2017 Junior Worlds: Ladies recap | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Junior Worlds: Ladies recap

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why was Zagitova's win "shocking" based on how this competition went? Zagitova skated well in both the short and long programs. So did Honda.

I thought gmyers was being ironic, because some folks mentioned it will be a total meltdown for all Russian ladies. :biggrin:

This is basically it! Also you can't deny Russian lost dance (co favorites) and pairs (gigantic overwhelming favorites)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Relax please ))) I don't expect anything from them but just happy to see them both smile.

Haha, don't play into the hype or the rivalry or whatever the media is doing. Most of these skaters are very happy to be at international events. Disappointed in results, maybe, but they are happy to be there. They are grinning ear to ear. They are more than happy to share a milk shake with each other.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
In fact, I think having a nice relationship with your major rivalry is healthy and helps you to calm down when competing side by side. There is nothing to lose to be nice to other skaters.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
When was the last time a US lady won Junior Worlds? Was it Rachael Flatt? It seems like there should have been a winner since then.....I thought Gracie Won but, I just checked and I guess not.

Gracie was our highest place finish in recent memory. With better programs it might have been possible for her to win.

narcissa

Record Breaker
In fact, I think having a nice relationship with your major rivalry is healthy and helps you to calm down when competing side by side. There is nothing to lose to be nice to other skaters.

Plus you see them at every event. Why have bad blood :p

mrrice

Record Breaker
I completely agree with this response. She was spectacular when I saw her skate to that weird techno version of a Christmas song. Do you guys remember that? I have to find it, BRB. It wasn't a Christmas song. It was the dance of the sugar plum fairy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8_cAgdoE8

I really thought she'd be a star after seeing this program and frankly, Gracie is a star. However, I pegged her to be World Champion and she's still young enough to make it happen. I truly hope she does.

Last edited:

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight

I hope fans can also put disagreements aside ))) There's nothing to lose to be nice to other people/skaters hhhhhh

Healthy critics have never done anything wrong but in the contrary can contribute to every skater, agreed. When word knives are flying in this thread, it's actually nice to remember that skaters who are only 14-16 yo behave much more mature than fans.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I really thought she'd be a star after seeing this program and frankly, Gracie is a star. However, I pegged her to be World Champion and she's still young enough to make it happen. I truly hope she does.

Did you just see the Jr championship? Those 3 medalists have nerve of steel. No problem with edge call, no problem with rotation. All have bigger jumps than Gracie. All can deliver 3 triples in the SP, 7 triples in the LP. These 3 will push her down 3 more spots. I don't see her becoming a world medalist, let along world champion. That's a fantasy at this point. Even Carolina who does everything a lot better than Gracie will have trouble holding back these girls. None of the current US girls (juniors and seniors) are anywhere near this level. It's sad, but it's the reality.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Did you just see the Jr championship? Those 3 medalists have nerve of steel. No problem with edge call, no problem with rotation. All have bigger jumps than Gracie. All can deliver 3 triples in the SP, 7 triples in the LP. These 3 will push her down 3 more spots. I don't see her becoming a world medalist, let along world champion. That's a fantasy at this point. Even Carolina who does everything a lot better than Gracie will have trouble holding back these girls. None of the current US girls (juniors and seniors) are anywhere near this level. It's sad, but it's the reality.

Now now Gracie has pretty big jumps still...and you cant compare junior 15 yrs old to Gracie senior 21 yrs old. Gracie too won a medal at jr worlds..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now now Gracie has pretty big jumps still...and you cant compare junior 15 yrs old to Gracie senior 21 yrs old. Gracie too won a medal at jr worlds..

I think if Gracie just bent her knees more when she jumped it would look much bigger. Her stiff knees at take off and landing add to an illusion that she has small jumps.

Last edited: