2017 Four Continents Short Dance | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Short Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
Gangneung, South Korea
Feb. 14-19, 2017

The short dance will be at 11:00 on Thursday, Feb. 16. (time zones)

Start order -- http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/fc2017/SEG007.HTM

ENTRIES (16)

SkatersNationSeason's best score (ISU SB Ranking) *Non ISU Season's Best (Event)
Matilda FRIEND/William BADAOUI
SD: Real Hip Hop instrumental by Scovery D; Skyfall by Adele
FD: It's so Overt it's Covert (Sherlock Holmes Soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
AUS80.32 (#133 JGP Yokohama); 108.06* (Open D'Andorra)
Kimberly HEW-LOW/Timothy MCKERNAN
SD: Flashing Lights by Kanye West; Famous by Kanye West
FD: The Verdict by Ennoi Morricone, Green Leaves of Summer by Nick Perito and Rabbia e Tarantella by Ennio Morricone
AUS112.46 (#99 Golden Spin)
Adele MORRISON/Demid ROKACHEV
SD: Mustang Sally by Mack Rice, Land of 1,000 Dances by Chris Kenner
FD: Song for the Little Sparrow by Abel Korzeniowski, Dracula Untold Prologue by Ramin Djawadi, Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Chris Hughes, Ian Stanley, Roland Orzabal
AUS108.81* (Open D'Andorra)
Piper GILLES/Paul POIRIERSD Blues: Oh What a Night for Dancing by Barry White, Vance Wilson, Disco: Disco Inferno by Leroy Green and Ron Kersey; choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razguliaevs
FD Argentine Tango: " Con Buena Onda by Daniel Lomuto, Ernesto Baffa, Hector M. Arce;" choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razguliaevs
CAN182.54 (#8 Skate Canada)
Tessa VIRTUE/Scott MOIRSD Prince medley, including "5 Women," "Purple Rain" and "Kiss;" choreo by David Wilson, M.-F. Dubreuil, S. Choinard
FD Pilgrims on a Long Journey by Coeur de Pirate, Latch (Acoustic) by Sam Smith; choreo by David Wilson, M.-F. Dubreuil, S. Choinard
CAN197.22 (#1 Grand Prix Final)
Kaitlyn WEAVER/Andrew PojeSD Blues: The Way You Make Me Feel by Judith Hill, Hip Hop: Dangerous by Michael Jackson, Hip Hop: Jam by Michael Jackson; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
FD Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
CAN181.54 (#9 Cup of China)
Hong CHEN/Yan ZHAO
SD Mon mec a moi performed by Patricia Kaas, Pigalle performed by Patricia Kaas; choreo by Alexander Zhulin, Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
FD Un peu plus haut performed by Lisa Angel, Thunder and Lightening performed by Ezio Bosso, Charms (W.E. soundtrack) by Abel Korzeniowski; choreo by Alexander Zhulin, Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
CHN117.92 (#91 Cup of China)
Linshu SONG/Zhuoming SUN
SD: Hello performed by Beyonce, Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) performed by Beyonce
CHN130.90 (#63 Cup of China)
Shiyue WANG/Xinyu LUSD Blues by Gary Moore, Swing; choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
FD "New York, New York" by Ralph Burns; choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
CHN149.80 (#34 Cup of China)
Emi HIRAI/Marien DE LA ASUNCION
SD Blues: I Just Want to Love by Etta James, Swing: Puttin' On the Ritz by Irving Berlin; choreo by Diana Ribas
FD Kiss by Prince, Purple Rain by Prince, U Got the Look; choreo by Diana Ribas
JPN120.35 (#86 NHK Trophy)
Kana MURAKAMO/Chris REEDSD a medley of Ray Charles songs, including Blues: The Sun's Gonna Shine Again by Ray Charles, Jive: I've Got a Woman by Ray Charles, Swing: Mess Around by Ray Charles" choreo by Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
FD Poeta en el Puerto by Vincente Amigo, Amor Dulce Muerte by Vincente Amigo, Nada Puede Dormir by Vincente Amigo, Poeta en el Viento by Vincente Amigo; choreo by Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
JPN151.18 (#36 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic)
Ho Jung LEE/Richard Kang Im KIM
SD Creep by Post Modern Jukebox, That Man by Carol Emerald
FD Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
KOR129.30* (Open D'Andorra)
Yura MIN/Alexander GAMELIN
SD Blues: "Your Heart is as Black as Night" by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa, and Hip Hop: "I Am the Best x Bang Bang Bang" by 2NE1 & Big Bang; choreo by Igor Shpilband
FD Cinema Paradiso soundtrack by Ennio Morricone: "Cinema in flamme" and "Runaway, Search and Run;" and "Love Theme for Nata;" choreo by Igor Shpilband
KOR151.35 (#35 Tallinn Trophy)
Madison CHOCK/Evan BATES
SD Blues: "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood, Hip Hop: "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars; choreo by Rohene Ward
FD "Under Pressure" performed by Freddie Mercury and David Bowie; choreo by Christopher Dean
USA188.24 (#4 Skate Canada)
Madison HUBBELL/Zachary DONOHUESD Blues: "Feelin' Good" by Nina Simone; Hip Hop: "Hammer Time (Can't Touch This)" by MC Hammer
"Push It," by Salt N Pepa, "Ice, Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot; "Apache (Jump On It)" by Sugarhill Gang; and "Turn Down for What" by DJ Snake & Lil Jon;. choreo. by Samuel Chouinard
FD Love Medley by various artists: "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," performed by Bootstraps, "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You," performed by Ingrid Michaelson, "Earned It," by Bootstraps; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil
USA179.59 (#11 Grand Prix Final)
Maia SHIBUTANI/Alex SHIBUTANI
SD That's Life, performed by Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z; choreo by Hokuto Konishi, Aye Hasegawa, Serge Onik, Marina Zoueva, Massimo Scali
FD Evolution by various artists; choreo by Peter Tchernyshev
USA189.60 (#3 Grand Prix Final)

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'll be interested to see how the North American teams stack up here. I think V/M are the clear favourites, but I'm curious what the order will end up being with the other five going into Worlds.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
I'll be interested to see how the North American teams stack up here. I think V/M are the clear favourites, but I'm curious what the order will end up being with the other five going into Worlds.

If I had to take a guess... 1. VM 2. Shibs 3. Chock/Bates 4. Weaver/Poje 5. Hubbell/Donohue 6. Gilles/Poirier

That being said, I feel like 2-4 could easily switch around if there are mistakes made. Same goes for 5-6.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If I had to take a guess... 1. VM 2. Shibs 3. Chock/Bates 4. Weaver/Poje 5. Hubbell/Donohue 6. Gilles/Poirier

That being said, I feel like 2-4 could easily switch around if there are mistakes made. Same goes for 5-6.

That's probably what I'll end up putting for my predictions, but I'm more curious as to whether it will actually turn out like that because as you said, there's a lot of room for movement in there.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Even though it is almost certain that the Australian Dance teams will rank at/near the bottom of the pack, I am really happy to see my country having three dance teams compete.

TGee

Record Breaker
Even though it is almost certain that the Australian Dance teams will rank at/near the bottom of the pack, I am really happy to see my country having three dance teams compete.

I'm not sure that folks appreciate the achievement in getting 3 teams that have met the TES minimum for both the short and long programs.

Sackie

Medalist
It will be interesting to see where W/P end up. If they do end up 4th here then once you add in the 3 medalist from Euros - they are looking at 7th or 8 placement at worlds!
Also interesting to see if G/P can bounce back overtop of H/D now that H/D made it to the GPF ahead of them.

The depth in Ice Dance is pretty amazing at the moment! When you consider there are currently 3 former world Champs, and 7 former world medalist all in the running - not to mention a couple up and coming teams such as G/P and H/D!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It will be interesting to see where W/P end up. If they do end up 4th here then once you add in the 3 medalist from Euros - they are looking at 7th or 8 placement at worlds!
Also interesting to see if G/P can bounce back overtop of H/D now that H/D made it to the GPF ahead of them.

The depth in Ice Dance is pretty amazing at the moment! When you consider there are currently 3 former world Champs, and 7 former world medalist all in the running - not to mention a couple up and coming teams such as G/P and H/D!

You simplify it too much. From European teams only P/C are out of reach for them at this moment. I can see W/P beating both C/L and B/S at Worlds. C/L had even worse GP draw than W/P, and both times they competed against V/M, resulting in not so great places, so internationally they didn't leave strong impression on judges (ourside of Europe, I mean). But I'm conflicted because I love both G/P and W/P and I'd love to see both of these teams on podium and that's simply impossible...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Plus all three have cool programs. So we get to show the world that. :cool:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I really, really hope I'll be able to watch this live. The SD for Ice Dance is my favourite segment this year. Pairs is still my favourite discipline.

I'd say V/M and then the Shibs and I'd say probably Chock and Bates (Who I think I agreed to call Earl Grey Tea at some point). Would love, love, love to see W/P or G/P get in there for a medal.

I would say it's going to hard for any team to top V/M no touch step sequence in the SD this year. It seems to be killing it with the judges.

Level 4 twizzles for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing the aussies skate because I think I've only seen one of them this season.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
it will be sure an interesting competition...

IF clean, I think Tessa and Scott, Maia and Alex to follow, third - could be decided by very little PCS difference based on draw...

BUT if there will be mishaps, all is possible in top 6.

Curious if Tessa and Scott will maintain their impressive consistency in execution.

Even more curious what dynamics will be between US top 2 teams - based on Nationals, Maia and Alex has to amp their FD a bit to hold off Madison and Evan AND Canadian contingent.

Then, interesting to see indeed where WeaPo will land at the end - :drama: about their equal capability to get a medal and land 6th...

I think Chock and Bates have great potential to contend for second.

4everchan is laughing at the possibility of an all Canadian podium, but stranger things have happened. Go Gilles and Poirier! :yes:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Agree. I also think that opposed to last year scenario this year it could be CAN, CAN, US on podium. But really, I think it's only sure that V/M will be on podium. Nothing else.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Agree. I also think that opposed to last year scenario this year it could be CAN, CAN, US on podium. But really, I think it's only sure that V/M will be on podium. Nothing else.

if they'll maintain their rock solid consistency, then yes, but the rest is just tough, Chock/Bates have some up/down season, WeaPo are still transitioning I feel, Shibutanis - in December I'd say the are locked at least for silver, now I'm really not sure. PSquared and Hubbell/Donohue are a bit wild cards - all depends on their execution and how others will do

NUTS:drama:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Anything can happen. V&M and P&C are the only ones to bring in scores above 113 in the FD internationally this season. If those teams go clean, they are the favorites.

But the level 4 footwork sequences remain largely untapped and not unthinkable.

As Cappellini & Lanotte demonstrated at Europeans, Chock & Bates demonstrated at Skate Canada, and the Shibs demonstrated at the GPF, level 4 footwork sequences can change the game. You start hitting those level 4's, and you can upset the applecart.

Last season, seven dance teams had straight level fours in the FD at Worlds: Papadakis & Cizeron, Maia & Alex Shibutani, Chock & Bates, Cappellini & Lanotte, Hubbell & Donahue, Coomes & Buckland, and Guignard & Fabbri.

Every single team at this year's European Championships changed places during the competition. The battle for this season isn't over until it's over.

Last edited:

KMK0902

On the Ice
I think V/M are just about guaranteed the Gold; after them I would love, love, love to see W/P. I believe the Shibs are the best US team so I'll have them in third.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm going to say V/M then S/S and then C/B. I would love for W/P, G/P or H/D to get in there for a medal but I'm going with the safest bet because that's how ID usually goes and I'm lazy.

If I were to rank them in the SD by personal preference (not quality of skating, just what I like personally) I would say:
1. G/P (It's just so fun and different and spunky)
2. V/M (I think my favourite FS related music thing this year is the cut from five women into Purple Rain. It's almost seemless to ear and makes me squee with happiness)
3 S/S (and this is because everytime I hear that line about one song and one song only I kind of want to cheer a little bit)
4. W/P (I love them and I think this shows promise but they have to get those twizzles)
5. C/B (I like the uptown funk part but not the bad to the bone part)
6. H/D (I just can't with the music edits in the hiphop section. I give them some marks for not using the Michel Buble version of Feeling Good)

For the FD:
1. G/P (I love tangos so they start with a leg up here and I just really enjoy this dance)
2. V/M (I prefer my V/M more in the carmen, hip-hip-chin-chin mode but this is starting to grow on me as a piece)
3. H/D (I really do like the music they chose and it seems quite emotional and tender)
4. W/P (growing on me and I like that it is dark and moody)
5. S/S (I don't get this FD. I know a lot of you like it and I'm trying but.. on the other hand it's always well skated.)
6. C/B (this has not grown on me, unfortunately)

I feel badly about the C/B downgrade but I don't like their material this year.

I'm really really hoping I'll be able to watch some of the SD. I know I'll miss a lot of 4CC because of a death in the family and funeral, visitation commitments.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It really doesn't matter what we think. But I really do hope WP isn't the team that gets dumped but on the bigger scene Weapo or C/L are the teams most likely to get dumped. Though imho Chock and Bates have looked vulnerable and a bit up and down. I don't think B/S will really be fully dumped as they are Russia No. 1. I do feel for WEapo though they were so close to a world gold and then won two GP finals and couldn't capitalize. we know V and M are better right now. G/P have looked so good and innovative and could bump them. They need some goodmaterial or at least take what they have this year and skate clean and really sell it.
I know they don't have much choice in coaches and they are trying tos ell Morosov is the right choice but it seems desperation. Shipiland, Zueva, Dubreil and Lauzon (not sure why he is sort of always forgotten) et al are too busy so it really is Krylova and Carmelango as Linichuk, Zhulin et al are too 6.0 in teaching