Will TSN/CTV broadcast the Exhibition Gala? | Golden Skate

Will TSN/CTV broadcast the Exhibition Gala?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't seem to find anything on the schedule. :scratch2:

TGee

Record Breaker
I can't seem to find anything on the schedule. :scratch2:

I was wondering the same....but I think not.

When I think back to when I was at nationals a few years back, the cameras were gone for the exhibition on Sunday....which is sad....

I suspect Skate Canada is finding it hard to justify paying a crew just to stream the gala on Sunday, but the galas really are part of what promotes the sport....and I don't think broadcasting them would reduce ticket sales for Stars on Ice...quite the opposite actually....

But wonder why CTV thinks a delayed broadcast on the gala won't get the ratings to be worth it....?

CBC seems to find the economics of broadcasting the GPF gala viable, so why not Nationals on CTV...

But this just seems to be all a part of the antediluvian broadcast rights agreement that gives CTV/TSN rights for Skate Canada International and Nationals....

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I believe last year they did broadcast the gala, but a week or more late and on one of the higher numbered TSNs (4 or 5) that I don't receive. It might be the same this year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the gala was imho a snoozefest :) there were only 3 or 4 exciting performances... i think all the skaters were drained after the tense weekend... or perhaps i was the exhausted one LOL... in any case, it's not the biggest loss ever

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
the gala was imho a snoozefest :) there were only 3 or 4 exciting performances... i think all the skaters were drained after the tense weekend... or perhaps i was the exhausted one LOL... in any case, it's not the biggest loss ever

I used to like the gala better than the competition. Then, after going to a live competition and starting to watch live streams, I realized that it was the lack of commentary that made me like the galas. Now I prefer competition with no or minimal commentary by a landslide.

I also dislike gala programs that are all concept, no skating. Like Javi's exercise one, or Moore-Towers Moskovitcz one with the cell phone. After seeing them once, I skip a second viewing.

ETA: I also hate the gala lighting; sometimes you can barely see the skaters. Either it's too dark or there is excessive glare.

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
Just saw this on SkateCanada's twitter account:

Don’t miss the #CTNSC17 Exhibition Gala on TSN 4 at 2:30pm ET tomorrow!

So it seems like they will be broadcasting the gala after all. I agree that not all performances were top notch, but those that were, were totally worth seeing :love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just saw this on SkateCanada's twitter account:

So it seems like they will be broadcasting the gala after all. I agree that not all performances were top notch, but those that were, were totally worth seeing :love:

alaine, gabby and weapo... :) totally worth watching... and of course elladj like always

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
The gala was on TSN. I watched it. I also watched the European Gala aswell.. is it just me or does everyone gala performance suck this year? Wow how boring were most of them? Nic Nadeau.. Elladj Balde , Medvedeva etc.. all gala performance much below the level that I was expecting.