see how the women sort out minus the Russians is one of the real interest points of the event.

In any event, I'm counting my blessings that I'm in Canada and will be able to catch the CBC livestream [and replays].

Here's the CBC schedule for those not geo-blocked http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ha, of course not, but a little separation would have been duly appreciated so that I have a moment to recover!

If you like Brendan's 3Lz you will also like Andrew's :yes:

wait.. i think it's andrew's i like :) which one went to ACI?

TGee

Record Breaker
If you would like pay the salaries for the thousands of sports (and news) reporters who have been laid off in the last several years, that would be a good way to get the coverage you want. They are not covering 4CC because they don't want to; it's cause they're unable too.

The ranks of Olympic sports reporters are dropping. Phil Hersh took a buyout with the Chicago Tribune (the nicer version of a layoff) and is only still around cause he's well-known/well-regarded enough to get freelance gigs.

And I think covering a president who is passing policies that could change the way the U.S. operates is pretty important.

And guess what, the reporters are doing their jobs, alright -- with fewer benefits, more furloughs and under low morale and under constant attack from the public.

I apologize for the off-topic, but I have friends who are in this field (including several in sports) and I just won't stand to hear accusations that they're "not doing their job" when they are stressing out to the max and dealing with such unideal conditions at the moment.

:eek:topic:Uhm, the US isn't the only market .... and as GS is a multinational board, US media aren't the only media that we are speaking to when we raise issues about the quality and balance of coverage.

Like others, one could say that I come from a media family. Have great compassion and respect for those in the field in the US who are working in a very challenging environment now....Brings to mind family stories of the challenges of covering in difficult environments world-wide over many decades, including SE Asia in the 1970s among others.

But I can also say that the old hands in my family would be the first ones writing letters to the editor about poor quality work, bad research or unbalanced coverage. [...and they usually were published...] Precisely because letting standards drop when the profession is besieged at best doesn't make the case for the value of journalism, and at worse 'poisons the water' in terms of the credibility of mainstream media in the mind of the general public.

If we protect the mainstream media from criticism, the battle is already lost.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

While I will grant that Korea does not have a star in this event, and Sakoto's absence may impact the Japanese media market, I find it boggling to think that this is a 'weak' ladies line-up.

Yes, this is the one event in which the absence of the Russians makes a huge difference given that Medvedeva and Pogorilaya are always podium prospects. But the chance to see how the women sort out minus the Russians is one of the real interest points of the event.

In any event, I'm counting my blessings that I'm in Canada and will be able to catch the CBC livestream [and replays].

Here's the CBC schedule for those not geo-blocked http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

Yes, seriously :handw:this is a very weak field even compared to the line-ups of the previous two seasons' 4CC.

As the absence of Ashley and Satoko and Gracie and Mao's slump this season as well as no participation from the Russian ladies who already competed at Euros, this field is pretty much for Kaetlyn to lose. I like many of the participants here but any competition considered too predictable is not exciting to begin with. The European Ladies competition was also boring at least for me except that Anna's presence and Carolina's comeback although the Russian ladies are dominant in ladies. I will be very surprised if Kaetlyn wouldn't win although I've acknowledged that her LP consistency is not as reliable as her SP. I personally was very disappointed with Satoko's absence although she needs enough time to heal her injury before Worlds which is the most crucial event for not only her but also the federation...However we can gather a lot of fancam and report from the local audience and visitors from Japan and China on "men" via social media which is a sharp contrasting reality to the poor report on the ladies. Hanyu is a star and reigning Olympic champion and Patrick is OSM and 3-time WC, so their name values can be said huge to at least figure skating fans. Nathan/Boyang/Shoma, the young quadsters are rising starlets, so they are expected to do the event exciting regardless of their actual performances that could be splatfest. If there is a star in the current ladies' line-up, I'm sure there would've much more coverage from not only the local and Japanese TV and NBC and Eurosport as traditionally any ladies event is the most popular discipline to the general public.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Yes, seriously this is a very weak field even compared to the line-ups of the previous two seasons' 4CC.

