2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Men's Chat | Golden Skate

2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Men's Chat

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meant to be a nice place to discuss the event before the start orders are available...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Blogger Sarah Rasher published the first half of her "Who's who" guide for the men's singles competitors at Junior Worlds (http://thefinersports.com/2017/03/2017-junior-worlds-field-guide-men-part-1/), and Part 1 includes the following:

Dmitri Aliev
Kevin Aymoz
Donovan Carrillo
Jun Hwan Cha
Alexei Krasnozhon
Sihyeong Lee
Tangxu Li
Yuheng Li
Irakli Maysuradze
Nicolas Nadeau
Graham Newberry

sheetz

Record Breaker
We need a quad counter for the FS. Zhou and Samohin will probably got for 3 quads. Anyone else?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We need a quad counter for the FS. Zhou and Samohin will probably got for 3 quads. Anyone else?

Samarin...? Nic Nadeau? Conrad Orzel? But not sure about anyone. Will be quite few guys who will go for at least one quad.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Medals for Cha and Aliev to lose. Who will be guy #3 on the podium? Supposedly whoever has a great FS. Hopefully more guys are clean this time around than last.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the 3 canadian boys will bring at least one quad... and right now, based on known layouts from nationals, each one of them would present a different quad.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At the Bavarian Open, it seems that Nadeau had planned to do two quads in the LP, but ended up botching both attempts---the quad loop became a triple loop with a fall, and he doubled what should've been a quad toe. I'm not sure if he'll keep this new configuration, or just stick to the previous one.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe Nic has ever landed a clean quad in competition; the two-footed quad loop at Canadians is his best attempt, as far as I know.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Everything's before him then! But I think the title and podium will be between Russians, Canadians, Jun Hwan Cha, Vincent Zhou and defending Champion Daniel Samohin. So many possibiliteis, it's even more exciting than last year! I just hope the Free Program won't be a splatfest like last season...

MeMeg

Spectator
I've just read a post on the Entries page that said "Daniel Samohin no longer listed! "

Does that mean adding two quads is enough to win the gold ?

da96103

Record Breaker
the 3 canadian boys will bring at least one quad... and right now, based on known layouts from nationals, each one of them would present a different quad.

Who is matched with which quads?

(tried to open the Canadian nationals website but it displays squiggles on my Mac)

sarama

Medalist
I'm so sorry Samohin is not going! This season has been really rough for him. Even without him this competition will be absolutely crazy, not that last year wasn't wild and unpredictable :)

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who is matched with which quads?

Nicolas Nadeau - quad loop (and also a quad toe if he keeps the layout from the Bavarian Open)
Roman Sadovsky - quad Salchow
Conrad Orzel - quad toe

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Part 2 of Sarah Rasher's guide to the men at Junior Worlds is now available (http://thefinersports.com/2017/03/2017-junior-worlds-field-guide-men-part-2/), and it includes the following:

Conrad Orzel
Yaroslav Paniot
Alexander Petrov
Matteo Rizzo
Roman Sadovsky
Alexander Samarin
Daniel Samohin
Koshiro Shimada
Kazuki Tomono
Andrew Torgashev
Vincent Zhou

I am not sure that Sarah keeps up with the Canadian men. Conrad competed at Challenge and barely won the bronze, beating Iliya Kovler by 0.02 points (Iliya beat him in the FS). The Nationals PCS speculation also gives me a giggle because she goes onto to explain some of Conrad's issues. :unsure: Also, Roman's biggest issue with the 3A is popping it. It's the jump which he pops most frequently.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Planned Program Content Checklists are posted.

Quads planned:

Nadeau 4T
Orzel 4T
Sadovsky 4S
Samohin 4T+3T, 4S, 4T
Tomono 4S
Cha 4S+2T, 4S
Aliev 4T
Samarin 4T+3T, 4T
Paniot 4T+3T, 4T
Krasnozhon 4Lo
Torgashev 4T+2T, 4T
Zhou 4Lz, 4S+3T, 4S

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I am not sure that Sarah keeps up with the Canadian men. Conrad competed at Challenge and barely won the bronze, beating Iliya Kovler by 0.02 points (Iliya beat him in the FS). The Nationals PCS speculation also gives me a giggle because she goes onto to explain some of Conrad's issues. :unsure: Also, Roman's biggest issue with the 3A is popping it. It's the jump which he pops most frequently.

Conrad got higher PCS at his last JGP than he did at Nationals where he probably skated better. If he lands his jumps here I don't see his PCS holding him back too much because the international judges don't seem to view them as that weak. I also think he's improved a lot in that area since challenge.

As for Roman, he used to pop a lot of jumps (mainly axel and lutz) but this season he seems to have broken that bad habit and is rotating most of his jumps in competiton. The downside to that is that he's fallen a lot, but under IJS falling is less costly than popping so it's still an improvement IMO.

Also I think Graham Newberry has a 4s that he might try here.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Link to planned program layouts have been uploaded to ISU's WJC site (PPC checklist)
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...017/03/world-junior-figure-skating-champs-tpe

I noticed that Samohin, Petrov and Samarin all don't show this season's Junior required Loop jump planned for their SPs. I'm wondering if this is their Senior competition layouts and just an oversight.

ETA: But Samohin and Samarin both had Quads planned in their Senior competition SPs, right? Are the rules just "relaxed" for WJC? :scratch2::think:

Oops~ Posted in a rush and hadn't noticed that sheetz had already linked the PPC checklist. Sorry~

Last edited: