2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Dance Chat | Golden Skate

2017 Junior Worlds Preevent Dance Chat

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meant to be a nice place to discuss the event before the start orders are available...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Had not realized it's so soon already! I think ID event is Parsons sibs to lose this year. They're on fire this season :) But as always, anything can happen...

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
McNamara/Carpenter should be fired up here. I hope they're gunning for a redemption from how their season went.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
McNamara/Carpenter should be fired up here. I hope they're gunning for a redemption from how their season went.

I hope so too! Mainly because I'd rather see a podium when the better ones win than the ones who made less mistakes... I wonder if there will be any suprise on podium, or the podium will be same as last year.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want both the Parson siblings and McNamara/Carpenter to get onto the podium. Like that my biggest hope.

Look like the Parsons are most likely going to win it, but I want those two teams to finish in the top 2. Yeah they're my faves of dance lol. I want them to skate their hearts out and remember LEVELS LEVELS LEVELS LEVELS!!!!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
If not for loboda and drozd could be a US sweep. Still might be a US sweep.

Carreira/Ponomarenko skated very strong in US Nationals so it's possible.
Then again, I gonna assume that RusFed will do anything to keep Loboda/Drozd on the podium (which yes, they deserve anyway due to their consistent skating this season)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Carreira/Ponomarenko skated very strong in US Nationals so it's possible.
Then again, I gonna assume that RusFed will do anything to keep Loboda/Drozd on the podium (which yes, they deserve anyway due to their consistent skating this season)

RusFed power in dance is collapsing vividly but I'm sure L/D have the talent to be on the podium legitimately.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Shpilevaya/Smirnov are not bad either. They might cause the upset.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Hoping to see the Parsons and Loboda/Drozd do really well. I don't care a bit for M/C's programs this season and they haven't been consistent. Would be interesting to see if they get passed by another team.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm looking forward to seeing how Lajoie / Lagha do. It must be cool for them to be training in Montreal with Tessa and Scott, Gabriella and Guillaume and Madi and Zach.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If an upset happens, I think it will be because one of the Junior World medal teams from last season makes a mistake rather than because someone else steps up. (I like C&P and think they have a lot of potential, but I do not mind waiting to see them rise next season. Don't want it to happen because of someone else's mistakes). Hoping we have a GREAT competition and that all the top teams skate their best--that we can see these programs at the level they were meant to reach all season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Random fact:

I was looking up information on the JGP wikipedia pages today & noticed that national flags for all the dance teams were very well color-coordinated. Ice dance teams from four countries won all the dance medals on the JGP this season. All four countries--U.S., Russia, France, & Czech Republic--have the same three colors on their flags.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
One thing about junior ice dance is that it still seems to have that old 'wait your turn' thing going on. I highly doubt you'll see a team go from 13th to first in one season. Or even 7th to 1st. Though next season should be a bit more interesting as quite a few teams age out. This is the last time we'll see a few of these teams skate as juniors...

Marta25

Medalist
One thing about junior ice dance is that it still seems to have that old 'wait your turn' thing going on. I highly doubt you'll see a team go from 13th to first in one season. Or even 7th to 1st. Though next season should be a bit more interesting as quite a few teams age out. This is the last time we'll see a few of these teams skate as juniors...

4 of the teams who qualified for the JGPF have to move up next season.

Skoptsova/Aleshin impressed me at Russian Nats, so I hope for a good placement for them. Top 8 would be great and would set them up nicely for next season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
One thing about junior ice dance is that it still seems to have that old 'wait your turn' thing going on. I highly doubt you'll see a team go from 13th to first in one season.

Probably not. But we may see some young teams burst onto the scene and finish higher than 13th next season.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nah the 13th was for last season. Though Lajoie/Lagha, who placed 13th last year, do have a good shot to make top 10 if they don't make major mistakes.

yyzskater

On the Ice

Quick question... Why does it seem more common in ice dance for skaters to age out rather than opt for moving to Senior of their own accord?

Also, why are there no just-age eligible dance team? Having 13/14 year olds in jr seems rather common in singles, but ice dancers always seem on the older end of juniors.

blackey

On the Ice
Quick question... Why does it seem more common in ice dance for skaters to age out rather than opt for moving to Senior of their own accord?

Also, why are there no just-age eligible dance team? Having 13/14 year olds in jr seems rather common in singles, but ice dancers always seem on the older end of juniors.

i think dance is just something you really need time to build upon. I feel like dance is only event that still have some 6.0 vibe left, compare to others dance is the most subjective event. It's not 'you got the jump you got the score' that kind of deal. I don't think we've seen any dance team really stand out at just-age-eligible. And the partnership might be another thing to hold many of them back, not everyone is lucky enough to find their perfect match from the beginning. Also a very important part of dance is the "chemistry", which seems very hard for 13/14 to show off. That's something has to wait and only come with ages. v/m is the only case I could think about who really showing some unreal quality from very early of the age.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

With the two top American teams, I assume it had a lot to do with the strength of senior US ice dance, but I don't really know. I looked at the top nine WJC entries in terms of PBs (nine because I was mostly interested in which teams had higher PBs than Lajoie/Lagha). The three American and Russian entries, Abachkina/Thauron, Kuzmichova/Sinicyn and L/L. Five of them will age out next season, the two Russian teams behind Loboda/Drozd each have one more season of junior eligibility and then L/L and C/P have two seasons each.
ETA: L/L actually have 3 years

I know when Tessa and Scott made there debut at WJC (the same season their JGP debut), Tessa was 14 and Scott was 16, based on the current rules, I believe they would have been age eligible the previous season (I don't know if they were the same back then). The Shibs competed on the JGP circuit as soon as Maia was eligible and went to WJC that season (they were 14 and 17). D/W debuted at the 2004 WJC like V/M and were 17 and 16, though they had competed on the JGP circuit the season before. P/C went to their first WJC in 2010, when they were 14 and 15. They would have been age eligible the year before I believe. I/K were 15 and 18 at their first WJC.

ETA And I agree with you Blackey that V/M were ones who stood out early on. Which isn't that surprising I guess, given that they were the first ever (and so far only) ice dancers to win gold at their first Olympics and the youngest to win the title too (and they will be for at least the next five years, since P/C would be older if they were to win). I remember how impressed the commentators were by them at their Worlds debut when they came sixth in 2007 at 17 and 19.

Last edited: