What's your top 5? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
5 is not enough! I enjoyed a lot of programs here.

1. Deniss Vasiljevs of course :) Especially his LP
2. Moris Kvitelashvili both programs
3. James/Cipres both programs
4. Ivett Toth both programs
5. Maxim Kovtun SP

+ Laurine Lecavalier, Anna, Evgenia, S/K, T/M SP, Duskova/Bidar, & probably a few others I'm forgetting

LadyB

Record Breaker
Fantastic championships, 5 is definitely not enough!
In no particular order:
1. Max Kovtun pulls it off
2. Moris Kvitelashvili a breath of fresh air
3. The entire pairs FS event
4. Duskova/Bidar's debut at seniors
5. Laurine's change of dress
6. Evgenia...because she can!
7. Bobrova/Soloviev
8. Cappellini/Lanotte
9. Stolbova/Klimov's gala performance

I'm sure, I'm forgetting some others that are worth mentioning, however, a very, very big shout out to the audience, which was abslutely wonderful :ghug:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
1. James / Cipres Free Skate - they skated lights out and gave me chills! They're gold medallists in my heart.
2. Papadakis / Cizeron Free Skate
3. Maxim Kovtun - for skating two almost-clean programs and delivering after many crossed him off.
4. Anna Pogorilaya - gritty 2nd half of Free Skate.
5. Laurine Lecavaillier change of dress during Free Skate.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
In no particular order:

Vanessa and Morgan's FS
Evgenia's SP&FS
Javier's SP
Anna and Luca's FD
Aliona and Bruno's FS
And sorry but I have to include Laurine's SP, it was beautiful

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
The top four teams plus Anna/Martin in the pairs FS. :laugh: The final group in the pairs FS was the most exciting competition at Euros, imo, and among the best pairs competition I've ever seen.

HM: Anna P and Evgenia both programs, Laurine SP, Deniss FS, Anna/Martin SP. Also, while Kolyada is my favorite of the Russian men and I'm happy he medaled, it was great to see Kovtun putting together two solid performances after the disastrous skates he's had.

Last edited:

gladiolusc

Medalist
In no particular order

Papadakis/Cizeron FD
Maxim Kovtun SP
Deniss Vasiljevs SP & LP
Laurine Lecavelier SP
James/Cipres SP

(The fight and thought in Anna Pogorilaya LP!!)

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
1 Bobrova/Soloviev SD
2 J/C both
3 T/M both
4 Moris SD
5 SinKats SD

also Caro & team Mishin, Zhenia trolling, D/B debut on home soil, Hendrix family, TAT screams, Laurine being all french elegance, Kovtun trolling me

lady_bee

Medalist
I can't pick up 5, since I haven't seen most of this event; however, I just want say we should put Papadakis / Cizeron into the art museum, especially their FD:love:.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
definitely can't pick only 5 programs/stories, so sue me:p

- Vanessa and Morgan whole outing - everything finally clicked for them: technical confidence and succeeding in elements, fantastic performance qualities and rewarding from judges (more or less accurate). Both programs are amazing and were exceptionally performed, from amazing costumes, music they're feeling and interpret amazingly, creative, unique choreography and their explosive chemistry.

- Anna Pogorilaya silver - so, so happy that she yet again proved her strength, guts, grit and fighting spirit and they way she showed who is the real no.2 right now in Russia. Two great performances, full of emotions, bonus for instant 3T addition in FS (mentality of true champion!), amazing, mature presence, impactful skating, mesmerizing looks and that meme-worthy Tsareva's 'meh' reaction after FS - priceless!

- Charlene and Marco SD - a real highlight in SD for me, hands down! They really stepped up this year performance-wise, sticking with what they're doing best - entertaining - is paying off. Great to see them with good, solid package this year, improved a lot in terms of coverage, edge work and transitions. They skated lights out of that 'Grease' SD: fantastic balance in that program, so in character, great timing and musicality, impactful presence. Really heartbroken for them regarding that FD...Hopefully they are both okay and will bounce back stronger than ever!!!

- Aliona and Bruno FS - this is one of the most extraordinary programs I've ever seen, combining such soft lyricism with power and strength. It was great to see it skated cleanly, even with tech toned down, but performance-wise - top notch, hands down. That ending, their reaction - it got me really teary...

- Laurine - ecstatic to see her maintaining consistency and power since TdF, great, great set of programs this year, showing off her versality and ability to interpret beautifully both lyrical/modern and pop pieces. That combo in FS was NUTS, presentation was great, very engaging, audience loved her. And ofc kudo to great choreo from Fabian, dance influence is definitely visible in Laurine's skating! And brownie points for that costume change!

- overall pairs competition - so many good performances, top 4 really stepping up their game!

- Czech audience and Tomas Verner as host - so, so much love to all attending for creating such electrifying atmosphere and big kudos for Tomas for handling all skaters so well! Clapping and posters game was spot on!

- Hendrickx siblings slaying their game - both Loena and Jorik did exceptionally well, so good to see them having good attitude, solid feel around them!

- Kovtun A game out of the blue - as corny and tacky in expression/performance he can be, he really did great, proving that he's still in the game. Great, big jumps, good to see him holding his nerve and not going into his head. And he really improved since going under Inna, she's my hero!

- Carolina slaying her game in comeback - no other skater like her, that airy, quality feel, being so easy on eyes in truly unmatched, her EX stole my heart...

- collective mention for Moris, Mikhail, Deniss - for holding themselves strong and producing great performances, all showed so much promise and for me it's impossible not to like them!

- collective mention for Isabella and Ilya, Natalia and Maxim and Bukins - I really enjoyed all 3 teams (lol for Bukins as I'm not a big fan, but their chemistry is growing)!

honourable mentions for Javier's sexy scruff, hot catsuits queens: Isabella, Vanessa, Kavita, so many new great EX programs!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As always my favourite part of the Europeans was sharing it with you guys. This time it a largely European crowd with few Canadians (more Americans) so the flavour was different than other times. If the Canadian nationals thread was poutine, beavertails and beer, this was more good cheese, fine wine and borscht.

Having said that I missed the Short Dance and all of Pairs so my top five reflects that:

1. Moris from Georgia. What a find.
2. Jorik's and Deniss great event.
3. Carolina's return to major competition.
4. Team Poland's Dirty Dance.
5. J/C's LP because I did watch that on Youtube.

Also big bouquets of roses to team Russia: 6 medals, 2 Golds, 2 Silvers, 2 Bronze. Excellent showing.

And the Czech crowd. Really wonderfully supportive.

Last edited:

euroskate

Final Flight
1) savchenko massot LP
2) Kostner LP
3) Fernandez SP

and beside the medalists

4) vasiliev LP
5) Toth both SP and LP

QuadThrow

Medalist
This Euros were definitly the best I have ever seen.

Pairs were outstanding.

1. S/M LP. Another chapter for Queen Aljona
2. Javier SP.
3. Carolina LP.
4. P/C LP.
5. T/M SP.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
As always my favourite part of the Europeans was sharing it with you guys. This time it a largely European crowd with few Canadians (more Americans) so the flavour was different than other times. If the Canadian nationals thread was poutine, beavertails and beer, this was more good cheese, fine wine and borscht.

Having said that I missed the Short Dance and all of Pairs so my top five reflects that:

Also big bouquets of roses to team Russia: 6 medals, 2 Golds, 2 Silvers, 2 Bronze. Excellent showing.

hi:), what Euros would it be without you and dog stories? :laugh:

then, really good to see Polish '/dirty Dancing' speaking so loud to audience:cheer:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Carolina back

happy for Kovtun

pairs competition

the audience

and of course great efforts from many more :party2:

desertskates

Medalist
1. A big yay! for the Czech crowd and competition organizers. I had a couple of friends in that audience, and they had a fantastic time!
2. James / Cipres both programs
3. Anna's grit and determination in her long
4. The return of Caro. She's got a way to go yet technically, but she's been sorely missed.
5. Duskova / Bidar and their successful first senior outing. They have such wonderful potential, and I look forward to watching them grow.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Borscht (barszcz) is typical for Polish cuisine :D For Czech Republic it would be knedliky. But on the other hand there are plenty of Poles living in Ostrava (Polish minorty) and there were lots of Polish fans who attended that event.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Actually not such a big surprise... I'd say it like "Moris from Moscow, training at Tutberidze's since long ago, relatively late bloomer so chose to skate for Georgia, finally starting to show his goods." :)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
In no particular order

Savchenko and Massot every time they were on ice (that FS!!)
Carolina Kostner ditto
Javi's SP finally coming together
Deniss Vasiljevs!
Laurine Lecavalier!

Biggest disppointment was probably the dance comp where I kept falling asleep until Papadakis and Cizeron came on. Women overall not quite as good as last year, men were slightly better even though the number of SBs was minimal, pairs was the most amazing part and I don't even like pairs that much ;)

The ticket price policy paid off and the arena was more or less full on most evenings and the crowds were good even during the mid-week afternoon competitions. A big plus for that! But a minus for the arena that did not really work that well for long competitions with close to capacity crowds - it was nearly impossible to get any food/drink or even go to the toilet during resurfacing breaks without losing a skater or two in the process.

E

voolfee

On the Ice
1. Evgenia Medvedeva LP
2. James / Cipres LP
3. Tarasova / Morozov SP
4. Deniss Vasiljevs LP
5. Loena Hendrickx LP