2017 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs SP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Totally happy to see the Knierims back in action. No matter how they get on, overcoming stuff they had to deal with and competing in a major international competition again is quite something. The very, very best of luck to them.
Sui/Han...yes, wow... I'm very curious to see what they come up with.
Meagan & Eric: When they're in top form, they are thrilling. Hope they are and nail it, given the bad luck they had last year.
Talking about last year, I keep thinking about that little guitar number interims music they had when they played back the performance...:laugh:

It's gonna be great to see the Knierams and Sui/Han again. It's been a long road back for both pairs!...That little guitar ditty is being used here on TV for a furniture commercial. I can't get it out of my head! :laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
How hard is it to take blades on and and off the boot? Could a skater put their blades in the checked bags and take the boots only as carry on? Seems that getting new blades on site could be easier than getting workable boots and i wonder how much of a hassle this must be that it is not normally done... it seems a fair compromise in my non-skater eyes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How hard is it to take blades on and and off the boot? Could a skater put their blades in the checked bags and take the boots only as carry on? Seems that getting new blades on site could be easier than getting workable boots and i wonder how much of a hassle this must be that it is not normally done... it seems a fair compromise in my non-skater eyes.

It's not a great idea to unmount and remount constantly. You'd be wearing out the holes in the soles of the boot, and even the slightest difference in mounting can really throw you off. I've had mounting problems in the past as a skater of my level; these guys must feel it even more.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I checked out Sui/Han's LP music on Youtube and didn't like it all. The melody is so bland (almost put me to sleep) and it is vocal all over. I am worried.

Sui and Han!

They are what I've expected to see the most from the event as they should skip the Grand Prix series due to Wenjing's injury. I really hope the event will be as good as the dynamic and exciting pair event at Euros. :) Their revealed SP is a work of art, so I'm really looking forward to seeing their unveiled LP!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Still sad that Castilli and Tran haven't been given this opportunity, even as first alternates...

Seems a little late for such s message to be delivered....why include them as a host pick at Skate America 2016 if they don't feel they are able to represent the US despite being national silver medalists?

Why not include them as a host pick at Skate America, which took place in October 2016 btw? At Skate America, C/T started out great in the sp, then experienced a fluke mistake on a lift and fell apart.

C/T had the opportunity to win U.S. Nationals, but they didn't. I too felt C/T should have gone to 4CCs, but I had expected S-K/K to come back for Worlds and allow the top 3 at U.S. Nationals to attend 4CCs. I understand why S-K/K (if considered ready) were sent to 4CCs in order to give them a chance to perform prior to Worlds. Unfortunately, C/T despite their huge talent have disappointed too often. If they can't show more confidence and improvement technically, I can understand why they were overlooked for 4CCs. C/L have shown more steady improvement in a short period of time and C/L also came in first in U.S. Nats sp, while C/T were fourth. The overall difference in points between these two teams at U.S. Nats was minimal re final second and third placements. If C/T had landed their sbs in either or both programs or made a better case for themselves by winning with a clean fp skate, then I would be more upset for them. I do think C/T should have been given the first alternate spot for Worlds.

At this point, C/T need to figure out how they are going to respond to the cards they've been dealt.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
thank God Meagan has her skates in place!

and generally I'm very excited for this event, especially for the return of Alexa with Chris and Wenjing with Cong - hope they will have a blast comeback there, taking things slowly though. But I'm hungry for 'big' skating from them at the same time :laugh: (to much time not seeing them at competitions I think)

And I do wish badly for a great outing for Lubov and Dylan - I just LOVE their work this season, their chemistry together! :love:

QuadThrow

Medalist
I am really impressed by the entry list.

D/R, Y/Z and S/H are the favorits. And these pairs will be top competitors at worlds, too.

In additon I/M, P/J and S/K are in the game. What a competition is this turing out to be!

During the first half of the season pairs was quite disapponting but now this is the most dynamic discipline without a clear favourit.

Let us add S/M, T/M and S/K at worlds and we there will be at least 6 top pairs fighting for the medals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i find it funny when people think pairs are disappointing throughout the season and then get excited at bigger championships ;)

fine, this year was special... many injuries.. more than usually... fair enough..

BUT the reality is that with about maybe 6 GREAT pairs + 6 VERY good pairs spread out during the GP season, it's normal that when watching 8-10 pairs, if only 2 or 3 are from the real elite, that the rest is disappointing. However, when you put them all together, the Chinese, Canadians, Russians, Germans... and even the exciting French, pairs is a great discipline... just not so much in the fall ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm hoping for a Team Australia surprise ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Alexa and Chris looked very composed and calm at practice which is impressive.

I wonder about any possibility for US pairs to obtain 3 spots at Worlds for PyeongChang.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, curses. Start order is up and they skate second. No way am I going to get to watch that live.

I'll be relying on you, GS...

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Oh, curses. Start order is up and they skate second. No way am I going to get to watch that live.

I'll be relying on you, GS...

South Korea is only 2 hours behind Australia (EST). The pairs' short program starts at 2.15pm which would make that 4.15pm in Australia.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am more excited about this than anything else this year. Especially because their programs sounds beautiful and full of grace this year. After everything they have been through together it makes you appreciate things and grow so much. They already skate huge I have a feeling this has added a grace unseen from them yet. So curious too. Can't wait!!
Also was so disappointed about Nationals. Would be nice to see D/F have improved cheated Sal and jumps. Rather see a fall then a cheat or foot down from Branden and pops from Haven. Still not sure her leg is ok? It is so straight on landings no bend at all scares me. Would be nice to see C/L maintain.
I feel like watching s-k/K will be something beyond though beyond what the USA has seen in decades. I don't think a married USA Pair team has competed in IJS top competitions ever? Not sure though??

I think you're forgetting about Jenni Meno and Todd Sand. Married couple and world Silver medalists.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I think you're forgetting about Jenni Meno and Todd Sand. Married couple and world Silver medalists.

I didn't forget I wasn't sure. I also made sure to point out IJS SYSTEM and Worlds in 96/97 was IJS? I didn't think so. So in the IJS top system in top competition not sure there is a married team that has competed still for the US in this system at this level? It is pretty difficult to do no disrespect to skaters of the 6.0 system decades ago but pair skating has changed a lot.. Any US pair team that stays together is a huge benefit for the US. Although I don't think S-K/K have been together 5 years yet so as long as all the teams keep improving and they stay together we have some chances married or not.