As the absence of Ashley and Satoko and Gracie and Mao's slump this season as well, this field is pretty much for Kaetlyn to lose. I like many of the participants here but any competition considered too predictable is not exciting to begin with. The European Ladies competition was also boring at least for me except that Anna's presence and Carolina's comeback. I will be very surprised if Kaetlyn wouldn't win although I've acknowledged that her LP consistency is not as reliable as her SP.

We can agree that Kaetlyn is seeded to win this one...

But there are other markets than the US ;).....and I believe that this competition may really be a major shaking out of the ranks in the lead up to the Olympics.

And I still think American fans should be riveted to see how their up and coming women line up when they are all together at a major ISU event, where there seems to be a different sense of placement than at US nationals. Karen, Mirai, Mariah: can one not say there is a battle and a story in that........?

Ashley is frankly not the one that I've been looking for to make this an event. Regrets, but she has a ways to go to convince me that she will be top five by end of season, despite her track record as a fighter. And Gracie's story really is about next season, and it's great that she's come to terms with that and made the coaching change needed. So, knowing what Karen, Mirai and Mariah can bring to the upcoming season is a story that sports fans should want to track.

Despite Mao's global fan appeal and waning star, the question for Japan has been which of their women can rise above the pack for the future and stay there? Rika seems to have stalled, but Wakaba and Mai are showing promise. Are they dealing with URs and strong enough to be in the mix behind Sakoto: remains to be seen....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ (two posts up, in response to crossover's post)

how is this Kaetlyn's to lose when so many people are saying that she's never had 2 back to back clean programs?

Double standard much.

I personally think that the title is up for grabs. Satoko was a huge loss for the event, that's for sure. However, Gracie isn't. She had a terrible season and even if she were attending, I would predict her to be out of the top 6. Was it Ashley or Kaetlyn who made it to Grand Prix Final?

I do not think this field is weak at all. Perhaps though, fans are not discussing it as the men as there, there is a clash with the "old stars" and the young quadsters. Here, we have new stars coming up. Kaetlyn had great results a few years ago but she comes to 4CC almost as a new comer in the role of favourites... The USA are sending their brand new National champion, who also is a newcomer in that role.... Same with Wakaba who has been emerging from junior. Same with Gabby who has now refined and polished her skills, controlled her jumps and can aspire to a podium. Add to this Mirai who can be really hot at times, but has been called a lot for UR this year....
All these girls aren't weak on the ice. They are just not the typical names that come out of the bag when making a favourite's list... why? Simply because 2 or 3 of the Russian girls own those spots, + Satoko... I wouldn't say that even the silver world medalist of last year will be considered a favourite going to this year's worlds with the up and down season she has had.... and I wouldn't be surprised if 4CC confirmed one of the "newcomer" favourites in that specific role for worlds...

YMMV

Last edited:

ssffww

On the Ice
^^ (two posts up, in response to crossover's post)

how is this Kaetlyn's to lose when so many people are saying that she's never had 2 back to back clean programs?

Double standard much.

I personally think that the title is up for grabs. Satoko was a huge loss for the event, that's for sure. However, Gracie isn't. She had a terrible season and even if she were attending, I would predict her to be out of the top 6. Was it Ashley or Kaetlyn who made it to Grand Prix Final?

I do not think this field is weak at all. Perhaps though, fans are not discussing it as the men as there, there is a clash with the "old stars" and the young quadsters. Here, we have new stars coming up. Kaetlyn had great results a few years ago but she comes to 4CC almost as a new comer in the role of favourites... The USA are sending their brand new National champion, who also is a newcomer in that role.... Same with Wakaba who has been emerging from junior. Same with Gabby who has now refined and polished her skills, controlled her jumps and can aspire to a podium. Add to this Mirai who can be really hot at times, but has been called a lot for UR this year....
All these girls aren't weak on the ice. They are just not the typical names that come out of the bag when making a favourite's list... why? Simply because 2 or 3 of the Russian girls own those spots, + Satoko... I wouldn't say that even the silver world medalist of last year will be considered a favourite going to this year's worlds with the up and down season she has had.... and I wouldn't be surprised if 4CC confirmed one of the "newcomer" favourites in that specific role for worlds...

YMMV

Totally agree. Two seasons ago (2015) Polina Edmunds won the event with a final score of 184.02. I would be willing to wager we'll see several scores higher than that at this event.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I'm super excited for ladies in this event :yahoo: It's going to be fun, I REALLY don't know how podium will look like and this is what makes me so excited, finally real competition in major championship.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Totally agree. Two seasons ago (2015) Polina Edmunds won the event with a final score of 184.02. I would be willing to wager we'll see several scores higher than that at this event.

The current insane score inflation is not even comparable with the scoring trend in the 2014-15 season. We're living in a bubble era. However, your post makes me miss Polina! :) I hope to see her next season.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yes, seriously :handw:this is a very weak field even compared to the line-ups of the previous two seasons' 4CC.

Weak, as in the field? As you know, both Gracie and Mao did not qualify from their perspective countries, as they were surpassed by this current crop. Ashley bowed out for the 5th year in a row, was it because of her last performance in Asia, where she was bested by 4 of the women competing here? The field is changing with new American and Canadian champs this year, and a young and upcoming generation of exciting skaters to watch. I have no doubt that the top scores here will be impressive.

The only thing "weak" here is your argument, Crossover.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Of the men, HANYU and JIN were the 2016 silver and bronze World medalists, and CHAN and UNO were in the top 7. Since CHEN won silver in the GPF, beating the World Champion and Chan, he is the latest buzz.

Since the withdrawal of WAGNER and MIYAHARA, there are no current or former World medalists among the ladies. The highest placers at Worlds 2016 were Hongo (8th) and Daleman (9th), followed by Nagasu, Li and Tursynbaeva. Higuchi was 3rd at JW 2016 and 2015, and Mai Mihara won two JGP silvers and gold at the 2016 Nebelhorn Trophy. Osmond is immensely popular in North America and Europe, but not so much in Asia, as she has been absent from Worlds since 2014 due to injury. She was second to Radionova at CoC, 4th behind Medvedeva and Miyahara at the GPF, and 6th at 2016 4CC and 8th at 2013 4CC.

ssffww

On the Ice
The current insane score inflation is not even comparable with the scoring trend in the 2014-15 season. We're living in a bubble era. However, your post makes me miss Polina! :) I hope to see her next season.

Perhaps you're right. I'm still excited for this event.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Weak, as in the field? As you know, both Gracie and Mao did not qualify from there perspective countries, Ashley bowed out for the 5th year in a row, or was it because of her last performance in Asia? The field is changing with new American and Canadian champs this year, and a young and upcoming generation of exciting skaters to watch. I have no doubt that the top scores here will be impressive.

The only thing "weak" here is your argument, Crossover.

The field doesn't have any World medalist or GPF medalist except Mirai's medals at 4CC. I don't see any possible contender in the field to earn World medal "THIS SEASON' except Kaetlyn who could aim for a World bronze medal position in my view. Wakaba and Karen have big potentials for the future, but the new comers don't have high name powers to figure skating fans or the public YET, and you know the media chase established stars or starlets whom skating fans hype by themselves already (just think of Julia L.). I have not been impressed by the gross score inflation since Sochi and I'm only impressed by skaters' actual performance. Not to mention that the thread was very quite unlike the men's thread.

Therefore, your argument is not convincing me at all, Osmond4gold.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Not to mention that the thread was very quite unlike the men's thread.

The men's thread will probably have more pages before their event even begins, than the ladies thread will have after their comp is finished.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Nah I'm super excited abt this comp exactly b/c of no star. & unpredictability factor!
Outside of gold I was scratching my head while doing predictions & it's great that in the absence of some bigger names (miss Satoko tho:sad21:) those newcomers will be able to rise up!

+lol btw it's so great when your country not participating:laugh: like a no pressure enjoyable event

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The men's thread will probably have more pages before their event even begins, than the ladies thread will have after their comp is finished.

and also during... when everyone comments on the dresses, make up and hair ;)