2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread

Dlqp95

Rinkside
Though I may be biased, I think it will be either Hanyu (this lil' boy still hasn't done his best so let's hope :yes2:) or Javier (he's still awesome and I believe, just like Hanyu, that still got a lot to show us) so my bets are going to them. Chen seems like a strong competitor so I wouldn't forget him :think: and there is also Patrick (dear lord I like him but not his excuses). The one I'm not sure is Uno, though great, I don't know, he doesn't give me this feeling of consistency :confused2:.

Kelly

On the Ice
I hope Nathan will have a clean FS (no negative GOE) that has same jump layout as his FS planned at 4CC besides a clean short program.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
While waiting for the Workds, MOHIR has been doing a spot of reading. He is reading A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.

Predict how many of the 25 quads in the expected final group in FS will MOHIR eat in its Moveable Feast, and also which quads.

Nathan: Lz, F, S, T, T
Boyang: Lz, Lo, S, T, T
Shoma: F, Lo, S, T, T
Yuzuru: Lo, S, S, T
Javier: S, S, T
Patrick: S, T, T

Lz - 2
F - 2
Lo - 3
S - 8
T - 10

sheetz

Record Breaker
Is Boyang really going to attempt 4Lo? He did much better at AWG without it but still didn't skate clean. And I don't know about Shoma, either. I get the sense that his successful 4Lo at 4CC was probably a fluke. Let's see how he does at Coupe du Printemps.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I bet you can add one more 4T for Hanyu. I am sure he will attempt 5 quads in free

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I bet you can add one more 4T for Hanyu. I am sure he will attempt 5 quads in free

No way. Five quads in the free means either bringing out the 4Lz which is too risky as it's a brand new jump (unless I guess he is chasing post the SP) or dumping one of the 3As, something he has said he won't do. So he'll stick to four plus why wouldn't he. He's still all right with that number, provided he can go clean.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
No way. Five quads in the free means either bringing out the 4Lz which is too risky as it's a brand new jump (unless I guess he is chasing post the SP) or dumping one of the 3As, something he has said he won't do. So he'll stick to four plus why wouldn't he. He's still all right with that number, provided he can go clean.

yes, 4 is enough, but he he wants to land 5 now fur sure and if he will confident he will do it

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
yes, 4 is enough, but he he wants to land 5 now fur sure and if he will confident he will do it

He said, outright, he will keep the two 3As. So currently, it is either introduce the 4Lz, a brand new jump, at Worlds, or lose one of the 3As. And the 3As, in combination as he does them, in the second half of the program are worth plenty. It's highly unlikely we'll see a 5 quad scenario from him.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Regarding Yuzu and the 5 quads - yes, the point is Yuzu himself sad he will definitely keep the 3As. I'm not sure why the idea of 2 4Ss + 2 4Ts is even a thing, tbh. If we see 2 4Ts, then he'll exchange one of the 4Ss for it, but it's very unlikely. IF we are going to see 5 quads from him at any point, it will include a 4Lz.
And yes, he said he wants to try 5 quads after 4CCs, but I'm sure he also wants to really try the 4Lz and 4A, and (thankfully) we haven't seen him go around and just throw them out without rhyme or reason at any point either.

As for the other layouts: I would not yet say Boyang and Shoma are going to do 5 quads each. Shoma said he will try the 4S at his next comp, but this doesn't mean they plan it for WC no matter what. If it isn't successful, I'd think they'll go back to the 4CC layout. And Boyang went back to 4 quads for AWG, and given how he had trouble with his 5 quad LP at 4CC, I'd say his layout is a question mark too. I know the quads are exciting, but please remember these guys do have normal human hips and knees.

blackey

On the Ice

i don't think so. if you wanna repeat both 4t and 4s, then you can't repeat 3a anymore. that doesn't sound like a good deal for yuzu.

blackey

On the Ice
If it isn't successful, I'd think they'll go back to the 4CC layout. And Boyang went back to 4 quads for AWG, and given how he had trouble with his 5 quad LP at 4CC, I'd say his layout is a question mark too..

neither boyang or shoma skate clean at 4cc. they can't skate clean with their "safe" layout, that's why they're adding more, so they are allowed to make mistake while still being competitive. Besides, I think everyone is aiming at next year, even if they can skate clean with their "safe" layout, they are still gonna risk themselves for better preparing next year.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
neither boyang or shoma skate clean at 4cc. they can't skate clean with their "safe" layout, that's why they're adding more, so they are allowed to make mistake while still being competitive. Besides, I think everyone is aiming at next year, even if they can skate clean with their "safe" layout, they are still gonna risk themselves for better preparing next year.

At other competitions maybe, but at the WC? I really doubt it. Regarding Shoma, I don't doubt he will keep his riskier 4CC layout, I just don't think it's set in stone yet he'll add a 5th quad (I'd wait for his next competition for that). Boyang actually did better at AWG with 4 quads than at 4CC with 5. If you have a higher BV but it causes you to make significantly more mistakes, you can come out with a lower score over all still. 'Not clean' and 'not clean' can still be very different in how many mistakes somebody made.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's see, a totally clean SP will probably be about 84-85? I wonder if he'll try and upgrade it before Worlds or leave it as is.

Then the FS - with two quads and otherwise clean, probably mid 150s...if he lands the third quad, maybe he could push 160, and then he could be looking at a mid 240s total, that would start to mix things up a bit. Yes, I am sure it will be so. And then I can rage about his PCS.

Fly high, Brendan, and show everyone what you've got!

LRK

Record Breaker
While waiting for the Workds, MOHIR has been doing a spot of reading. He is reading A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.

Predict how many of the 25 quads in the expected final group in FS will MOHIR eat in its Moveable Feast, and also which quads.

Nathan: Lz, F, S, T, T
Boyang: Lz, Lo, S, T, T
Shoma: F, Lo, S, T, T
Yuzuru: Lo, S, S, T
Javier: S, S, T
Patrick: S, T, T

Lz - 2
F - 2
Lo - 3
S - 8
T - 10

But what about the 3As? Suppose GRIM told MOHIR about how much tastier they are?

Dear MOHIR,
forget the quads - just snack on one or so if you're feeling really peckish, but really, they are just blah. The 3As, though, are delicious - yum yum!
Yours truly, in friendship,
GRIM

Something like that.:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
only 4 pages so far....my prediction is falling quite short...

I think we've about exhausted the subject, failing some news on injury, jump layouts, etc.

I'm ready for the competition. Tiring of the same talking points, over and over.

da96103

Record Breaker
But what about the 3As? Suppose GRIM told MOHIR about how much tastier they are?

Dear MOHIR,
forget the quads - just snack on one or so if you're feeling really peckish, but really, they are just blah. The 3As, though, are delicious - yum yum!
Yours truly, in friendship,
GRIM

Something like that.:)

Yes, GRIM was quite happy to have not one but two rare Shoma 3A's but quite upset with only one quad meal from Patrick in the final group.

This is what MOHIR is expecting.
Patrick: 50% chance of a quad meal.
Javier: 50% chance of a quad meal.
Boyang: 50% chance of a quad meal.
Shoma: 50% chance of a quad meal.
Yuzuru: 25% chance of a quad meal.
Nathan: 5% chance of a quad meal.

75% chance of getting wobbling gravy from all skaters.