Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies: Medvedeva and the Battle for Silver and Bronze

Helsinki last hosted the World Figure Skating Championships in 1999, when Russian veteran Maria Butyrskaya became her country’s first surprise gold medallist, outskating American icon Michelle Kwan. This year, the surprise will come if a Russian woman is not on the podium.

More

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
To be honest, the poll here should be who will place 2nd. Everyone knows who'll win the title, unless something catastrophic happens.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I would love Kaetlyn to win as I love her presence on the ice, I was going for Satoko but sadly she's out. So Evgenia it is :)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Someone broke the 100% on Evgenia! Sacrilege!

(I can't seem to be able to vote, though).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
To be honest, the poll here should be who will place 2nd. Everyone knows who'll win the title, unless something catastrophic happens.

Ice is slippery, but not for Evgenia. What are the odds of her not winning? Can you bet on Figure Skating? You could make a lot of money, if she won't get the Gold.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Is it relevant for the poll that it's about who will earn the title instead of who will win it? Sorry, non-native speaker here.

moriel

Record Breaker
Whoever has Thor's fingerprints may lift this hammer.
We unworthy can make our own alternative poll only for unworthy fans :hap85:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Evgenia looks pretty good this year for first but her "shelf life" must be ending soon. Don't Russian ladies/girls last only a year or two at most (LOL)> I seriously hope she bucks the trend. Though my fave this year is not Ashley but the other (North) American - Osmond.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think Evgenia looks pretty good this year for first but her "shelf life" must be ending soon. Don't Russian ladies/girls last only a year or two at most (LOL)> I seriously hope she bucks the trend. Though my fave this year is not Ashley but the other (North) American - Osmond.

I am not sure, she seems pretty intent on trying to develop further, and reading interviews about how she perceives skating, I would say she has a fair chance of sticking around. In general, I hope she does, even if she's not at the very top because it's good to have the same faces for longer than two years; good for the sport. It's also why I don't like the, win a medal at the Olys and quit thing.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I voted for Evgenia Medvedeva, because I'm an expert you know. :laugh:

Only the real experts could predict her win. Has there every been a competition that was as set in stone as this one? Probably not.

moriel

Record Breaker
Only the real experts could predict her win. Has there every been a competition that was as set in stone as this one? Probably not.

I can only imagine what happens to preditions if she bombs or gets sick or something.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
No Karen Chan? lol... oh ye of little faith!! (I still believe in you Karen!!)

Given the title of the thread is who will 'earn' the title, not who will win the title. My answer goes to

Other: The Russia Federation :cool:

Reason being, while everyone is competing as themselves, Russia competed as a federation the strongest, the longest, from all the way from installing Lakernik, strategizing the rule changes, judges panel selection, optimise program structure, aligning the right age skaters ahead of time in and out. The others are simply no match. They earned their meddling medals, newbie skaters earn PCS from nowhere, momentum building over a season while it would have take others years. They earned their gold.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with Evgenia winning everything, I don't, she clearly deserves it, but I wish there was a way that Kaetlyn or Anna could beat her if she makes a mistake or two and they go clean. I don't think that's unreasonable. No matter how dominant Hanyu is, if he makes mistakes he is vulnerable (not only to BV-crazy guys like Nathan, but to guys like Patrick and Javi).

It takes the suspense out of everything, and I don't think it's good for the sport as a whole. Not because Evgenia is undeserving, but because viewers want suspense and drama! Rivalries or up and coming underdogs are captivating for not only fans, but for people new to the sport just tuning in. Maybe by the Olympics next season there will be some suspense, with the introduction of Alina and Marin to seniors, plus the possibility of a new and improved Gracie Gold. A Plushenko in 2006 situation would not be fun at all.