Yuzuru's SP
Sui and Han FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My top five moments ... and not coincidentally, the programs I've re-watched:

1. Nathan Chen's SP. His style is like a blend of dancer and machismo, I'm thrilled and mesmerized all at once. So happy that, even in addition to his incredible jumping talent, he has something unique to him as a skater.

2. Cheng Peng/ Yan Jin's FS. Masterful use of their connection and technical prowess. The jumps and the throws are so gorgeous, and they're in service to something greater: the musical and emotional meaning of the program. They perfectly portrayed longing, desire, and the heartbreak of lovers about to be separated. Also, they don't race through their music; everything smooth and easy.

3. Alexa Scimeca Knierim / Chris Knierim. Both programs: they're living while they're skating, when before, they were working. Alexa said it, Andrea quoted it, and I felt it and knew it before I heard it. Figure skating means something new to Alexa now, that's plain; this life-threatening illness made skating more precious.

4. This 17-year-old kid, competing as a senior internationally for the first time this season, skating after the biggest figure skating rock star on the planet, and not getting rattled. He looked forward to it, because "Yuzuru always gets the crowd going." Nathan is as cool as a cucumber and confident, exuberant in his understated way. I'm obsessed with this kid, which is so weird for me because I'm not a big fan of quads!!!

5. Alexa / Chris. The SP sbs jump was the first time I wasn't terrified that Chris was going to fall. It felt different as they were going into it. Maybe it was extra practice on solo jumps. Or did he finally learn to concentrate on himself, rather than on her?

Honorable Mentions:

Gabby Daleman rescuing her 3Lutz in the SP, and Brian Orser jumping and cheering on the sidelines.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir reaching for each other's hand while coming out of a series of moves, without looking at each other. Each one is always where they should be at every moment so that it seems uncanny; they have a symbiotic touch and have a perfect sense of each other.

Mai Mihara's wonderful, marvelous FS. She seized the moment and WON it, without doubt. Unlike many, I love the Cinderella program and think she comes close to expressing it. She has the moves and the understanding; she's putting it all together.

You know how people are always saying that so-and-so can only win if others make mistakes? That happened with Mai, and yet I don't feel it matters one whit. What matters is that she rose to the occasion and skated up to her ability. How magnificent!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
5. Alexa / Chris. The SP sbs jump was the first time I wasn't terrified that Chris was going to fall. It felt different as they were going into it. Maybe it was extra practice on solo jumps. Or did he finally learn to concentrate on himself, rather than on her?
Alexa and Chris went to Alex Ouriashev for jump training. He has helped a lot of people, and I hope he has helped them too! I posted a video clip of them training in Chicago in their Fan Fest. I thought they looked so happy, and I have such high hopes for them! :)

ETA -- Darn, I removed the link. It was a FB post and was made private!

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Alexa and Chris went to Alex Ouriashev for jump training. He has helped a lot of people, and I hope he has helped them too! I posted a video clip of them training in Chicago in their Fan Fest. I thought they looked so happy, and I have such high hopes for them! :)

I wish fixing Gracie's problems would be that simple and quick:drama:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I no particular order
1. Piper & Paul's FD & antics in the greenroom (priceless, I love the way they are - sheer fun)
2. Yuzu FS
3. Rafa celebrating Chen & getting autograph of Yuzu
4. Sui/Han SP & FS
5. Lexa & Chris Knierim - what a comeback, the emotion!!!

Last edited: