breadstal

Record Breaker
I haven't seen any Ice Dance and most of Pairs :hopelessness:

1. Marin Honda SP+LP
2. Eunsoo Lim SP
3. Junhwan Cha SP
4. Vincent Zhou LP
5. Alina Zagitova SP+LP

Honorable mentions: Daniel Samohin's LP, Yuna Shiraiwa SP+LP, Gao Yumeng/ Xie Zhong SP, Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/ Harley Windsor LP

atsumiri

Record Breaker
1) Alina FP
2) Alina SP
3) Aliev FP
4) Cha SP
5) Lord Samarin SP
6) Marin Honda FP

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
1. Dmitri Aliev SP
2. Dmitri Aliev LP
3. Daniel Samohin LP
4. Alina SP/LP
5. Marin SP/LP (please get more original programs next season tho)

honorable mention - Cha Jun Hwan & Kaori (don't like her programs either, but I like her)

Skye

On the Ice
In no particular order:
Daniel Albert Naurits SP
Jun Hwan Cha SP
Starr Andrews FS
Kaori Sakamoto FS
Carreira/Ponomarenko FD

Special mention goes to:
The German pairs - just too cute to be true!!!

yuki

Final Flight
Disclaimer: Did not watch pairs/dance

Jun Hwan Cha SP+FS
Marin Honda FS
Dmitri Aliev SP
Kaori Sakamoto SP
Vincent Zhou SP

Honorable mentions: Alina Zagitova FS, Eunsoo Lim SP, Nic Nadeau SP

Last edited:

loiza

On the Ice
1- Marin Honda FS
2- Eunsoo Lim SP
3- Marin Honda SP
4- Cha Jun-hwan SP
5- Alexandrovskaya/Windsor FS

guitarist

On the Ice
No particular order:

Jun Hwan Cha SP/FS
Kaori Sakamoto SP
Eunsoo Lim SP
Dimitri Aliev SP
Marin Honda FS

Honorable mention goes to Donovan Carrillo's SP because it's far, far from polished, but I just love his attitude and personality. Was very sad he didn't make it to the FS.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
I didn't watch pairs and ice dance so :

1) Alina Zagitova FS + SP
2) Eunsoo Lim SP

3) Dmitriy Aliev SP
4) Daniel Samohin FS
5) Lord Samarin FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
except from the Canadian boys, i hadn't seen anyone before... yeah yeah... not everyone follows juniors... i had heard about the stars... but not bothered looking at JGP events...

so to me, this was more about the "new experience" of watching junior skating rather than finding new favourites.

I unfortunately haven't been able to watch the pairs... passed out...

but from pairs : I am just happy that the discipline has newcomers who are strong and will fare well in a few years in seniors... it was nice to see Australia win a gold medal.

from dance : this is a very fascinating discipline at the junior level.... the top 10 is very tight... and any mistake has huge effects on ranking, just like at seniors...

I enjoyed Lajoie and Lagha.. I thought they were very good, especially in the SD. Considering their age, that was the team that impressed me the most, as well as Carreira Ponomarenko. Of course, as long time fans of Klimova Ponomarenko... soft spot for him. You can see he was raised by champions ;) Parsons : what I liked to see is how close they skate to each other... many senior teams could learn from them about that aspect.

Ladies : Marin and Kaori were my favourites and they are so different. One is elegance and the other exuberance. It was incredibly exciting to watch this event. Of course, the 3 russian girls are extremely strong. I know it's been said a billion times, but even though i have huge respect for Alina's performance and strength, i didn't enjoy watching her spin and step around for 2 minutes before the first jump and then, okay wow... 3lz-3loop!!! WOW... but then she had no time left to really skate and she would do a few steps into the next jump.... ugh.... and then again... 7 times in a row before the last spin... Fine, the rules are encouraging her to do this, she get more points, but I felt there was NO program at all because of that... It reminded me when poor Keegan Messing had to fix his laces at ACI, nearly losing 40 minutes of his FP and cramming all his jumps in the last little bit not to lose too much TES.

Men : the discipline I found the most interesting to watch, probably because I am more invested in Canadian men, knew a couple of the other men from 4CC or ACI or whatever... What I liked about the SP is that in junior men, they cannot do quads and if it's sort of annoying and predictable that all skaters do the same jumps... ( same with ladies, senior and junior) it allows us to see a lot more clean skating and attempts at developing the whole package.... this didn't happen in the LP... sigh.
Highlights for me : the 3 Canadian boys going clean in the SP... I didn't expect that... it was very refreshing to see that. I have started Conrad's fan fest because I just love how he springs into his jumps and if very young still and without as much experience and pedigree as some of the other skaters, I believe he has a lot of potential, granted he doesn't go too often to Joanne and gets better choreo... He was also very strong in the LP...

Men : first time seeing baby Cha. I reserve the right to change my mind later on... but I am not jumping on the bandwagon yet. I didn't quit connect with him yet.
Daniel : oh Daniel.... After seeing you at ACI, i don't know what to think... and yeah... glad you finished your season on a positive note but there is a need for him to go back to the drawing board. Knowing that Nic and Roman were injured or coming back from recent injuries, i didn't expect them to be in top 10 but after their SP, I believed.. oh well... hope they do better next season... Seeing Nic slay his LP at Nationals and do so poorly here was heartbreaking to say the least... Roman had issues at Nationals so I wasn't too surprised.

My favourite skater from all of these juniors was Aliev. I liked his style. By far my favourite. However, I am not sure that aside Vincent, any of these guys top guys can compete in seniors as it has become a quad fest and if you don't have the quads, there are plenty of better skilled seniors in the PCS department who would push back these kids... So my take on the men's event is : how are they going to develop and make the senior ranks? Will they succeed?

In the end : It was a nice experience. i had no idea some posters were as intensely attached to the young kids as they are to the stars of the sport... it was interesting. Lots of time and passion for figure skating to those who follow both seniors and juniors year long.

So top five?

Again the feel of the junior world which has some different dynamics from senior
skaters :

Aliev, Sakamoto, Honda, Lajoie and Lagha and of course, bravo Conrad Orzel for dealing with such pressure in your first big international event.

blackey

On the Ice
- Marin Honda FP. my favorite! so underscored.
- Dmitri Aliev SP. I've been noticing him for quite some time with his interesting 3f entry; but this is the first time I actually fall in love with his skating, so beautiful and really stand out from the rest of the field. He's just 17 but with all the emotion he put into his program, he gets something special.
- Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA SP+FP. my favorite junior dance team, I think they get everything a good ice dance team need they just need time to shine.
- Ria SCHWENDINGER / Valentin WUNDERLICH FD. still unrefined and kind junior-ish, but I think it's the most interesting program in this dance competition.
- Kevin Aymoz SP. My biggest surprise of the competition, I've never heard of him before but he seems get good technique and very interesting to watch.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Haven't watched any men's and only a few ladies programs, but of what I did watch:

- Parson's FD
- Lajoie/Lagha's SD
- Parson's SD
- Lajoie/Lagha's FD
- Marin Honda's SP

I swear I watched pairs too, but it's mostly the dance that I'll be going back and watching. Which makes sense I guess since dance is my favourite in senior as well. I wasn't really watching juniors before except for a few ladies, but I really love the Parson's now. I'm excited to see what they do in senior next season.