2017 Four Continents Men FS | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what the hell is this 4T-4T talk....
you need a flawless flow/speed out of the first 4T for this to even be a thinking. i dont see that in nathan's 4t.
did any skater even mentioned about attempting it because...
:dev2:

mura tried it :) but i agree... i don't see many skaters right now able to do that....

people are just going crazy... and having fun with nathan's layouts...

I remember last year... Jin came out with his 4Lz... people were doing layouts for him... and calculating BV...

Then Yuzu said he would bring the quad loop.... so many layouts come out ;)

Now it's Nathan's turn because it was said they want to go further...

If ever Yuzu brings another quad... oh my... :)

THe good news being a Patrick fan is that we live in the present :) haha

Last edited:

zebobes

Final Flight
what the hell is this 4T-4T talk....
you need a flawless flow/speed out of the first 4T for this to even be a thinking. i dont see that in nathan's 4t.
did any skater even mentioned about attempting it because...
:dev2:

Nathan always says his favorite jump is the 4T, which I find curious because it always looks eked out. I wonder if it's because Nathan thinks it's so easy, he doesn't spend as much time and concentration on executing it, because he can usually make it even if it isn't perfect. So, if he makes the 4T into a combo like a 4T-4T, he will be forced to concentrate and make his 4T better, which will make it more possible.

In theory. We'll see what he comes up with. I wonder if something like a 3Z-4T would be easier, which also spreads out the 4T, and makes every jumping pass capable of receiving up to 3 points in GOE.

4Lz-3T
3Lz-4T
4F
4T
4Lz
4S
3A-1Lo-3F

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think the issue is that you are not trying to "enlighten things," as much as you are interested in making erroneous claims that although you may believe in, others do not see it the same as you. There's no point discussing anything if we don't agree on basic facts and terminology first, and if you are coming from a limited perception point of view regarding the history of the sport, and of Nathan Chen's background as a skater. If you feel invested in another skater who Nathan Chen rivals, then you may not wish to recognize Nathan's positive strengths and attributes.

An erroneous claim is one that's provably false, not simply one you disagree with. Claiming that Nathan is 20 is erroneous because it can be proven he's 17. If you or chairmanmao claim that Nathan is or isn't musical, or that his programs are or are not inferior to Boyang's, you're both expressing opinions. Without more, neither of your opinions constitutes fact.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Sorry, by people I mean those who aren't figure skating fans but check in on figure skating every Olympics as casual fans. :)
Somehow I'm pretty sure some of those non figure skating fans came to witness CoC14 accident cause it was horrible and then came back last year to watch Hanyu beat those 300 magic numbers twice in a row cause that was just damn cool. Otherwise- totally agree with you. Those who watch it once Olympics is around would be, like, shocked about what our guys have achieved when they were away.:biggrin:

SkaterX

On the Ice
Somehow I'm pretty sure some of those non figure skating fans came to witness CoC14 accident cause it was horrible

Which accident was this?

Edit: I remember now, the collision with Yuzuru and Han Yan.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
In general, figure skating is more marketable to a wider public in Asian countries. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis and golf are the big sports in the U.S. In the U.S. we don't even have the kind of extensive television coverage of fs events that exists in most other countries where figure skating is more popular.

When there were huge television contracts for events shown in the U.S. back in the old days, U.S. fed had more clout with the ISU. Of course U.S. is a powerful country in general and since there is a long and very developed skating tradition, there's a huge depth of talented skaters in the U.S. Still it's one thing for U.S. fed to have some amount of power and influence, but entirely a different thing to know how to use it effectively. The sport of fs in general does not market skaters well, but in countries like Russia, Japan, and Canada, figure skaters are more well known and highly popular. In Japan, figure skaters are like rock stars. In the U.S., wider interest in figure skating and visibility for skaters happens mainly every four years when the Olympics rolls around.

The sport has definitely become more global over the years so there is a lot of cross-pollination with many Russian coaches in the U.S. and skaters from other countries training in the U.S., as well as choreographers and coaches in Canada and the U.S. assisting skaters from around the world. And there are partnerships that take place between many skaters from different countries.

The most dominant champions the U.S. has had in recent years have been in ice dance. The rise of U.S. ice dance happened organically over time when a number of Russian ice dance coaches settled in the U.S. and began training young students. The U.S. has had contenders and winners in pairs, but not recently (and U.S. fed has not done much to develop the pairs discipline, despite having some strong pairs historically).

Due to overemphasis on quads, the U.S. men's discipline has gone through many fluctuations over the past 7 years. We have had some wonderfully talented men skaters, but none who have been consistently on the podium at major events since 2010. The biggest men champions with marketing potential in their countries and globally have been Patrick Chan, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernandez, Shoma Uno, Dai Takahashi, and for awhile, Denis Ten. In U.S. ice dance, there's been Meryl Davis/ Charlie White, and the Shibutanis On the ladies' side a long time ago in the U.S. there was Michelle Kwan. The only near equivalent today has been Ashley Wagner in a small way with some sponsors, and Gracie Gold with a lot of sponsor interest and deals but no major championship wins to back up the interest in her. Again, the marketing opportunities and interest for U.S. skaters tends to gain momentum during the Olympics. But again, figure skaters are very low on the totem pole generally in the U.S., and especially in recent years due to there not being U.S. singles or pairs skaters winning major championships. That scenario will change with the burgeoning interest in Nathan Chen's accomplishments. However, it still remains to be seen what kind of effect Nathan's success will have in the American market that you say the ISU thinks is so important.

Jason Brown was a break out star in 2014 at the Olympics, but it was a transitional time with the quad continuing to take precedence over well-rounded skating. Since Jason has had difficulty mastering the quad, his opportunity to capitalize on the huge interest in his talent around 2014 Olympics, has been negligible. U.S. fed doesn't appear to know how to think outside-the-box and do very much to promote any of their skaters to a wider audience either in the U.S. or abroad.

I don't know what you mean by fair scoring. Shoma Uno won Skate America over Jason Brown and Adam Rippon. Nathan Chen has had a lot of success on the GP this season, and he won silver at GPF (the first GPF medal for U.S. men in a number of years). But Nathan's success is mostly tied to his ability to land multiple quads, which is the only way to rack up enough points to get on major medal podiums these days.

The last U.S. man to win gold at 4CCs was Adam Rippon, in 2010, so please explain what you mean by "American market is more important than fair scoring..." You think it's not fair scoring because a U.S. man has finally won 4CCs again? Was it fairer scoring when U.S. men were not winning 4CCs for the past 7 years? :drama:

Well yeah it was fairer because they did not deserve to win and not because they were Americans.
Interest in figure skating in Japan is oversaturated. All the competitions sell out, the fans even travel overseas to go to other competitions and ISU probably has very very lucrative contracts with the TV providers etc. however in the USA, the sport is dying. The competitions don't sell that well (though Boston worlds was a success), the contracts with the TV channels are certainly not as good as they used to be etc. and the fact is the American audience won't tune in to see Asian skaters (that is Japanese, Chinese etc. not talking about ethnically Asian), no matter how good they are.
ISU needs strong American skaters who win things to spark interest again and touch the American market that is a huge target for them both because of the size and because of the history of the sport there (since it was hugely popular once, it should be easier for it to become popular again than to touch completely new markets like dunno Australia, South America).

Besides ISU needs marketable skaters. Look at Yuzuru, he has hords of fans traveling to see him everywhere and who discuss his every moves etc. however in every coverage I see from TSL to CBC etc. it is not Hanyu but Javier who is always described as "good for the sport". How many times have I heard "Javi he is so likable, he is so good for the sport". I don't think it is necessarily untrue but it is very telling.