2017 Worlds Pairs pre-event thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs pre-event thread

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Seguin/Bilodeau are making their senior Worlds return next week.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
This is going to be the most exciting event, IMO. So many potential contenders for the top spot, not to mention the other two places on the podium! T/M, S/M, and S/H are the favorites, but we can't count out St/Kl, D/R, J/C, Y/Z, P/J, either. They're all probably not likely to contend for gold, but could catch a silver or bronze, depending on how the favorites do.

I hope we don't end up with a competition like last year, where D/R won because no one else skated clean. Not that I have a problem with D/R winning - but give me more clean skates!

I really, really like T/M, but it'd be a shame for them to win this year with such blah programs. Taking a loss on PCS compared to S/H and S/M could give Mozer the push to give them better programs for next year.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Sui and Han have my favourite programs by far. I hope they have clean skates and take the Gold. I'd also like to see French Team and Aljona and Bruno on the podium. Well, a girl can dream can't she :)

EDIT: It would be a crying shame if T/M were to take gold for that horrendous LP, the short programme is okay, but I literally cringe or take a break once they're on. With all the great choreographers in Russia, how could they do that to them, or are they really waiting for the Olympics to give them better programs? :drama::palmf:

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sui and Han have my favourite programs by far. I hope they have clean skates and take the Gold. I'd also like to see French Team and Aljona and Bruno on the podium. Well, a girl can dream can't she :)

EDIT: It would be a crying shame if T/M were to take gold for that horrendous LP, the short programme is okay, but I literally cringe or take a break once they're on. With all the great choreographers in Russia, how could they do that to them, or are they really waiting for the Olympics to give them better programs? :drama::palmf:

We share the same dream podium :cheer: I wouldn't mind it in that order either!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is going to be the most exciting event, IMO. So many potential contenders for the top spot, not to mention the other two places on the podium! T/M, S/M, and S/H are the favorites, but we can't count out St/Kl, D/R, J/C, Y/Z, P/J, either. They're all probably not likely to contend for gold, but could catch a silver or bronze, depending on how the favorites do.

I hope we don't end up with a competition like last year, where D/R won because no one else skated clean. Not that I have a problem with D/R winning - but give me more clean skates!

I really, really like T/M, but it'd be a shame for them to win this year with such blah programs. Taking a loss on PCS compared to S/H and S/M could give Mozer the push to give them better programs for next year.

P/J won't be there since China only has 2 spots.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's not their debut - they were at Worlds' two years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_bsMo7rm4

Oh you're right! I forgot they did both senior and junior worlds that season and won the silver at JWC. Pretty crazy.

Well I hope they have a good return.

Denney / Frazier believe they can be top 8. What do you all think? With 3 Russians, 3 Canadians, 2 Chinese, S/M, and J/C as well as Scimeca/Knierim is a top 8 possible for them?

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh you're right! I forgot they did both senior and junior worlds that season and won the silver at JWC. Pretty crazy.

Well I hope they have a good return.

Denney / Frazier believe they can be top 8. What do you all think? With 3 Russians, 3 Canadians, 2 Chinese, S/M, and J/C as well as Scimeca/Knierim is a top 8 possible for them?

Possible? Maybe. Likely? I don't think so. I think some of those teams would have to mess up pretty badly for it to happen. I don't think it's bad to have high aspirations, though, and aim to do one's best.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Really looking forward to the Pairs event, it has the potential to be an outstanding competition. It's going to be very tough to make the podium. I would have 5 teams battling it out T/M, S/K, S/H, S/M and D/R. Personally the Russian style is my favourite type of skating, so I really want them to do well.

My favourite Pair is S/K their skate at the 2015 GPF is one of my favourite skates and for me is the best programme that I have seen this quad. Sadly they have struggled this season coming back from injury but they had improved in Europeans from Russian Nationals so I am hoping that continues to Helsinki. At their best they can win, they stand out for everyone else. T/M have really stepped it up this season and victories in the GPF and Euro must give them a huge amount of confidence. Their short has been very consistent while the free is not as secure and I don't feel it is the best showcase for them.

When S/H were in juniors I was not a fan, I thought they were very sloppy (her especially) but they have really blossomed in the Senior ranks. For the past 2 seasons I would have them as the gold medal winners but on both occasions D/R upstaged them. I expect them on the podium but I'm not so sure I see them winning, I prefer last years programme to this years. I thought S/M were gifted worlds bronze last year and felt that the judges were giving welcome back marks to Aliona. I like their programmes this year but I feel they are a very unbalanced team, he is their as a prop for her and he is not up to her level but I wouldn't be surprised if they won the gold.

I'm not a fan of D/R they have pushed things on technically but the PCS side is a long way behind. I think the free this year does them no favours but one thing for certain is they are fighters and they will not go down without a fight. I wouldn't write them off. J/C had a superb Europeans, can they do it again? I don't know, with all that I have seen I find it very hard to like him, I worry a bit about the dynamics of the team. When things go well (as in euros) it's all great, if there are problems they are fighting with each other.

It will be very competitive to make the Top 10, Russian no. 3's, two Canadians, two Americans, the Italians. I hope both the Czechs and Aussies skate well and if possible both secure Olympic spots but again it won't be easy.