2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men pre-event thread

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For me, it's the number of falls in a single program.
http://nishikuma-br.tumblr.com/image/158021369079
1 fall, Patrick Hand to mouth, flinching.
2 falls, Yuzu, pointing and yelling
3 falls, Javi, pointing with both hands and yelling
4-5 falls, eyes go dead, or begin to do something else like play the trumpet. Shoma and Nathan. :biggrin:

LOL

maybe i could go with patrick falling once while yuzu and javier fall twice but point at the ice cream saying " he fell more than we did" but nathan playing the trumpet seems like a victory gesture not like a 4-5 falls :) but this is interesting... and if it happens like this... will patrick's one fall beat others who feel 2 or 3 times?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Had the artist drawn Spidey Jin, this situation would not have hapoene. Spidey Jin would have caught the ice cream before it falls with his Boyang web.

if Jason had been in the drawing, that ice cream would be on top of his blade pointing to the sky.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
LOL

maybe i could go with patrick falling once while yuzu and javier fall twice but point at the ice cream saying " he fell more than we did" but nathan playing the trumpet seems like a victory gesture not like a 4-5 falls :) but this is interesting... and if it happens like this... will patrick's one fall beat others who feel 2 or 3 times?

Oh, hehe, I meant my reaction to the number of falls in a single program. -Not a prediction.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is going to be a nail biting SP. If everyone skates at their best, I'm predicting that a skater will need at least a 75 point Short Program to even make the top 24 cut.
If you see the scores that have been posted this year on the Grand Prix, Challenger, 4CC, Euros, Universiade, and AWG, you will notice that many male skaters have scored in the high 70-mid 80 point range. It's going to be a pressure cooker.

da96103

Record Breaker
This is going to be a nail biting SP. If everyone skates at their best, I'm predicting that a skater will need at least a 75 point Short Program to even make the top 24 cut.
If you see the scores that have been posted this year on the Grand Prix, Challenger, 4CC, Euros, Universiade, and AWG, you will notice that many male skaters have scored in the high 70-mid 80 point range. It's going to be a pressure cooker.

Reference: At 2016 worlds, the 24th skater in SP was Ivan Pavlov from Ukraine with 65.20

rosacotton

Final Flight
I am praying for no one to end up hurting themselves with all the quads we will be seeing! Be safe, gentlemen!! :drama:

frida80

Record Breaker
Lol. The reason they made a pre event thread is because of the size of the men's 4CC thread. But this one is no one near as crazy.

frida80

Record Breaker

I think it was because there were the top 6 out of 8 at a pre-worlds competition. It almost never happens that way and we all got excited over seeing a fierce competition over a month before worlds. Now, it's just worlds. we already knew it was happening so it's harder to get excited.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it was because there were the top 6 out of 8 at a pre-worlds competition. It almost never happens that way and we all got excited over seeing a fierce competition over a month before worlds. Now, it's just worlds. we already knew it was happening so it's harder to get excited.

it was because of the clash of newly crowned american quad king vs yuzu and shoma japanese quad kings... now that nathan won round 1... we are just patiently waiting for round two but we know he can do 7 quads in two programs :)

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
it was because of the clash of newly crowned american quad king vs yuzu and shoma japanese quad kings... now that nathan won round 1... we are just patiently waiting for round two but we know he can do 7 quads in two programs :)

WC is round 3 , Round 1 was GPF :biggrin:
Very interesting things are happening, In Marseille Yuzu won overall but Nathan/Shoma beat him in LP. At 4CC Nathan won but Yuzu beat him in LP
Round 3 is going to be something :handw:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WC is round 3 , Round 1 was GPF :biggrin:
Very interesting things are happening, In Marseille Yuzu won overall but Nathan/Shoma beat him in LP. At 4CC Nathan won but Yuzu beat him in LP
Round 3 is going to be something :handw:

i didn't think of GPF because right before GPF Nathan wasn't talking about 5 quads in the lp nor landing them... that really happened at nationals and got fans excited...

worlds : we are just waiting patiently LOL... ice is slippery ;)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
No predictions from me - it's just way too difficult. But I wish that the senior men will do what the junior men did and produce a SP result with the Top 5 all with 100+ points. Then a proper showdown at FS for the victory!

Also looking forward to finally seeing Jason Brown skate live (so I hope he does good!), hoping that Deniss Vasiljevs will deliver even better performances than at Europeans. Slightly curious as to what Denis Ten and Yan Han will be able to do.

E

knifeshoes

On the Ice
no one can predict what's going to happen or who's going to be on the top of the podium at worlds and I hope everyone compete without injuring themselves
and please no more scoring controversy again and fans raging :noshake:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I saw a Japanese TV clip focusing on the newly formed rivalry between Hanyu and Nathan at Nathan's Fan Fest. After the final result was settled at 4CC, Hanyu said in the press conference there, he considered putting 5 quads in his LP which came as an interesting news for me. I wonder whether Hanyu really plans to do that at Helsinki.

Moreover, among the podium finishers of GPF and 4CC, Shoma are in both along with Nathan and Hanyu. While many people have paid close attention to the two, Shoma's rising rate is also fast. He didn't peak his condition in the latter of previous two seasons, so I'm curious as to how he handles his stamina at Worlds this time and finally can grab his first World medal.

I don't forget about the other contenders such as the defending WC champion, Javi and former 3-time WC Patrick. Boyang has struggled with consistency, but gets better as the season goes on, so his another World medal is not out of reach. Kolyada, Kovtun, Denis Ten, Han Yan, Jason....they could be spoilers, so the event will be an exciting competition for sure. :)

Last edited: