2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Men's Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Men's Chat

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am not sure that Sarah keeps up with the Canadian men.

I noticed on her blog that she doesn't have any posts about the Canadian Nationals, but she has several for the US Nationals, so I'm not surprised that she may have gotten a couple details wrong about the Canadian men. Still, I think her guide is handy for fans who don't normally follow junior-level events.

Nadeau 4T

I guess Nic felt that his quad loop wasn't consistent enough, but he has never landed a clean quad toe in competition, either (to the best of my knowledge). If he's only going to try to one quad, isn't it better to do the loop than the toe because the loop is worth more points?

LRK

Record Breaker
Link to planned program layouts have been uploaded to ISU's WJC site (PPC checklist)
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...017/03/world-junior-figure-skating-champs-tpe

I noticed that Samohin, Petrov and Samarin all don't show this season's Junior required Loop jump planned for their SPs. I'm wondering if this is their Senior competition layouts and just an oversight.

ETA: But Samohin and Samarin both had Quads planned in their Senior competition SPs, right? Are the rules just "relaxed" for WJC? :scratch2::think:

For whatever reason I'm unable to access the PPC Checklist, but I'm guessing that any anomalies are just a result of people not bothering to update their planned content.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Link to planned program layouts have been uploaded to ISU's WJC site (PPC checklist)
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...017/03/world-junior-figure-skating-champs-tpe

I noticed that Samohin, Petrov and Samarin all don't show this season's Junior required Loop jump planned for their SPs. I'm wondering if this is their Senior competition layouts and just an oversight.

ETA: But Samohin and Samarin both had Quads planned in their Senior competition SPs, right? Are the rules just "relaxed" for WJC? :scratch2::think:

Does Alexei K. of the USA plan a 4Lo for his FP?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I'm dipping my toe in the junior pond.

I'll watch Andrew Torgeshev because I'm on his bandwagon now.

If anyone else skates a great performance... and I mean GREAT... let me know and I'll catch the YouTube.

PS. I mean "after the fact." I'm not interested in pre-event hype. Only in what's delivered.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Conrad got higher PCS at his last JGP than he did at Nationals where he probably skated better. If he lands his jumps here I don't see his PCS holding him back too much because the international judges don't seem to view them as that weak. I also think he's improved a lot in that area since challenge.

As for Roman, he used to pop a lot of jumps (mainly axel and lutz) but this season he seems to have broken that bad habit and is rotating most of his jumps in competiton. The downside to that is that he's fallen a lot, but under IJS falling is less costly than popping so it's still an improvement IMO.

Conrad went clean in the FS at JGP Dresden while he did not at Nationals. But he was also injured in the warm up so that may account for some issues. Regardless, his PCS internationally is pretty low compared to top junior skaters like Cha. In Dresden for a clean FS he was +11 points back in PCS of Cha, for example. His FS PCS barely went up at Bavarian. I like the guy, but I see his need to work on the PCS. It seems to be some kind of recurring issue for skaters who train with Joanne McLeod.

This season Roman popped a 2A to a 1A at Golden Spin. He has been falling more often, as you say. We'll have to see which Roman shows up to JWC after this injury.

I noticed on her blog that she doesn't have any posts about the Canadian Nationals, but she has several for the US Nationals, so I'm not surprised that she may have gotten a couple details wrong about the Canadian men. Still, I think her guide is handy for fans who don't normally follow junior-level events.

Taken with a grain of salt. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

I guess Nic felt that his quad loop wasn't consistent enough, but he has never landed a clean quad toe in competition, either (to the best of my knowledge). If he's only going to try to one quad, isn't it better to do the loop than the toe because the loop is worth more points?

planned layout can change :) go 4t and 4 loop lol :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
planned layout can change :) go 4t and 4 loop lol :)

Pretty sure Nathan Chen's planned layout for 4CCs didn't have the fifth quad in his free even though everyone was pretty sure he was planning on doing it. Anything can happen

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Someone asked if 2 quads were enough to win. That's the answer. There is more to winning than landing 2 or 3 quads.

Sure, but Daniel won last year because he landed 3 quads cleanly in the FS while every heavy favorites bombed.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sure, but Daniel won last year because he landed 3 quads cleanly in the FS while every heavy favorites bombed.

Well, that's the point. He isn't guaranteed to do that again and the other men aren't all guaranteed to bomb. I hope it will be an interesting competition and I would like to think that Dima, Cha Jun, etc. still have a good chance to win even without 3 quads.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Good luck baby Jun :luv17: and Dima too, please do not headcase boy, remember GPF, you can do it.

sheetz

Record Breaker

Well, even if the favorites hadn't bombed it would have still been tough to beat Daniel last year. His winning score of 236.65 was the 2nd highest junior score of the season, just behind Nathan's 236.76. The other competitors would have needed PBs in order to win.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Personally, I'd jump around like a crazily happy little kangaroo if my dream podium happens - Dima, Dany and Jun (preferably even in that order) :luv17: But Vincent is very likely going to be on that podium, so probably no crazy jumping around from me - but I'll be happy if they all manage to skate well. Andrew T. is another I'm looking out for, he's so promising!

Good luck to everybody and no injuries and splatfests please!
Saying that already now, since I'll sleep through most of this :biggrin: