2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley bowed out for the 5th year in a row, was it because of her last performance in Asia, where she was bested by 4 of the women competing here?

No. Ashley doesn't shy away from competition.

She's said in interviews that as she grew older, she found that losing training time for worlds and battling extra fatigue, jet lag, travel time all took more of a toll. That's why she has opted out of 4CC.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
No. Ashley doesn't shy away from competition.

She's said in interviews that as she grew older, she found that losing training time for worlds and battling extra fatigue, jet lag, travel time all took more of a toll. That's why she has opted out of 4CC.

I hear you skylark...but this is her 5th year in a row, doing so. Who ever thought being 20 (her first 4CC miss), would be considered as old? Especially for a late bloomer like Ashley, who did not hit her stride until her 20's.

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I still think American fans should be riveted to see how their up and coming women line up when they are all together at a major ISU event, where there seems to be a different sense of placement than at US nationals. Karen, Mirai, Mariah: can one not say there is a battle and a story in that........?

I'm baffled by how most GS posters seem to dismiss Karen, Mariah and Mirai in their discussions. And I'm perplexed by how most around here, in general, go more by calculation and how the current results and placements will be manipulated to a particular conclusion.

I think there's plenty of room for skaters to have the skate of their life moment. It takes only one or two of those to scramble the predicted and predictable results. Actually, I'm betting that Karen will continue her momentum and come in here with confidence blazing. She said in IN article she worked with sports psychologists on the confidence issue. I think Mariah could show a momentum/happiness surge too.

As for Mirai, she historically does well at 4CC. It may be a good time in the season for her, but I also think the positive atmosphere and encouragement from Japanese fans is a great benefit to her. That's true of all skaters: Jason and many other skaters have mentioned it; but with that being Mirai's heritage culture, it's like the strength and support she's gotten from her parents all her life. So I'm excited about what the US ladies will show here.

:hap57::hap10::dance3:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hear you skylark...but this is her 5th year in a row, doing so. Who ever thought being 20 (her first 4CC miss), would be considered as old? Especially for a late bloomer like Ashley, who did not hit her stride until her 20's.

Yeah.:) The way I look at it is, she knows herself and has learned to honor what she knows about herself. I mean, I more than half expected her to come to 4CC this year because of the venue. But I really respect that she stuck to her guns and chose what she believes is best for her. Also that she did it so promptly, thus giving Mirai every possible inch of prep time and motivation.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Wait a second. How can anyone make the claim that Kaetlyn Osmond is not popular in Asia? She did Stars on Ice Japan last year. She won a silver medal this very season at Cup of China. And of course people know her well from her victory over Mao at Finlandia. She has fans in Asia, not just Europe and North America.

I am curious to see how Zijun's coaching change has gone. She is such a beautiful skater.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I said is Osmond is not as popular in Asia as she is in North America/Europe. That is NOT saying Osmond is not popular in Asia.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree it is a relatively weak event, not just the absence of Russian ladies. Ashely W is not here; Gracie is not here; Satoko is not here. It is more of a event to show diversity of participants.

Seriously.....??? :rofl:

While I will grant that Korea does not have a star in this event, and Sakoto's absence may impact the Japanese media market, I find it boggling to think that this is a 'weak' ladies line-up.

Yes, this is the one event in which the absence of the Russians makes a huge difference given that Medvedeva and Pogorilaya are always podium prospects. But the chance to see how the women sort out minus the Russians is one of the real interest points of the event.

In any event, I'm counting my blessings that I'm in Canada and will be able to catch the CBC livestream [and replays].

Here's the CBC schedule for those not geo-blocked http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

mrrice

Record Breaker

Was it all the way back in 2012 that she won? I am getting so freakin' old. She won the year she did the swan program, right?

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I'm baffled by how most GS posters seem to dismiss Karen, Mariah and Mirai in their discussions. And I'm perplexed by how most around here, in general, go more by calculation and how the current results and placements will be manipulated to a particular conclusion.

I think there's plenty of room for skaters to have the skate of their life moment. It takes only one or two of those to scramble the predicted and predictable results. Actually, I'm betting that Karen will continue her momentum and come in here with confidence blazing. She said in IN article she worked with sports psychologists on the confidence issue. I think Mariah could show a momentum/happiness surge too.

As for Mirai, she historically does well at 4CC. It may be a good time in the season for her, but I also think the positive atmosphere and encouragement from Japanese fans is a great benefit to her. That's true of all skaters: Jason and many other skaters have mentioned it; but with that being Mirai's heritage culture, it's like the strength and support she's gotten from her parents all her life. So I'm excited about what the US ladies will show here.

:hap57::hap10::dance3:

I agree! I have seen Karen in particular placed really low in predictions for this event. I find that hard to swallow when she now has the backing of the USFSA as a national champion. She is a lovey skater with great tech and great performance ability. With confidence and momentum she could at least get silver here if not possibly win the event.

Also Miriah is riding a wave of excitement, she could have the event of her career so far here. And I never count Mirai out.

It's judt baffling for me to see Karen so low on predictions.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I agree! I have seen Karen in particular placed really low in predictions for this event. I find that hard to swallow when she now has the backing of the USFSA as a national champion. She is a lovey skater with great tech and great performance ability. With confidence and momentum she could at least get silver here if not possibly win the event.

Also Miriah is riding a wave of excitement, she could have the event of her career so far here. And I never count Mirai out.

It's judt baffling for me to see Karen so low on predictions.

Well the US title did not seem to help Tarah and Danny much. Who knows how the judges will respond to Karen and how she will be perceived against Mariah and Mirai.

What I am wondering is if with all the quadcitment in the mens field... will Elizabet Tursynbayeva bust out her 4S to try to join in the fun.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Karen needs competitive consistency which is why, she did not make my list. One competition does not a skater make. Plus, did you watch the practice sessions skylark...?

I placed Mirai, who has been skating well in practices, in front of both US women.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Karen needs competitive consistency which is why, she did not make my list. One competition does not a skater make. Plus, did you watched the practice sessions...?

I placed Mirai, who has been skating well in practices, in front of both US ladies.

Karen has had an overall pretty great season and has been underscored internationally in my opinion for too long. I was excited to see her get what I feel she deserved at nationals. I watched the practices but I didn't feel they told me much to help my predictions. Everyone I saw seemed to be maintaining not seriously going for their program runthroughs.

Besides there are many girls who had bad competition after bad competition then somehow after one good one are elevated to the top. Momentum is interesting because for some reason it doesn't apply the same across disciplines and country lines.

I wouldn't place Mirai in front due to how mucb of a roller coaster I have been on with her his season.

hohoho

On the Ice
From the practices I have seen, Kaetlyn seems to be the most relaxed and confident. From the rink, I saw a lot of UR from Karen, Mirai, Li, Chartrand. Gabby was struggling with her 3lz yesterday but seemed to sort it out. From the practices I would say Kaetlyn, Gabby, and Mirai.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
From the practices I have seen, Kaetlyn seems to be the most relaxed and confident. From the rink, I saw a lot of UR from Karen, Mirai, Li, Chartrand. Gabby was struggling with her 3lz yesterday but seemed to sort it out. From the practices I would say Kaetlyn, Gabby, and Mirai.

From practices at nationals I had Mirai on the podium all the way. I also didn't have Karen at the top of my podium (despite dreaming that someday she'd get there) practice is not scompetition.

Besides that Karen only really underrotates the second jump of her combos not individual jumps, and even that has been getting much better.

hohoho

On the Ice
I agree practice and competition are totally different. Just giving my perspective from the rink

I don't know how anyone can say that this is not exciting. Osmond can be challenged by both of the other Canadians, by all three Japanese, don't forget the ever-popular Tursynbaeva and Zijn Li and the Koreans, and that doesn't even mention the Americans. Kaetlyn will have to bring it to live up to her front-runner status. :yes:

I am a lot more confident in guessing at the scores for the men than for the ladies.