2017 Worlds Dance pre-event thread | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Dance pre-event thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Who will end up on the Ice Dance podium at Helsinki? Express your thoughts on this (and other things) here!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
VM first (yawn). PC or Shibs second; CB third or fourth. I wish VM would just get lives and move on.

what's wrong with being determined and working hard to come back to competition? If they felt a desire to do this in their lives, this is their free choice and a huge gift for the discipline. The moved on and it brought them to this decision about competing again. And if I remember myself how many critic, doubts, bashing them even before they stepped on ice about everything, placing them already as a bronze medal in 2018 OG - they responded the best way they could.

They should not be blamed for being ambitious people, using their skill and talent to enrich the sport and getting results they have. Their top shape and great results should not be the point of blame, if others are making mistakes.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
VM are favorites to win and should do so. The bigger question mark for me is if PC have finally figured out how to temper their nerves and deliver two clean skates... or will their recurring mistakes (especially in the SD) give the Shibutani's the opening they have been consistently creeping towards?

The fight for pewter (IMO) is between CB, CL and WP... and that should round out the top 6.

Nathan13

Medalist
The fight for pewter (IMO) is between CB, CL and WP... and that should round out the top 6.

I don't think C/B are necessarily off the podium--I think they could definitely surprise and place high on the podium, because they are going to peak at the perfect time. I also think that 4-9/10 is going to be the more exciting part of the competition. Bobrova/Soloviev, Gilles/Poirier, and Hubbel/Donohue are all capable of coming out ahead of that group.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
I don't think C/B are necessarily off the podium--I think they could definitely surprise and place high on the podium, because they are going to peak at the perfect time. I also think that 4-9/10 is going to be the more exciting part of the competition. Bobrova/Soloviev, Gilles/Poirier, and Hubbel/Donohue are all capable of coming out ahead of that group.

Nationally, CB are still highly favored (as seen with their huge FD score), but internationally, their scores haven't been that strong and I kind of expect that trend to continue at Worlds. I just think VM, PC or SS have locked the top 3 spots, barring any colossal mistakes.

And I say all this as someone who really likes CB.

sarama

Medalist
I'm not super accustomed with the new rules for the draws, but are Virtue/Moir out of the top two groups for the SD? (they are 15th in world standing, 12th only taking into account the couples who should be in Helsinki)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not super accustomed with the new rules for the draws, but are Virtue/Moir out of the top two groups for the SD? (they are 15th in world standing, 12th only taking into account the couples who should be in Helsinki)

Yeah the last two group would be the top 10 couples. They should be in a later part of their warm-up group since they'll likely still be in the "draw last" grou. I don't think it will matter too much for them though.

sarama

Medalist
Yeah the last two group would be the top 10 couples. They should be in a later part of their warm-up group since they'll likely still be in the "draw last" grou. I don't think it will matter too much for them though.

Thank you, I thought so, but I needed some confirmation!
Yes, it won't make a huge difference, but I think the direct comparison has really been in their favour this year, and they won't have it here. Anyway, there was nothing they could have done.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tried to figure out the groups for the SD:

1st group: Tran/Ambrulevicius, Smart/Diaz, Ogloblina/Zhirnov, Kozmava/Shumski
2nd group: Alessandrini/Souquet, Jakushina/Nevskiy, Fear/Gibson, Mysliveckova/Csolley
3rd group: Lorenz/Polizoakis, Kavaliova/Bieliaiev, Törn/Partnanen, Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal, Kuzmichova/Sinicyn
4th group: Wang/Liu, Agafonova/Ucar, Muramoto/Reed, Lauriault/Le Gac, Min/Gamelin
5th group: Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Tobias/Tkachenko, Virtue/Moir, Nazarova/Nikitin, Kaliszek/Spodyriev
6th group: Capellini/Lanotte, Bobrova/Soloviev, Guinard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, Stepanova/Bukin
7th group: Chock/Bates, Shibutanis, Hubbell/Donohue, Papadakis/Cizeron, Weaver/Poje

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Tried to figure out the groups for the SD:

1st group: Tran/Ambrulevicius, Smart/Diaz, Ogloblina/Zhirnov, Kozmava/Shumski
2nd group: Alessandrini/Souquet, Jakushina/Nevskiy, Fear/Gibson, Mysliveckova/Csolley
3rd group: Lorenz/Polizoakis, Kavaliova/Bieliaiev, Törn/Partnanen, Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal, Kuzmichova/Sinicyn
4th group: Wang/Liu, Agafonova/Ucar, Muramoto/Reed, Lauriault/Le Gac, Min/Gamelin
5th group: Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Tobias/Tkachenko, Virtue/Moir, Nazarova/Nikitin, Kaliszek/Spodyriev
6th group: Capellini/Lanotte, Bobrova/Soloviev, Guinard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, Stepanova/Bukin
7th group: Chock/Bates, Shibutanis, Hubbell/Donohue, Papadakis/Cizeron, Weaver/Poje

