Special Olympics Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Special Olympics Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there somewhere I can talk about this? They are trying to get to the World Special Olympic games next month in Austria, and I'd like to see them succeed. They have to raise $10k to get there (they have a gofundme) and aren't doing terribly well so far. I'm trying to give them a signal boost (I have no one on the team, just a fan). Can anyone tell me if this would be an appropriate thing to post about here?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We allow gofundme links in Fan Fests, so I have moved your post to Fan Fests. I hope that anyone who has news about Special Olympics skaters and their events, in any country, will also post here!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I hope that anyone who has news about Special Olympics skaters and their events, in any country, will also post here!

An Evening With Champions has Special Olympics figure skater [ETA: and bronze medalist] Sharita Taylor listed on its "2018 Cast Sneak Peek." :cool:

Sharita represented the U.S. at 2017 Special Olympics World Games, and she and her twin sister Shaye got some major media coverage at the time, IIRC. (Interview on ABC News with Robin Roberts, for example.)

More recently, Sharita and Shaye (who also is a Special Olympics figure skater) received a surprise visit from Nathan Chen, with the assistance of United Airlines and Special Olympics.
All three athletes looked so happy and excited to share hugs :ghug: and to skate together. #InclusionRevolution

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were some lovely Special Olympics skaters in the opening ceremony in Greensboro. I talked to one of the ladies with them and she told me some of them will be going to the World Games - place to be determined. Apparently they keep moving it?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The GB Special Olympics figure skating team are competing in Sweden at the moment. Not sure exactly what the event is, but they're having a whale of a time. If you follow iskatecoach on Instagram (Paul Crocker), he's the team coach and posts lots of lovely updates and stories.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The GB Special Olympics figure skating team are competing in Sweden at the moment. Not sure exactly what the event is, but they're having a whale of a time. If you follow iskatecoach on Instagram (Paul Crocker), he's the team coach and posts lots of lovely updates and stories.
Thank you!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Special Olympics figure skater in Montana wins gold medal, qualifies to Nationals.

Sorry I cannot embed it and I don’t know why it shows up in German. It is in English. If anyone knows how to fix please let me know. It’s a nice article.

Caption:
Great Falls athlete Jenny Hill participated in her first ice-skating competition last weekend, just three months after her first time on skates! Figure skating isn’t an SO sport in Montana, but at SOMT we love celebrating the additional challenges our athletes take on with the confidence and resilience that participating in SO brings them!
Jenny won a gold medal and qualified for nationals!

The link is to her program.

Last edited: