2017 Worlds Entries | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What other weird decisions have they made?

Sending Peng/Zhang last year instead of Yu/Jin while Yu/Jin had better season. And they lost third spot in Pairs as result... That's my opinion of course, that it was weird.

shyne

Final Flight
Sending Peng/Zhang last year instead of Yu/Jin while Yu/Jin had better season. And they lost third spot in Pairs as result... That's my opinion of course, that it was weird.

NoNo, it's not sending Peng/Zhang instead of Yu/Jin, it's sending Wang/Wang instead of Yu/Jin, which does not make any sense.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If a fed sends 2 skaters to Worlds and one of them doesn't make it to the free skate but the other wins the gold medal, how many spot(s) does this fed get for next year? What if the skater comes in second or third?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At this point with all the switch-outs it almost feels like the Chinese Fed is just trying to remind its skaters of their power. "Don't do anything we don't like. We can change your assignment last minute. We will trap you and force you to change partners."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
At this point with all the switch-outs it almost feels like the Chinese Fed is just trying to remind its skaters of their power. "Don't do anything we don't like. We can change your assignment last minute. We will trap you and force you to change partners."

No one is trapped and no partners are changed. Han Yan had to withdraw because of his broken shoulder. Zijun stopped training on her own and reportedly asked to be released but was kept in the team in the substitute position pending resolution of the situation. She is the best Chinese Lady and of course the feds wants her to go to Worlds. Speculations based on her cryptic messages theorized she felt she would be left out of the Olympics and so she boycotted. In any case, she is going to compete at Worlds 2017 as she should.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
If a fed sends 2 skaters to Worlds and one of them doesn't make it to the free skate but the other wins the gold medal, how many spot(s) does this fed get for next year? What if the skater comes in second or third?

Same rules as always. Both skaters count, even if one wins and the other doesn't make the FS. The non-FS-qualifying skater would get 18 placement points, and the other would get points equal to their placement (so, 19 total if one wins/one nonqualifies, 20 if silver, 21 if bronze, etc). The only way a team would lose the second assignment if one skater doesn't qualify and one does, is if the qualifying skater places 11th or lower.

For example, at Junior Worlds last year, Daniel Samohin won but Mark Gorodnitsky didn't make it out of the SP. Israel therefore had 19 total placement points, maintaining 2 spots. If Gorodnitsky hadn't been sent, Samohin's 1st would have earned 3 spots for Israel.

(BTW the rules are summarized in the 2018 Olympics/Worlds spots thread if you need a reference and don't want to go look up the official Rules PDF)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Same rules as always. Both skaters count, even if one wins and the other doesn't make the FS. The non-FS-qualifying skater would get 18 placement points, and the other would get points equal to their placement (so, 19 total if one wins/one nonqualifies, 20 if silver, 21 if bronze, etc). The only way a team would lose the second assignment if one skater doesn't qualify and one does, is if the qualifying skater places 11th or lower.

For example, at Junior Worlds last year, Daniel Samohin won but Mark Gorodnitsky didn't make it out of the SP. Israel therefore had 19 total placement points, maintaining 2 spots. If Gorodnitsky hadn't been sent, Samohin's 1st would have earned 3 spots for Israel.

(BTW the rules are summarized in the 2018 Olympics/Worlds spots thread if you need a reference and don't want to go look up the official Rules PDF)

Thanks. I just wondered if the disqualified skater would be discounted and the sole LP participant might get 3 spots with a top 3 finish. No such loophole apparently. :biggrin:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Zijun stopped training on her own and reportedly asked to be released but was kept in the team in the substitute position pending resolution of the situation.

Do you mind if I ask where you read/heard this? Because it sounds plausible to me. She has seemed so ready to be done for the last year or so, as though she had no option but to continue. My assumption has been that she had no choice but to stay in because China has no other competitive lady. I love her skating, but I do not want her to be compelled to continue if she does not wish to any more. This week, however, it sounds as though she does want to skate. Sigh. She's had a tough road to follow, with all her coaching struggles. I feel like she is one of those athletes that had all the potential and then missed an important window in her development. But Carolina, and Mao as well, are such good examples of what can happen if you work through the struggles, develop into a mature performer, and maintain your love of the sport. Perhaps this very challenging week will be that for Zijun. And she can decide what she really wants.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Thanks. I just wondered if the disqualified skater would be discounted and the sole LP participant might get 3 spots with a top 3 finish. No such loophole apparently. :biggrin:

Honestly, if they had a loophole like that, it'd be kind of silly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Do you mind if I ask where you read/heard this? Because it sounds plausible to me. She has seemed so ready to be done for the last year or so, as though she had no option but to continue. My assumption has been that she had no choice but to stay in because China has no other competitive lady. I love her skating, but I do not want her to be compelled to continue if she does not wish to any more. This week, however, it sounds as though she does want to skate. Sigh. She's had a tough road to follow, with all her coaching struggles. I feel like she is one of those athletes that had all the potential and then missed an important window in her development. But Carolina, and Mao as well, are such good examples of what can happen if you work through the struggles, develop into a mature performer, and maintain your love of the sport. Perhaps this very challenging week will be that for Zijun. And she can decide what she really wants.