Aren't first 3 groups completely random? Like not based on World Ranking? You can't really know if someone who is in lower half of Ranking will be skating 1st or 15th... World Ranking applies to later groups in my understanding unless something has changed from last year. (I mean, Mikhail Kolyada was skating second last season in Men singles SP, because he wasn't in higher half of Ranking, and lower groups were random order and he picked number 2.)

TMC

Record Breaker
I can't believe I'm going to see the Shibs' FD in person in just over three weeks! :dance3:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aren't first 3 groups completely random? Like not based on World Ranking? You can't really know if someone who is in lower half of Ranking will be skating 1st or 15th... World Ranking applies to later groups in my understanding unless something has changed from last year. (I mean, Mikhail Kolyada was skating second last season in Men singles SP, because he wasn't in higher half of Ranking, and lower groups were random order and he picked number 2.)

Oops that sounds right. So more like this?

Groups 1-3:
Tran/Ambrulevicius
Smart/Diaz
Ogloblina/Zhirnov
Kozmava/Shumski
Alessandrini/Souquet
Jakushina/Nevskiy
Fear/Gibson
Mysliveckova/Csolley
Lorenz/Polizoakis
Kavaliova/Bieliaiev
Törn/Partnanen
Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal
Kuzmichova/Sinicyn

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Basically the 4th and 5th group will be random also, but they will draw later than the folks that would draw groups 1-3.

So the first 16 (through Muramoto/Reed) (or 17 folks, through Lauriat/Le Gac) would draw for all of groups 1-3 and some of group four (either the first 3 or 4 spots)

The second half, who are not ranked high enough for the last two groups would draw for the last spot (or two) in group 4 and group 5:
Lauriault/Le Gac (who might be in the draw earlier group)
Min/Gamelin
Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
Tobias/Tkachenko
Virtue/Moir
Nazarova/Nikitin
Kaliszek/Spodyriev

Then the 6-10 highest ranked teams would draw for group 6
Then the top five ranked teams would draw for group 7

GF2445

Record Breaker
For the last couple of seasons a Short Dance score between 50-54 was needed to make the top 20.
This year, I think dance couples need to be in the very high 50s to low 60s to make the cut (if everyone skates the best).

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Basically the 4th and 5th group will be random also, but they will draw later than the folks that would draw groups 1-3.

So the first 16 (through Muramoto/Reed) (or 17 folks, through Lauriat/Le Gac) would draw for all of groups 1-3 and some of group four (either the first 3 or 4 spots)

The second half, who are not ranked high enough for the last two groups would draw for the last spot (or two) in group 4 and group 5:
Lauriault/Le Gac (who might be in the draw earlier group)
Min/Gamelin
Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
Tobias/Tkachenko
Virtue/Moir
Nazarova/Nikitin
Kaliszek/Spodyriev

Then the 6-10 highest ranked teams would draw for group 6
Then the top five ranked teams would draw for group 7

Somehow I tend to forget Virtue/Moir are not in top of Ranking yet! :drama: I really hope the Team Poland won't be skating after them....

LadyB

Record Breaker
I also think that 4-9/10 is going to be the more exciting part of the competition.

Totally agree. Especially since some of them have got what it takes to make it even to the podium. Should be a very exciting event. Looking forward to B/S, G/P, C/L and S/B. Best of luck to the WeaPos and Shibs. Sorry, but V/M to me are just :yawn:

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
This is the competition that I'm going to be the most nervous about. After the "excitement" at Europeans, I'm going be on pins and needles. :gaah:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This is the competition that I'm going to be the most nervous about. After the "excitement" at Europeans, I'm going be on pins and needles. :gaah:

to be honest, top 10 could evolve in so many ways I can't even....:drama:

I just wish that everyone will go clean and strong - no falls, botched lifts, stumbles, weird twizzle fails and then I wish judging will reflect on actual performances...

deep in my gut I'm expecting a close-knit top 7 or even 8 after SD (if everyone goes clean with same levels, sort of) and A LOT of teams going above 70 pts and regarding FD, it could come about execution...