What's your top 5? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5?

gladiolusc

Medalist
Sui/Han SP - Their performance has the emotional quality of an ice dance team despite all the scary throws
Yuzuru LP - The way he's able to move things around like that! The attack and sharper quality of the second half worked for me. I don't think H&L needs to be introspective throughout. The softness from the first half of his GPF performance combined with the combative/warrior-like second half seen here might be my perfect H&L.
Virtue Moir SD - Tessa! (Camera work was especially annoying though)
Patrick Chan LP - Not as good as Chanationals, but the skating is always a pleasure to see
Shoma SP - I used to think this program was bland and inferior to his SP last year, but this performance had more choreo or he accented it better

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
In no particular order:
Yuzuru's FS
Mirai's FS
Maia and Alex's FD
Everything from Sui/Han
Tessa and Scott's SD

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Welcome to Golden Skate! Please visit and post often. :)

I know foreign skaters' name can be not familiar, so people tend to easily make mistakes, so here are just for your information.

1. Patrick Chen (Olympic silver medalist Patrick Chan)-> Nathen Chen. Nathan's SP program is not Spiderman, which is another sensational quadster, Boyang's.

2. Mai Miyahara (Satoko Miyahara out of the competition due to her injury) -> Mai Mihara
"I really enjoyed this medal ceremony and congrats from her famous fellow Mao Asada. They were cute." -> You meant 2010 Olympic Champion Yuna Kim?

3. Virtue and Moir are neither Americans and pair skaters who would compete with Sui and Han in the same competition. I guess you meant Duhamel and Radford, but they are Canadians.

4. Michelle Kwan -> Mirai Nagasu
Kwan retired more than 10 years ago....

5. Brian Orser -> I assume you meant Yuzuru Hanyu, the reigning Olympic champion. Orser is his coach and moreover retired like 30 years ago.

I believe balabam's post was a little joke on us. He/she may be a regular poster who created a new id just for this post. When I read number 1, I thought it was an honest mistake, as you did, but as I continued to read, decided it must be a parody. And a very clever one, at that.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I believe balabam's post was a little joke on us. He/she may be a regular poster who created a new id just for this post. When I read number 1, I thought it was an honest mistake, as you did, but as I continued to read, decided it must be a parody. And a very clever one, at that.

Same with me Nana Pat. The post itself reminded me of another poster, who coined herself on here after a well known spin, and who has been absent as of late.

Coincidence I guess.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Patrick Chen FS
That was marvelous performance of this child prodigy! All that quads... very deserved win. A also liked his Spiderman short program. It was so funny! :agree:
2. Mai Miyahara FS, SP
Another great victory. Mai confirmed, that she is surely best japan female skater in recent years. And no UR calls this time And these easy jumps :love: Nice. And I really enjoyed this medal ceremony and congrats from her famous fellow Mao Asada. They were cute.
3. Sui/Han FD
Oh, Chinese miracle on ice. They were dancing very beutifully. I enjoyed every minute of their free dance. Another day, I saw Americans Virtue and Moir and it was really disaster, they managed no jumping pass and still received bunch of points! Shame for referees. These reputation scores should be avoided. On the other hand, chinese couple jumps were very nice and high!
4. Michelle Kwan FS
Oh, Winner takes it all! I was in tears. Michelle has not so much speed like younger skaters, but her experiences count. Congratulation to very deserved bronze medal. I hope that US skating assosiation sends you to Worlds. :cheer:
5. Brian Orser FS
I did not see his program, only KaC after free skate,he was there very happy. I am really surprised , that he is still competing so well, although he no more looks so light. So If must youtube his great performance, that was very close to Patrick Chen, only few points behind. Congrats, Brian, you still got it!

Don't be bad to me, it's my first on GoldenSkate! I'll better myself ;)

Honestly...reading this made mind feel so much better. I think I'm going to have a great day and I hope you do too :)

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This is my year for serenity so to start:

1. Shibutanis FD
2. Jason's FS

I always admire a class act so...

3. Hanyu's comments at the press conference (if HE can admit that Nathan won fair and square, I don't see why there should be such bickering about it)

Who doesn't love suspense so...

4. Close competitions that came down to the wire in ALL FOUR DISCIPLINES. It really makes it so much more entertaining.

And something that I didn't realize until circumstances forced me to miss most of the second half of the season...

5. All the comments from my fellow GSers during the events, even the ones that made me roll my eyes or gnash my teeth. It's so much more fun to watch with a crazy bunch of informed fans that I don't have to explain the judging to!

kimganos

On the Ice
Yuzu FS
Jason FS
Sui/Han SP
Mai LP(Kiss and Cry:luv17:)
NathanSP

Honorable Mention: Patrick's FS(even with the mistakes)

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sui/Han both programs
Mirai FS
Shoma both programs
Shibs both programs
Jason FS

HM: Peng/Jin FS, Lubov/Dylan FS, Misha FS, Yuzuru FS, Nathan both programs

narcissa

Record Breaker
Uhm, let's see ;)

1. Yuzu's free skate. Geez, it had mistakes, but IMO by far the best free skate of this season... (and not just because of score)
2. Yuzu's short program.
3. Yuzu's SP quad loop. That was so beautiful.
4. Those YOLO axels. Beautiful, beautiful, just beautiful.
5. Yuzu's face after the FS all the way to when the camera shut off. Oops, is this not the fan fest? :rofl:

Honorable mention: Mirai's FS! So proud of her for rotating her jumps and skating CLEAN!