Zijun loves skating and says the Olympics is the ultimate goal for athletes. She is pretty strong willed. She was sent along with Han to the U.S. to be coached by Li Mingzhu and Pang Qing. She didn't like this coaching arrangement and returned to China by herself and trained alone for a little while. She was alone at the COR K&C for the SP. Mishin paid her very nice attention and soon she was sent to be trained under him in Russia. She seemed happy there with Carolina and other skaters but a recent interview revealed very difficult adjustments for her in Russia. The conspiracy theory says she boycotted Worlds believing she would be used to get Olympic spots for the younger skaters but be excluded herself because the Chinese fed considered the 2022 Olympics as the most important. The conspiracists dragged other skaters into this whole brouhaha so I hope Team China can let go of the distractions to focus on this competition.

I always believed things would be sorted out and she would go to this Worlds as her real wish and that of the fed. I also think the best thing she can do is make herself the unquestionably best Lady from China for the Olympics.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
No one is trapped and no partners are changed. Han Yan had to withdraw because of his broken shoulder. Zijun stopped training on her own and reportedly asked to be released but was kept in the team in the substitute position pending resolution of the situation. She is the best Chinese Lady and of course the feds wants her to go to Worlds. Speculations based on her cryptic messages theorized she felt she would be left out of the Olympics and so she boycotted. In any case, she is going to compete at Worlds 2017 as she should.

I'm sorry but for someone who repeatedly said not to jump to conclusions based on rumors regarding the Chinese fed, you seem pretty willed to throw Zijun under the bus. There was exactly one journalist who wrote a hard to believe story about Zijun asked to be released herself. All other indicators indicated that she desperately wanted to go to worlds:

She was happy and optimistic after the domestic competition in china a few weeks ago. She said all season long how she wants to work hard and that figure skating is her passion. Then a few days before the departure of team china to Helsinki her name was switched to be a substitute and she posted cryptic messages on her Weibo, talking about conspiracy and liking a post of an athlete who is known to have been sabotaged by her fed. She then deleted that message, instead posting that figure skating is her passion and that every athletes dream is to go to the olympics.

Saying that Zijun herself didn't want to go to worlds and the fed was all good and mighty is just as speculative as saying that Zijun was indeed victim of a conspiracy and power struggle inside the fed.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
If there were some doubts about North Korean pair actually showing up, they've arrived in Helsinki. ISU posted an IG Story about the first athletes to get accreditations and it was them.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but for someone who repeatedly said not to jump to conclusions based on rumors regarding the Chinese fed, you seem pretty willed to throw Zijun under the bus. There was exactly one journalist who wrote a hard to believe story about Zijun asked to be released herself. All other indicators indicated that she desperately wanted to go to worlds:

She was happy and optimistic after the domestic competition in china a few weeks ago. She said all season long how she wants to work hard and that figure skating is her passion. Then a few days before the departure of team china to Helsinki her name was switched to be a substitute and she posted cryptic messages on her Weibo, talking about conspiracy and liking a post of an athlete who is known to have been sabotaged by her fed. She then deleted that message, instead posting that figure skating is her passion and that every athletes dream is to go to the olympics.

Saying that Zijun herself didn't want to go to worlds and the fed was all good and mighty is just as speculative as saying that Zijun was indeed victim of a conspiracy and power struggle inside the fed.

I report known facts as facts. Unverified and unofficial info from the fed is presented with the preamble "reportedly" and unverified speculations are reported as speculations. People make their own conclusions or best guesses.

eta I also presented the report of her request because it is included in some speculations believing she was unwilling to go because of the conspiracy to use her. You can't have it both ways. For all reasons, the fed wanted her to go, even if it was just to use her. If she was willing to go, there would be no such uncertainties re the entries. Personally, as I have stated, I believe she loves skating and definitely wants to compete, especially at the Olympics. However, there was reluctance pertaining this Worlds.

Last edited: