2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread has real potential to eliminate the need for Zhenia grumble threads :yay:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
"Only" :rolleye:

I think you are quite wrong about her not changing styles eventually. Look how diverse her exhibitions are. She's only been in seniors for 2 seasons and you think she isn't going to want to switch things up at some point? Of course she will.

So is this just going to be 100 pages of people whining about Evgenia again?

I'm not whining, no need to roll your eyes. Exhibitions are one thing, competitions are something else. Sue me but I'm not a fan of same old/same old. I'm not a hater, but for someone as dominant as her instead of putting on 3T's at the end of any jump she should focus on her versatility. That's her weakness, not the tech. In a way it reminds me of P/C in dance. They were dominant with the same style. Now that Virtue/Moir are back they are forced out of their comfort zone, and I hope they will find better programs for next year. I'm more than okay with Evgenia winning. I don't see why she cannot do that with something different and new. Maybe go to another choregrapher or something.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
See this thread as a month-long opportunity to voice your concerns....express your excitement and to just mingle with your fellow Ladies figure skating fans. Just don't drink too much. ;)

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
It's always great to hear how someone who has only been in the Seniors for two seasons, and this being the said second season, hasn't shown any versatility! Tsk, tsk, what is she thinking? It's almost as if she is only 17 years old and still slowly developing as both a person and a skater, and it's almost as if it takes time for this to start showing through her expression on ice, in competition programs themselves.

Nathan13

Medalist
For me, Ladies is the least exciting division this year. Evgenia is basically guaranteed a (deserved) win in both the short and the long, because let's be honest, no one else will come close in consistency (okay maybe Osmond could sneak into first in the short, if Evgenia makes rare mistakes). I'm also pretty sure it will be the same shape of a podium as in the last two years, going 1) Russia 2) some other country 3) Russia, with silver going to Canada, Italy, or Japan. I predict 3 spots for Canada, Russia, and Japan, though Japan is probably a bit nervous about Satoko's injury--there is a very slim chance to get three spots if she withdraws, even considering Mai Mihara's 4CC success. I also predict two spots for USA and Italy.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I am really pulling for Laurine Lecavelier. As soon as I saw her SP at the Trophee de France, it was a done deal for me. She's extraordinary. She's a long-shot at Worlds, of course, and she's had shaky competitions at the Torun Cup and the Golden Spin, but she's skated lights out when it counted this past season at the Trophee and at Europeans. She's also upgraded her programs since the beginning of the season and seems to just be getting stronger. Perhaps her top 5 finish at Europeans will help to get her the PCS she deserves at Worlds? (Maybe I'm dreaming about the last one.) I know a podium spot is very unlikely, but I think top 10 is absolutely possible. Maybe top 6 if everything falls into line and she works out that 2A-3T.

But, when will the French Federation make the official selection?

PS, of course I hope Evgenia will win. She's the best right now and it's incredible to watch someone in top form like that who consistently delivers such high quality performances. Hoping Satoko, Anna, Katelyn, and Ivett Toth will be in good shape for worlds as well. They're all fantastic this season. :love:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was doing some research on a separate topic, and discovered this fun fact:

Russia has been on the ladies medal podium 6 times in the past 5 years.

Those medals were won by 6 different ladies.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
I would love to see Satoko on the podium even after an injury. She deserved another medal this year.

Zhenya - good luck and best wishes! I really enjoy her programs and anyways worry about her because she did mistakes in the past that proved that she's human and young and her country is placing too much expectations on her shoulders and I have no idea how this effects her along with all haters that follow her all the time.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am really pulling for Laurine Lecavelier. As soon as I saw her SP at the Trophee de France, it was a done deal for me. She's extraordinary. She's a long-shot at Worlds, of course, and she's had shaky competitions at the Torun Cup and the Golden Spin, but she's skated lights out when it counted this past season at the Trophee and at Europeans. She's also upgraded her programs since the beginning of the season and seems to just be getting stronger. Perhaps her top 5 finish at Europeans will help to get her the PCS she deserves at Worlds? (Maybe I'm dreaming about the last one.) I know a podium spot is very unlikely, but I think top 10 is absolutely possible. Maybe top 6 if everything falls into line and she works out that 2A-3T.

But, when will the French Federation make the official selection?

PS, of course I hope Evgenia will win. She's the best right now and it's incredible to watch someone in top form like that who consistently delivers such high quality performances. Hoping Satoko, Anna, Katelyn, and Ivett Toth will be in good shape for worlds as well. They're all fantastic this season. :love:

Laurine is 21st on the SB list, but she's 12th out of the ladies who'll be at Worlds. The top six of girls who'll be there are:

1 229.71 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS
2 218.33 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN
3 216.47 Anna POGORILAYA RUS
4 212.45 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN
5 210.52 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
6 200.85 Mai MIHARA JPN

Laurine's 188.10 at Europeans is her PB, but Mai's PB was 190.92 before 4CC, so I guess 6th would be a possibility. The other girls ahead of her on the SB who'll be at worlds are Maria, Ashley, Gabby, Wakaba and Mariah, so she'd need to finish ahead of a couple of them for top ten, which is certainly possible.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Laurine is 21st on the SB list, but she's 12th out of the ladies who'll be at Worlds. The top six of girls who'll be there are:

1 229.71 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS
2 218.33 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN
3 216.47 Anna POGORILAYA RUS
4 212.45 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN
5 210.52 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
6 200.85 Mai MIHARA JPN

Laurine's 188.10 at Europeans is her PB, but Mai's PB was 190.92 before 4CC, so I guess 6th would be a possibility. The other girls ahead of her on the SB who'll be at worlds are Maria, Ashley, Gabby, Wakaba and Mariah, so she'd need to finish ahead of a couple of them for top ten, which is certainly possible.

These statistics are awesome. Thank you!
Fingers crossed for a top 10 finish for Laurine. :)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Adding to the statistics that I seem to love researching, here is a snapshot of the best elements done so far by the Ladies this season. Includes best solo and combination jumps by total score and GOE, best step and choreographic sequences and best spins.

BEST ELEMENTS OF THE 2016/2017 SEASON

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Adding to the statistics that I seem to love researching, here is a snapshot of the best elements done so far by the Ladies this season. Includes best solo and combination jumps by total score and GOE, best step and choreographic sequences and best spins.

BEST ELEMENTS OF THE 2016/2017 SEASON

This is really cool! Satoko and Karen get the credit they deserve for their super awesome laybacks (and spins in general), Elenas sassy SP steps get rewarded, and most of all Wakabbys amazing jumps get her the points they should. Yes! :cheer:

Ziotic

Medalist
From my understanding the skating orders are based on world standing and not seasons world ranking making the following the ladies in the final group (at least for the short)?
Rank Points Name
1 4740 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
RUS

2 4606 Satoko MIYAHARA
JPN

3 4289 Anna POGORILAYA
RUS

5 3468 Ashley WAGNER
USA

9 3112 Maria SOTSKOVA
RUS

11 3027 Gabrielle DALEMAN
CAN

The rest on the list won't be attending (I chose Sotskova over Radionova) but it wouldn't change any other skaters.

GoddessMinerva

Rinkside
Can someone help me out here? I was just wondering what rankings or combination of rankings skaters need to achieve in order to gain or keep three spots?(Americans, Canadians, Japanese). Where would Dabin Choi have to place to get Korea two spots again, or I guess any country with single representation?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
This is really cool! Satoko and Karen get the credit they deserve for their super awesome laybacks (and spins in general), Elenas sassy SP steps get rewarded, and most of all Wakabbys amazing jumps get her the points they should. Yes! :cheer:

You listed all the worthy ones (sans Gabby Daleman's flawless 3T-3T). But the remaining entries in this table are LOL. Major LOLz at Kaetlyn Osmond's 3Lz getting +1.80.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can someone help me out here? I was just wondering what rankings or combination of rankings skaters need to achieve in order to gain or keep three spots?(Americans, Canadians, Japanese). Where would Dabin Choi have to place to get Korea two spots again, or I guess any country with single representation?

For 2 or 3 skater: The top placements for
3 spots = must be 13 or less (1+12/2+11/3+10/4+9/5+8/6+7)
2 spots = must be 28 or less (Everyone who competes gets 18 points at least regardless of ranking; Everyone who makes the free skate gets 16 points regardless of ranking so basically placements of 1-15 would matter. So if you only have one skater in the free skate, that skater must finish in the top 10 to keep two spots. If the two (or top two of three) skaters make the free skate, as long as both skaters don't finish below 13th place, two spots will be maintained).

For 1 skater - like Dabin Choi
Top 2 = 3 spots
Top 10 = 2 spots
11th or lower = 1 spot.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
You listed all the worthy ones (sans Gabby Daleman's flawless 3T-3T). But the remaining entries in this table are LOL. Major LOLz at Kaetlyn Osmond's 3Lz getting +1.80.

I decided to focus on the positive ;) Kaetlyns 3Lz is such an awesome jump itself - the power, ice coverage, speed coming out - but yes, it's still ! territory... :slink:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

Actually, 1.80 was on her 3F-3T combo. She only got 1.70 for the 3Lz. :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
The only skater I feel truly confident in right now (and this may change with the wind direction) is Evgenia. Girl. Is. Solid.
I do think Anna will do well, she's really remained confident even with faced with small mistakes. My two bigger concerns that have crept in are for Satoko and the state of her injury and Kaetlyn after her long at 4CC. Ashley will probably do a solid job and place anywhere from 3-5, though my gut says the US will drop to two spots.
The one who can really shake things up is Mai! She may not be my cup of tea just yet, you can't deny her talent.
Hoping all the ladies stay free of injury and illness :)