TTM

Rinkside
Country
Brazil
Shoma Uno: SP, LP & EX :luv17:

Mirai Nagasu: LP

Jason Brown: EX

Cheng Peng/Yang Jin: LP

Patrick Chan: LP

Last edited:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Welcome to Golden Skate! Please visit and post often. :)

Thank you very much! I have become more or less regular visitor in the current season, but was too lazy to post until now :rolleye: It's great forum and thanks to it I am definitely more committed to figure skating :yahoo:

Yes, NanaPat, it was little joke ;) Thank you, I really tried :laugh:

Same with me Nana Pat. The post itself reminded me of another poster, who coined herself on here after a well known spin, and who has been absent as of late.
Coincidence I guess.

No clone, it is really my first :p

Honestly...reading this made mind feel so much better. I think I'm going to have a great day and I hope you do too :)

Thank you, I really had great day, mine is just ending now :bed: , so nice rest of your day :agree:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just 5?

1) Mirai's FS and her PB score at age 23. Shows she can keep improving as she matures. Her reaction with TomZ in the KnC was just adorable, too.
2) Yuzu's FS laying it down and altering his layout to maximize points. He still lost overall to Nathan, but won the FS.
3) Nathan - not as great as Nationals but answering Yuzu's dare and getting the gold medal. Raf was hilarious too and more excited than Nathan!
4) Sui and Han - both programs show they are back with a vengeance and favorites to get the gold at Worlds if they are clean.
5) Tessa and Scott - showing they are the team everyone else is chasing in ice dance. I love their SD more than the FD, but they also prove that they get better with age.

Honorable Mentions

- Gabby Daleman for grabbing #1 in the SP and silver medal - I'd like more edgy programs from her b/c she can handle them. Perhaps working with someone other than Lori?
-The official return of Alexa and Chris to competition. Although I had the pleasure of seeing their SP debut in person last December (albeit a watered down version) it was so nice to see them nail their SP here. They had a few issues in the FS but Alexa's joy to be competing again and seeing her and Chris so happy together was heartwarming. I hope Worlds goes better for them this year than last.
- Shibs' FD - They finally let loose a bit here which made it far more enjoyable than Nationals.
- Misha Ge - nice to see him skate clean here despite his ongoing foot issues and possibly retiring. His Bieber EX was also hilarious!

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And able to do multiple quotes...wow, took me 4 years to learn that trick...impressive ;)

Welcome balabam!

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Favourite thing was as always getting to watch with you people. Makes me enjoy it all the more.
Worst part was missing so much of it. The timing of the event combined with a death/funeral in the family meant that I missed all the ladies and men but did get to see Dance and Pairs (which is my favourite) so my list is a little slanted.

1. I/M winning a medal! *fangirl cheering* Lubov landing her jumps! *fangirl fainting*
2. V/M's SD and FD. Mostly the SD.
3. G/P's tango FD
4. Mr. Sun's single ladies. Really he was such a delight. So much emoting and give.
5. S/H's SP/LP (probably this should be 2nd but I kind of blanked)

I also enjoyed Peng/Jin's LP and W/P FD.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Favourite thing was as always getting to watch with you people. Makes me enjoy it all the more.
Worst part was missing so much of it. The timing of the event combined with a death/funeral in the family meant that I missed all the ladies and men but did get to see Dance and Pairs (which is my favourite) so my list is a little slanted.

1. I/M winning a medal! *fangirl cheering* Lubov landing her jumps! *fangirl fainting*2. V/M's SD and FD. Mostly the SD.
3. G/P's tango FD
4. Mr. Sun's single ladies. Really he was such a delight. So much emoting and give.
5. S/H's SP/LP (probably this should be 2nd but I kind of blanked)

I also enjoyed Peng/Jin's LP and W/P FD.

I was asleep through the LP and missed it (first time missing a live LP of theirs this season), so naturally Lubov nails it. And You're Welcome! ;)

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
1 Shoma UNO - FS
2 LI Zijun - FS
3 Yuzuru HANYU - FS
4 PENG / JIN - FS
5 Nathan CHEN - SP

Honorable Mention: Mai MIHARA - FS, Grant HOCHSTEIN - SP (First time I've enjoyed watching him, so worth a mention!), Men's FS in general (great competition!)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Sui/Han both
Misha FS
Peng/Jin FS
Yuzu FS
Zijun both

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This is my year for serenity so to start:

1. Shibutanis FD
2. Jason's FS

I always admire a class act so...

3. Hanyu's comments at the press conference (if HE can admit that Nathan won fair and square, I don't see why there should be such bickering about it)

Who doesn't love suspense so...

4. Close competitions that came down to the wire in ALL FOUR DISCIPLINES. It really makes it so much more entertaining.

And something that I didn't realize until circumstances forced me to miss most of the second half of the season...

5. All the comments from my fellow GSers during the events, even the ones that made me roll my eyes or gnash my teeth. It's so much more fun to watch with a crazy bunch of informed fans that I don't have to explain the judging to!

hello:), agree on all, especially on bolded - Yuzuru, a class act, great competitor, great champion, no matter what medal he gets, he's faaar more reasonable than a lot of his fans, but honestly I can't blame them :laugh:, and back at You about comments - there is always so much more joy in watching competitions with GS in company!

5) Tessa and Scott - showing they are the team everyone else is chasing in ice dance. I love their SP more than the FD, but they also prove that they get better with age.

-Shibs' FD - They finally let loose a bit here which made it far more enjoyable than Nationals.

oh yes - Tessa and Scott are getting more and more deep into each program they're doing and produce so mature and complex performances now. There is more consciousness about their bodies, how they work and more awareness of their relationship, how they interact, the bond is so strong...

and oh yes for Shibutanis - it really felt that they got more exuberant in that FD and instead of wobbles we got sheer brilliance :)