2017 Four Continents live/practice reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents live/practice reports

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hockey players aren't trying to land with heavy impact on the blade. I completely understand why we don't have a quick-release system yet - it would be patently dangerous if done wrong!

And hockey players end up losing blades during the game sometimes and then have to basically crawl back to the bench. It can actually get pretty hilarious since they normally aren't hurt or anything. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB5b3xiTW4c

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As I replied to this exact question in the pairs thread, unmounting and remounting blades is not as easy as it looks. Having to do it so frequently would wear out the holes in the boot. Additionally, even the slightest alignment error when remounting could cause problems, particularly for skaters in a category as risky as pairs.

Hockey players aren't trying to land with heavy impact on the blade. I completely understand why we don't have a quick-release system yet - it would be patently dangerous if done wrong!

Of course the difference Karne pointed out is correct and evidently the quick release blades can present dangerous problems.

But the idea is to have a good design so all these issues can be resolved. Of course it's possible! It's how any technology begins and progress.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Most airlines don't allow that. Blades of the skating boots can be considered pretty much harmful.

I understand why airlines/security wouldn't want the average skater carrying blades on board in an accessible carry-on.
But in the case of athletes traveling to competition, I don't understand why there can't be a way to have attendants put a sealed package containing skates/blades in a secure area during flight, and then hand back to the athlete after landing. It's not like they'd have to do this hundreds or even dozens of times a day.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Moxiejan, having worked in the industry for a few years, I believe that this is a DOT (Dept. of Transport) security regulations. The rules changed after 911, and airlines are liable and risk fines for making any exceptions.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Moxiejan, having worked in the industry for a few years, I believe that this is a DOT (Dept. of Transport) security regulations. The rules changed after 911, and airlines are liable and risk fines for making any exceptions.

Yes, I understand that; that's why I referenced airlines/security. By "security," I meant any rules that the airlines did not control. The DOT/TSA make provisions for people with special circumstances; surely there could be a procedure for transporting skates more securely.

TGee

Record Breaker
Bringing these PJ Kwong interviews on Facebook over here...Mike Slipchuck [Skate Canada's high performance director] Carol Lane, and Gilles/Poirier. Ice Dance practice going on in the background...

Mike Slipchuck has pretty much the full tale of Meagan Duhamel's skates among other things.

https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics/videos/973106136154134/

OR...this link provides a bigger view...https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics/videos/vb.192209947577094/973106136154134/?type=2&theater

Would be interested if there are any geoblocks on these....If not, it looks like CBC has found a way to get its original content out to a global audience...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mirai looks strong in practice. :)

HOLY COW!!!!! When she's on, she is so spectacular....Please Mirai....Trust in the beauty that your skating can bring to the sport. Absolutely Beautiful....:cheer2:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Thoughts on a few skaters:

Na Hyun skipped all of her jumps, but the rest looked good enough. Her speed needs work though.

Zijun did 3F-3T nicely. Is she bringing this back into her layout? Anyways, her jumps looked great today.

Seems like Wakaba went for everything, but there were a ton of pops. And she seemed to be in pain too. Is something wrong?

Da Bin and Mirai looked very good too, though Mirai did have a few shaky jumps.

Karen, Mariah and Rika had a few bobbles.

Elizabet seems to be putting rippons on many of her jumps now. I guess being with Tutberidze for some time was the reason? Hopefully the rippons don't cause too much trouble for her.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you were there, randomfan, did you see Brooklee and Kailani?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, but UR's haven't got to anywhere.
There's a worm in every apple, isn't there? Ashley Wagner got a World silver medal with under-rotations. I only saw one in Mirai's practice. I reiterate: she looked strong.

randomfan

Record Breaker
If you were there, randomfan, did you see Brooklee and Kailani?

Oh I was just saying my thoughts from watching the videos. I'm not actually there though I wish I was! :) And I haven't seen anything from Brooklee and Kailani yet, sorry.

Last edited: