What's your top 5? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5?

rosacotton

Final Flight
I'm going for my top 5 moments instead of programs, if you don't mind:
1. Yuna's regal yet embarrassed presence at the medal ceremony
2. Raf enjoying Nathan's success more than Nathan himself
3. The glorious return of Sui and Han to save pairs from a lackluster season
4. Yuzuru managing to somehow not Zayak nor have invalidated elements in both SP and FS despite the popped Salchows
5. Han Yan's hotness especially in the SP, especially in those gray tight pants:slink:

Alright, Nathan is Superman with his five quads, but Yuzuru is inhuman being able to pull that feat off!

sweetwater

On the Ice
In no particular order:

Beautiful comeback of Sui/Han
Yuzuru's LP (especially the second half)
Shibs FD
Lubov/Dylan’s LP
Misha’s SP

I enjoyed watching most of the performances in this competition, including the ones with some falls and mistakes. It was an exciting week.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
In order:

Shibs FD
Sui/Han everything
Julian Yee everything including the gala
Nathan's SP
Yuzuru's LP

Hon Mention:
Gilles/Poirier FD
Shoma Uno's SP
Lubov/Dylan; Peng/Jin's LP
Nathan's LP
Mai Mihara's LP

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as always - not able to pick only 5...

top performances:

- Virtue/Moir both programs - another masterful display of strenght ad confidence and today's EX proved how easy they're feeling together and how well they can play and enjoy the material. Class

- Shibutanis both programs - getting stronger, getting rewarded, causing a stir by upping their game - that's a fame, babes! Now we're talking about HOT commodity (yasss slay!)

- Wenjing and Cong comeback - both programs oozing with maturity, artistry and potential, and they are back wth even stronger poise, commitment and chemistry for me. We're in for a treat, bowing to Royal Couple:bow:

- Mai Mihara FS - thrilling to watch and thrilled for her, it was such a joy to witness her and her coach authenic happines over scores and whole experience

- Shoma Uno SP - and I'm not even a fan of this program, but boy, that was one heck of fine performance with that fantastic 3A!

- Jason Brown FS - a special skate from gifted skater, a performance that spoke louder and stronger than actual words to me.

- Weaver/Poje FD - wish they would be able to pull tech side of that program off to its fullest and seduce everyone for good, but this was deep even with glitches

- Gilles/Poirier FD - still my favourite, exceptional control and vivid expression in that one, already an icon for me.

- Yuzuru FS - commanding display not only of his masterful skill, complex artistry, but also of his control over performance - not everyone would be able to get that last passes out of top of his head and pull them off so successfully, incorporating them into the program so seamlessly. A true champion, no matter of medal colour.

- Patrick FS - shame about falls, but still there was a lot to cherish and thank God - this is the skater whose performance skills are not disturbed by errors (at least for me).

cool moments/facts:

- Yuna in attendace - still a Queen, still looking beautiful and acting like a class act she is!

- breakthrough for Lubov and Dylan - over the moon for them!

- each country of 'top 4' outside of Europe getting a champion (Canada - Ice Dance, USA - Men, China - Pairs and Japan - Ladies)

- 'double sweep' in 3 out of 4 disciplines by: USA - Ice Dance, Canada - Pairs and Japan - Men, Ladies the only podium with 3 different countries

- Alexa and Chris return - glad to have them back!

blackey

On the Ice
Virtue/Moir FD (i know people like the SD more, but for me the FD is everything. and also scott play off with his mistake in warm up)
Virtue/Moir SD
Peng/Jin FP (so glad they finally skate this beautiful piece clean)
Sui/Han FP
Mai FP

honorable mention: yuzu's FP. I still don't feel much about this program (mainly because of the music) but this time was insane. I was shocked and had no idea what was going on after the 4t. for one second i thought he was going nuts and totally ignore the zayak rule just trying to do as many crazy thing as he could :eeking: and turn out everything was calculated, what a genius

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Julian Yee's Exhibition :2thumbs:

Zijun Li's both Long and short:love:

Hanyu's sp - I despised that music at first, but since GPF I love it:laugh:

Kaetlyn Osmond - everything including EX

Cheng/ Peng FS - David Wilson was smart to choose a male vocalist

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In no particular order:

Virtue/Money SD
Sui/Han
Yuzuru Hanyu FS
Song/Sun SD to Beyonce (especially Mr Sun)
The free programs from the two pairs ladies who pulled off their jumps against all expectations:
-- Iliushechkina (with an assist from Moscovitch)
-- Peng (with an assist from Jin)

Note: I haven't yet seen any ladies

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
In no particular order:

Sui/Han SP
Sui/Han FS
Mirai Nagasu FS
Han Yan SP
Second half of Yuzuru's FS (l o l)

Great competition! :cheer:

Lambari

Final Flight
1. Sihyeong Lee's FS.
2. Cowboy glitter double denim.
3. The day I went to church.
4. 이시형
5. Any of the above.

jk

1, 2. Yuzuru Hanyu's FS/EX.
3. Xiangning Li's Princess Mononoke FS :luv17:
4. Sihyeong Lee's whole being.
5. Shibs' or Sui/Han's EX

Honorable mention to Patrick plus Yuzuru and Yuzuru plus Shoma at the green room when Nathan's score was announced and Li Zijun's FS

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm going for my top 5 moments instead of programs, if you don't mind:
1. Yuna's regal yet embarrassed presence at the medal ceremony
2. Raf enjoying Nathan's success more than Nathan himself
3. The glorious return of Sui and Han to save pairs from a lackluster season
4. Yuzuru managing to somehow not Zayak nor have invalidated elements in both SP and FS despite the popped Salchows
5. Han Yan's hotness especially in the SP, especially in those gray tight pants:slink:

that should be number 1 ;)

KatGrace1925

Medalist
1. Nathan Chen's short program. The balletic aspect of it is just too percect!
2. The Shibutani's free dance was the best they've ever performed it!
3. Yuzuru Hanyu's long is my favorite overall program this season, the music is amazing and he deserves so many props for thinking on his feet and saving the last half.
4. Shoma Uno's quad toe, it was perfection, I love his long too!
5. Dabin Choi's programs. She ia not the most polished skater ever but I love Dabin, so it was fun to see her do well here.

Honorable mention for Rafael's awesome expressions this week!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my top 5 is also not programs or performances because except for Virtue and Moir's SD, I didn't get what I need in terms of WOW factor that combines everything in skating, the high tech, the great skating etc.... too many little mistakes from the skaters who can skate... not enough quality skating from the quadsters at times.

in no particular order
Pairs
Sui/Han returning to the sport and delivering a great short. I wasn't super thrilled with their LP but that's just the first time I see it... so I am looking forward to worlds.
SK/K's return as well : well... I never liked them before but they gave me so much joy watching their abandonment in their skating... Clearly Alexa is thrilled to be back and skating relatively well. With the other pairs I prefer from the USA not competing here, or perhaps ever again in major events.... (we will see about that) I was happy that they brought something special.... please, drop the wedding dress program though.... :)
Keeping in pairs... wow... i am on a roll! Award for the most improved SBS jumps go to Lubov and Dylan. Sure... not perfect... But no pops... no falls... couple step outs and carrots but that's enough for a bronze and you have just proved yourselves my dear that you can be super competitive if you stay on your feet... Gorgeous lifts, and pair elements, refinement... beautiful choreography that almost makes me forget how cheesy both programs are.... BUT... YES!!!!! I/M FTW!
Since I am doing pairs... might as well give a mention for D/R.... they have been struggling with layouts all season... this was so much better than GPF. Also, if you want to see acrobatics, go watch the replay in slow motion of Meagan's 3Lz-2t in the LP... she is sideways, with a huge leg wrap, nobody but her can land this LOL.. it's crazy.

Dance
I am a huge fan of the 3 canadian pairs... it was hard to watch this event.... Kudos to V/M to making it happen. Good job Piper for redeeming yourself in the FD... that was so uncharacteristic in the SD.... Good Job Andrew for the twizzles in the FD... too bad it was Kaitlyn's turn to mess up there... but the good news : your PCS were ranked, in both programs, in 3rd place... that is encouraging.
Shibs : SD I find was a great improvement so I was pleased with that.... FD : i am a fan of this FD but as the season progresses and they master it even more each time, it gets very bland... too clean... too perfect... BUT DAMN ALEX YOU ARE SEXY :)
I don't like Chock and Bates OTT programs and expression... not my cup of tea.
I thought H/D had a gorgeous yet cheesy FD... first time I connect to them so YAY!

Ladies : OUCH... tough event to watch.
Mai : good on you... not a fan of the programs but well skated.... BRAVO
Gabby : so thrilled you kept your calm in the FP after the loop. Happy you get your medal!!! WTG!!!
Kaetlyn : nervous Kaetlyn showed up... and it's normal. First time as a favourite. You will learn a lot from this.

Men : quaddity versus quaddity.
As I see figure skating primarily as a sport, I don't mind the quadsters winning. However, as figure skating sees itself as half a sport and half a performing art, make it count evenly then. If Patrick is the ultimate skater (fine add Yuzu if that floats your boat) then he should be able to distance himself enough based on PCS. If Nathan gets 88 PCS Patrick should get 100 ;) and that would be just the value of 1 quad... not 5
That's all ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't care about winners or losers, don't care about quads. For me, it will always be the power of the performance. And those:

1. Jason's LP: wherever and whenever he skates the Piano is stunning.

2. Misha's LP: I miss fun Misha, but I will take Ballet Misha. Just glad to see him still skating.

3. Julian Yee's LP: criminally underscored again. Anyone who makes me watch a James Brown program and even grin, like he did...Wowza.

4. Kai Xiang Chew's LP: Malaysia's other entry: who is this kid? Why is so happy to be on the ice? How did Malaysia develop two performers like this?

5. Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Chris Knierim's SP: sorry, it's the backstory, and how they look at each other, and what they were able to do. As I said in the Pair's SP, that, ladies and gents, is how you show emotion on the ice. No bedroom eyes, no pawsy handsy. Just real joy.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
In no particular order

Misha Ge LP
Julian Yee LP
Lubov/Dylan LP
Nathan Chen SP and LP
Sue/Han SP

Honourable mentions: Boyang SP and LP and Nam's LP

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not in order

Song/Sun SD to Beyonce
Virtue/Moir SD to Prince
Gilles/Poirier FD tango
Lubov landing her jumps
Hanyu LP

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
1. Patrick Chen FS
That was marvelous performance of this child prodigy! All that quads... very deserved win. A also liked his Spiderman short program. It was so funny! :agree:
2. Mai Miyahara FS, SP
Another great victory. Mai confirmed, that she is surely best japan female skater in recent years. And no UR calls this time And these easy jumps :love: Nice. And I really enjoyed this medal ceremony and congrats from her famous fellow Mao Asada. They were cute.
3. Sui/Han FD
Oh, Chinese miracle on ice. They were dancing very beutifully. I enjoyed every minute of their free dance. Another day, I saw Americans Virtue and Moir and it was really disaster, they managed no jumping pass and still received bunch of points! Shame for referees. These reputation scores should be avoided. On the other hand, chinese couple jumps were very nice and high!
4. Michelle Kwan FS
Oh, Winner takes it all! I was in tears. Michelle has not so much speed like younger skaters, but her experiences count. Congratulation to very deserved bronze medal. I hope that US skating assosiation sends you to Worlds. :cheer:
5. Brian Orser FS
I did not see his program, only KaC after free skate,he was there very happy. I am really surprised , that he is still competing so well, although he no more looks so light. So If must youtube his great performance, that was very close to Patrick Chen, only few points behind. Congrats, Brian, you still got it!

Don't be bad to me, it's my first on GoldenSkate! I'll better myself ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
1. Patrick Chen FS
That was marvelous performance of this child prodigy! All that quads... very deserved win. A also liked his Spiderman short program. It was so funny! :agree:
2. Mai Miyahara FS, SP
Another great victory. Mai confirmed, that she is surely best japan female skater in recent years. And no UR calls this time And these easy jumps :love: Nice. And I really enjoyed this medal ceremony and congrats from her famous fellow Mao Asada. They were cute.
3. Sui/Han FD
Oh, Chinese miracle on ice. They were dancing very beutifully. I enjoyed every minute of their free dance. Another day, I saw Americans Virtue and Moir and it was really disaster, they managed no jumping pass and still received bunch of points! Shame for referees. These reputation scores should be avoided. On the other hand, chinese couple jumps were very nice and high!
4. Michelle Kwan FS
Oh, Winner takes it all! I was in tears. Michelle has not so much speed like younger skaters, but her experiences count. Congratulation to very deserved bronze medal. I hope that US skating assosiation sends you to Worlds. :cheer:
5. Brian Orser FS
I did not see his program, only KaC after free skate,he was there very happy. I am really surprised , that he is still competing so well, although he no more looks so light. So If must youtube his great performance, that was very close to Patrick Chen, only few points behind. Congrats, Brian, you still got it!

Don't be bad to me, it's my first on GoldenSkate! I'll better myself ;)

Welcome to Golden Skate! Please visit and post often. :)

I know foreign skaters' name can be not familiar, so people tend to easily make mistakes, so here are just for your information.

1. Patrick Chen (Olympic silver medalist Patrick Chan)-> Nathen Chen. Nathan's SP program is not Spiderman, which is another sensational quadster, Boyang's.

2. Mai Miyahara (Satoko Miyahara out of the competition due to her injury) -> Mai Mihara
"I really enjoyed this medal ceremony and congrats from her famous fellow Mao Asada. They were cute." -> You meant 2010 Olympic Champion Yuna Kim?

3. Virtue and Moir are neither Americans and pair skaters who would compete with Sui and Han in the same competition. I guess you meant Duhamel and Radford, but they are Canadians.

4. Michelle Kwan -> Mirai Nagasu
Kwan retired more than 10 years ago....

5. Brian Orser -> I assume you meant Yuzuru Hanyu, the reigning Olympic champion. Orser is his coach and moreover retired like 30 years ago.

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
1) Sui Han SP and LP- love everything...music, costumes, their connection and her edgy hair

2) Virtue Moir SD- makes me smile and rock out every time I see it

3) Shibs FD- best performance this season

4) Nathan Chen- SP- brilliant

5) Nathan Chen LP- to execute as well as he did skating last and after Yuzu is absolutely remarkable

Honorable Mention:

Yuzuru LP- while I felt the program was a bit lacking and it seemed like he was going through the motions rather than performing, still beautiful skating while doing math on the fly

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Aside from the competition, Yuna Kim's queenly appearance at the ladies' victory ceremony and delegation for the Olympic test event. :)

Back to the main point,

1. Sui & Han SP - glamorous and sensual. I can't believe they could show such a super high quality performance after her injury that took away their season more than half.
2. Mirai FS I cried after she finished her performance. It was so touching.
3. Shoma SP - I gave up because he won me over. I'd been very critical of his jump techniques and judges' certain favoritism upon him that I really didn't understand. I may still be critical of his jumps, but what a performance! I previously thought the program is all about jumps, but his version now began to have a deep resonant voice. Though Machida's Ladies in Lavender will be my No. 1.
4. Nathan SP - his technical prowess and balletic quality shone through the program.
5. Weaver & Poje FD - I thought they should've been placed at least in fourth.

Honorable mention;

6. Shoma FS - his free skate even with some mistakes was the highlight of the men's FS event for me although I was super happy Nathan won the title.
7. Virtue & Moir SD - Tessa! Scott!
8. Patrick Chan's gliding - even though he couldn't fully deliver his jumps after two beautiful big jumps, his edge qualities always captivate my mind.
9. Jason Brown FS - At first I couldn't like the program with so many extensions and spirals which I felt excessively used and unrelated to the interpretation of "Piano", so I previously kept comparing his program with Delobel and Schoenfielder's beautiful FD, but he was certainly a joy to watch among the quadsters with big jumps. His performance was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Last edited: